• Dec 24th, 2008 2:39 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 22, 2008
6 posts
4 upvotes

Inner Workings of Online Shopping

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there is somebody out there who has any experience a)from a developer's standpoint or b)from a shopper's standpoint, on how the checkout system works when online shopping. I'm interested in multiple items on the FS website, however, I what I would really like to know is this: When is the item "secured"? When it is in your cart? When you confirm final payment? Half way through the payment options? Or is it simply a race to the checkout. If this were the case, I would have to choose the one most important item and checkout right away; without any hope of picking up more than one deal.

Any insights would be appreciated. (I also realize that this is basically and extension of the very useful "Online Shopping Tips" thread.)
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2322 posts
1546 upvotes
Typically, the item isn't "yours" until you've completed the checkout process and have an order number assigned to you.
Apr 20, 2005
693 posts
7 upvotes
British Columbia
With Future Shop in particular, you have to finish the checkout before the item becomes 'yours'. Putting it in your cart means nothing.

In past years when I was doing Future Shop boxing day, I simply made a separate order for each product I was interested in in descending order. For example, most interested in item 1--add to cart, check out. Item 2--whoohoo still there, add to cart, check out. Etc. Don't wait on the item that you want by adding multiple products to your order, because you'll probably lose the one item you want.

As much as the folks around here are screaming 'cold deal' and whatnot, you can bet your booty the site will be overrun with people trying to get some deals anyway.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
ok, i'm looking for slightly more clarification.
let's say i want two items. i put first item in my cart, and then it takes me 20seconds to put second item in my cart.

is the only 'extra time' the 20seconds it took me to make two mouse clicks, or is there additional wait time after the fact going on 'behind the scenes'?

i ask because there is one item i REALLY want, and then i'm looking to get a hard drive, but have about 5 different models to choose from.

also, i'm assuming there's no way to log in on two computers and queue up the second item while your checking out with the first?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
1706 posts
169 upvotes
Saskatoon
kamascottra wrote: ok, i'm looking for slightly more clarification.
let's say i want two items. i put first item in my cart, and then it takes me 20seconds to put second item in my cart.

is the only 'extra time' the 20seconds it took me to make two mouse clicks, or is there additional wait time after the fact going on 'behind the scenes'?

i ask because there is one item i REALLY want, and then i'm looking to get a hard drive, but have about 5 different models to choose from.

also, i'm assuming there's no way to log in on two computers and queue up the second item while your checking out with the first?
leave the hard drive. there aren't any good deals right now anyway (and the ones there are are no-name brands which you probably shouldn't trust your data to anyway).

i've been following HDDs for a while looking to pick up a 1tb internal, and lots of speculation says they'll be <~100 in the new year. externals go on sale way more than that, so just tough it out, and go for the item you REALLY want.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
appreciate the advice, and that's definitely an option i've been toying with. i'm looking at the WD, not a crappy one, i've already got one, and wouldn't mind a matching unit. while i agree its nothing worth standing in line for, its still a fair price at this point in time. i was going to buy two, but seeing the deals i'm not worried about needing more space in june and not being able to match the price, haha. as it turns out my bank account might limit my buying decision anyway.

anyway, if i don't hear anything i'm sure i'll just leave the hard drive for 'round two' and be sure i give myself the best chance of getting what i really want, but i am curious just in case something else comes up.
Jul 22, 2008
34 posts
8 upvotes
topgeardog wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there is somebody out there who has any experience a)from a developer's standpoint or b)from a shopper's standpoint, on how the checkout system works when online shopping. I'm interested in multiple items on the FS website, however, I what I would really like to know is this: When is the item "secured"? When it is in your cart? When you confirm final payment? Half way through the payment options? Or is it simply a race to the checkout. If this were the case, I would have to choose the one most important item and checkout right away; without any hope of picking up more than one deal.

Any insights would be appreciated. (I also realize that this is basically and extension of the very useful "Online Shopping Tips" thread.)
The shopping site I developed a couple of years back, used to put Item "On hold" when added to cart (Qty is reduced from stock), then we had timeout. If cart is not checked out in 20 mins or there is no activity in next 10 mins, we kill the session and put item back into stock.

Future shop cart may differ.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes

Log in to futureshop. Open all 5 pages. As soon as sales start, refresh all pages and you will get the new price. Checkout...

Got to add, that just adding to cart does not guarentee purchase. So, if you need something badly and not sure just go ahead and buy it first. Do it with every product you want. Once you have ordered everything, review and cancel any order you don't need :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
CalgaryRunner wrote: Typically, the item isn't "yours" until you've completed the checkout process and have an order number assigned to you.
Get real. The item isn't "yours" until you have it in your hand. BB/FS frequently fail to fulfill orders for any number of reasons, even after they've taken your credit card for the sale.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
55 upvotes
Eyeman wrote: Get real. The item isn't "yours" until you have it in your hand. BB/FS frequently fail to fulfill orders for any number of reasons, even after they've taken your credit card for the sale.
The item is not yours even if you buy it ..in the case of software..
Apr 20, 2005
693 posts
7 upvotes
British Columbia

In that 20 seconds, 500 other people could have already hit check out. By the time you hit check out, you're in the queue behind those 500 other people--who could have been after the same product--so by the time the queue gets to you, the product can be sold out.

Follow the advice of another person in this thread--simply decide on what you want BEFOREHAND, load the page up when the sale starts and check out. Every extra second you spend indecisive is an extra second tonnes of people more decisive have to get in line before you.

If you can't decide--then don't buy! HDD prices aren't all that fabulous deals-wise right now anyway.

Whatever you do--good luck, happy searching.
Sep 12, 2008
77 posts
Montreal
punjabiyaar wrote: The shopping site I developed a couple of years back, used to put Item "On hold" when added to cart (Qty is reduced from stock), then we had timeout. If cart is not checked out in 20 mins or there is no activity in next 10 mins, we kill the session and put item back into stock.

Future shop cart may differ.
Still using the same rules today. Sometimes, there are extra rules that say if the remaining stock is low, the quantity in the cart is not reduced from stock until checkout has started. So you might still get a pleasant surprise message on checkout when stock is low.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2008
1439 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
qrayzie wrote: In that 20 seconds, 500 other people could have already hit check out. By the time you hit check out, you're in the queue behind those 500 other people--who could have been after the same product--so by the time the queue gets to you, the product can be sold out.

Follow the advice of another person in this thread--simply decide on what you want BEFOREHAND, load the page up when the sale starts and check out. Every extra second you spend indecisive is an extra second tonnes of people more decisive have to get in line before you.

If you can't decide--then don't buy! HDD prices aren't all that fabulous deals-wise right now anyway.

Whatever you do--good luck, happy searching.
cool thanks.

upon further inverstigation, i'm going to forget about the HD completely i think. i've seen a couple online retailers that are cheaper, and they are only about 12bux off right now, so not a big deal if i don't get one tonight.

thanks for the advice guys. i'll just stick to the one item i actually really want, and think i might have trouble getting. the rest can wait

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)