Hot Deals

Insanely HOT! Open Jaw 3-in-1 Trip - YUL -> Tokyo -> Bangkok -> Manila -> YUL

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 7:18 pm
Jul 22, 2007
222 posts
44 upvotes
Booked 2 tickets Nov 23 - Dec 4 Toronto to Ho Chi Minh returning Manila to Toronto $462.00 each. Pretty sweet. Found a few different days in November for similar price. Just play around on flighthub.

Planning a day in Ho Chi Minh, then heading to Da Nang then training to Dong Hoi to see the caves. Any tips on where to stay would be greatly appreciated!
My Plan - Supertalk 15, 250 txt/Unlmtd incoming txt, My 5 Faves Nationwide, U/L Incoming, T2T, Unlimted Web/IM/Email, .10 cent LD - $42.32
Sep 29, 2009
55 posts
13 upvotes
Calgary
wudtsilake wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 11:08 pm

As mentioned, CAD citizens require a visa for Vietnam. A single entry visa-on-arrival is $25 USD plus the cost of the invitation letter ($11 USD). I used visa4vietnam.com and it worked fine.

First time I visited Vietnam I applied for an actual visa from the embassy and it was $120 USD. Go with the visa on arrival, it's obviously much cheaper, and it's what most people do.
Does doing the actual visa save you time getting into the country? I read on the Vietnam embassy site that the approval letter is only for extreme emergencies and humanitarian purposes. But if I can skip lines and stuff cuz I have a visa already then I'll definitely do the actual visa.
Aug 6, 2007
730 posts
183 upvotes
Montreal, QC
wudtsilake wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 11:08 pm
Just came back from one of these deals--SFO-TYO-BKK//KUL-YXS. $690 CAD.

I booked it on ANA's site, which you might be able to do as well. Just use the multi-city function, and enter the dates mentioned in the posts.

This is the second time I've picked up one of these deals, and I can definitely recommend ANA. Good hard and soft product, 2 checked bags free.

I also visited Saigon and Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) on the trip. This is a great option with an open jaw like this. You can get flights between SE Asian countries for $50-150 with Airasia and other low cost airlines.

For those looking for info on cost, Tokyo is expensive (though slightly less expensive than, say New York or London), KUL is less expensive, BKK still less expensive, then Saigon, then Siem Reap.

I did not see a single insect or creepy crawly in any of the rooms I booked (averaged less than $100 CAD/night). All were clean, comfortable, and air conditioned.

Other than Tokyo, and particularly in BKK and Siem Reap, you can stay in a room that would cost several hundred here for less than $100 CAD. My room in Siem Reap was $50 per night and was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at in terms of both comfort and service.

As mentioned, CAD citizens require a visa for Vietnam. A single entry visa-on-arrival is $25 USD plus the cost of the invitation letter ($11 USD). I used visa4vietnam.com and it worked fine.

First time I visited Vietnam I applied for an actual visa from the embassy and it was $120 USD. Go with the visa on arrival, it's obviously much cheaper, and it's what most people do.
I guess my travels in Saigon and Siem Reap, and Tokyo were a little bit different in price.

When I was in SaiGone a few yrs ago I stayed in a dive that was clean and pleasant for $8, in Siem Reap a few yrs ago I stayed in a dive that was clean and pleasant for $1, and in Tokyo this past spring I stayed in a clean and pleasant hostel for $21.

:-)
Dec 11, 2001
259 posts
10 upvotes
Manitoba, Canada
Keep in mind that the airline might not let you fly to Vietnam without a valid visa, and that the Vietnamese Consulate in Canada strongly advises that you purchase your visa through them prior to departing. I contacted them with only 2 weeks left before my flight regarding this issue, and they told me that I should still acquire the visa through them and not take a chance at the border or with the airline. It ended up costing around 100 US after shipping to get my visa.
Dec 11, 2001
259 posts
10 upvotes
Manitoba, Canada
jnjn wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 1:26 am
Does doing the actual visa save you time getting into the country? I read on the Vietnam embassy site that the approval letter is only for extreme emergencies and humanitarian purposes. But if I can skip lines and stuff cuz I have a visa already then I'll definitely do the actual visa.
If you don't have a visa on arrival, then you have to go to a line to get the visa, before going to the line to get into the county. Also keep in mind that if you have a valid visa you are basically guaranteed entry into the country, if you go only with an approval letter, you can still be rejected at the airport and then your vacation is ruined.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1015 posts
770 upvotes
Make sure your passports are valid for at least 6 months or you will be sent home.

Also, don't do anything stupid in Thailand during this time for many reasons. There are also a lot of police checks on the islands lately targeting "smokers". If you "smoke" in Canada make sure there are no traces in your blood.

Don't bring e-cigarettes over the border or you may end up in the slammer.
Nov 1, 2003
634 posts
99 upvotes
GoogleFish wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:53 pm
Is that website legit? So you need to buy this “invitation letter”?
Very legit. I just used it for a multiple entry visa letter for 2 of us. Paid $12USD for 2 day turnaround and got it within 24hrs. They may batch you with other travelers so your letter actually includes info for other people too. You take it to immigration and then pay your stamping fee.
Nov 1, 2003
634 posts
99 upvotes
petrek wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 5:36 am
Keep in mind that the airline might not let you fly to Vietnam without a valid visa, and that the Vietnamese Consulate in Canada strongly advises that you purchase your visa through them prior to departing. I contacted them with only 2 weeks left before my flight regarding this issue, and they told me that I should still acquire the visa through them and not take a chance at the border or with the airline. It ended up costing around 100 US after shipping to get my visa.
I've been following the Tripadvisor boards about the Vietnam visa and no one has had trouble with a VOA letter. The reason the embassy uses scare tactics is because they charge an extra $100 for doing it through them. I wish Canadians were eligible for the e-visa like Americans, or even better, not need a visa like many other countries.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
6978 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
GPS wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 9:55 pm
Very legit. I just used it for a multiple entry visa letter for 2 of us. Paid $12USD for 2 day turnaround and got it within 24hrs. They may batch you with other travelers so your letter actually includes info for other people too. You take it to immigration and then pay your stamping fee.
were you required to bring along 2x passport pictures as well? I saw this somewhere and wanted to confirm. I got the letter already.
Aug 12, 2003
329 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
trixR4kids wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 4:48 pm
were you required to bring along 2x passport pictures as well? I saw this somewhere and wanted to confirm. I got the letter already.
Which website did you use for the letter?
Nov 1, 2003
634 posts
99 upvotes
trixR4kids wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 4:48 pm
I haven't made my trip yet. I just got the VOA letter. You need passport size photos but they don't need to be official ones. I'm just going to take them myself as I need them for Cambodia and Laos as well.
Sep 14, 2017
17 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Anyone have any success booking for after xmas/early Jan to mid Jan?
CJ
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1279 posts
163 upvotes
Is anyone able to find any availability at a good price for a short trip December 13-22, departing either Toronto or Montreal, spending a few days in either BKK, Ho Ci Minh, Tokyo, where ever? Everything I see is around $1500. I've got some time off during this time, wouldn't mind taking a cheap trip.
Jan 25, 2005
36 posts
3 upvotes
A big "Thank you" to the op.
Just a booked a flight to Mtl -> Ho chi Mon City ->Bangkok -> Manila for End of April/beginning of May - 3 wks fo $711.
One week to spend in each . ( I know - one week is not enough to do justice)

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent clean family hotel (3/4 star) for family of four, nad the rates if you know them.
and any suggestions for a best way to spend the week in each of those places. I expect we will mostly spend time in and around the big cities that we fly to.

Any help with an itinerary would be greatly appreciated , for anyone that has been to those places.

Thanks