Computers & Electronics

Inkjet Printers For Busy Household - Canon MegaTank, Epson Or Neither?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 8:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 13, 2016
72 posts
59 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …

Inkjet Printers For Busy Household - Canon MegaTank, Epson Or Neither?

I notice Canon and Epson have products that accept color ink refills via bottle instead of cartridges claiming to be significantly cheaper over the life of product in high use settings.

But purchase cost is $260 and up for Canon MegaTank G3200. That is a lot higher in comparison to cartridge based ink jets at sub $100.

Any experience with these Canon or Epson printers?

Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
15947 posts
3231 upvotes
Toronto
Do you really need colour? If not I’d recommend a monochrome laser. They don’t clog up and the cost per page after the initial purchase is usually a lot less. They also tend to be much faster.
Oct 26, 2006
522 posts
57 upvotes
Oshawa (East GTA)
I only use lazer. Toner is cheap with nonoem carts
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14913 posts
1734 upvotes
Oshawa
Badbrad wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:13 am
I notice Canon and Epson have products that accept color ink refills via bottle instead of cartridges claiming to be significantly cheaper over the life of product in high use settings.

But purchase cost is $260 and up for Canon MegaTank G3200. That is a lot higher in comparison to cartridge based ink jets at sub $100.

Any experience with these Canon or Epson printers?

Thanks.
The Canons reportedly have better print quality than the Epsons. You can't just look at the upfront cost, you have to calculate cost per page and whether you'll print enough to justify one.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Nov 1, 2017
342 posts
95 upvotes
You can convert regular printers into inktank printers. It's more expensive than buying refillable cartridges, but it's cheaper than buying an inktank printer outright.

You can find sellers on Kijiji and ebay.

I went the refillable cartridge way since its cheaper, but after a year I'm starting to regret not buying a tank kit.

Here's one of the cheaper designs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Continuous-Ink ... nav=SEARCH
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3016 posts
452 upvotes
Markham, ON
Neither.

Get a laser printer from Brother. If your household is busy, as in, corporate business busy- Get a Xerox laser printer.
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3675 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
These days, even the cost of colour laser has come down a lot. I think the only real use case for colour inkjet at home is if you're printing a lot of photographic- or graphic-design grade work on a routine basis.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23492 posts
3793 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:53 am
You can convert regular printers into inktank printers. It's more expensive than buying refillable cartridges, but it's cheaper than buying an inktank printer outright.

You can find sellers on Kijiji and ebay.
Indeed. All these offerings from Epson (and now Canon it looks like) are just a standard model inkjunk from their lineup with a factory-CIS system and a hugely inflated price. The Epson ones, if you buy the non "EcoTank" version of the same printer it's way cheaper. They're just charging a huge markup for a CIS system, the only advantage being you get to retain your warranty unlike an aftermarket CIS.

If you really wanted you should just buy the cheaper standard inkjunk and then add a CIS system to it, and it'll cost you a lot less. However I wouldn't recommend buying the injunk at all to begin with, since it will probably break in two days even with first-party carts and whatever. They're just pure trash these days, dunno why people bother with them.