Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 13, 2007
98 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Insert over your existing bathtub and walls

Has anyone used a company to insert a liner over the existing bathtub and walls? Were you happy with the results and what were the approximate cost?

I live in a condo and this is my only bathroom therefore living without a bathtub/shower for a few days is not an easy option. Any other recommendations?

There is water damage on the back wall. Beforehand I'll remove the drywall/tiles on the back wall and then I'll redrywall the back wall fixing the water damage.

Your comments are appreciated....thanks!
10 replies
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
as far as I am concerned, it is lipstick on a pig. with water damage on the walls, you are just covering up mold, it is still there.If your tub is otherwise in good shape, get a quote for doing a tiled shower surround, it may not be as bad as you think, and way nicer than the plastic covers.
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
I would never consider it,,,,, spend the extra and get it done right
Mar 29, 2003
817 posts
1 upvote
The only time I'd do it if I was selling it. I just re did my bathroom, actually its an on going project. But like other says, get it done right. I gutted my whole bathroom, I was just planning to get a new tub and surround, but it was all rotted and crap, but its a lot nicer now.
Toshiba P100 Laptop.
17" WXGA, Intel Centrino Duo T7200 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 200 GB SATA HDD, Maxtor 500 GB SATA External, GeForce 7600 256 MB.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
10 upvotes
KELOWNA
Yes it's nice if you can do a full gut, but when you only have one bathroom, time does become very important unless you plan to live elsewhere for a while.

Some neighbours of mine had Bathfitters do their bathroom and it was every bit as good and attractive as the one piecers usually installed in new builds (it's also the same material). It was also done in less than a day and they were very pleased with it (and these were people who don't do low end finishes so for them to be happy with it says quite a bit). Cost was about $3500 and I can tell you from experience, getting a new tub and tiles will run you at least that plus any damage to floors getting the tub out.

I can tell you from what has happened at my house, it's a day to get the old tub out and new one in (depending on what type it is and how easy they can cut the floor and wall away) which includes new fixtures installed, a day to get the old shower walls down and new cement board up, another day to seal the seams, lay new subfloor (remember you have to do a new floor from cutting out the tub). Add at least 3 days to tile, grout, and seal shower enclosure and floor because you have to allow for drying/setting time. Prices depend on what you choose to do but min is probably at least $3500 and you have little access to your bathroom for a week. So, Bathfitters a good alternative with a much nicer look than the plastic coves you get at the hardware store. They also offer different finishes so you don't have to go with plain white anymore.

It's definitely worth a look because they are pretty good for the price and they are also very easy to live with since there are minimal seams and they are sealed.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
Dustbunny wrote:
Nov 15th, 2007 4:39 am
Yes it's nice if you can do a full gut, but when you only have one bathroom, time does become very important unless you plan to live elsewhere for a while.

Some neighbours of mine had Bathfitters do their bathroom and it was every bit as good and attractive as the one piecers usually installed in new builds (it's also the same material). It was also done in less than a day and they were very pleased with it (and these were people who don't do low end finishes so for them to be happy with it says quite a bit). Cost was about $3500 and I can tell you from experience, getting a new tub and tiles will run you at least that plus any damage to floors getting the tub out.

I can tell you from what has happened at my house, it's a day to get the old tub out and new one in (depending on what type it is and how easy they can cut the floor and wall away) which includes new fixtures installed, a day to get the old shower walls down and new cement board up, another day to seal the seams, lay new subfloor (remember you have to do a new floor from cutting out the tub). Add at least 3 days to tile, grout, and seal shower enclosure and floor because you have to allow for drying/setting time. Prices depend on what you choose to do but min is probably at least $3500 and you have little access to your bathroom for a week. So, Bathfitters a good alternative with a much nicer look than the plastic coves you get at the hardware store. They also offer different finishes so you don't have to go with plain white anymore.

It's definitely worth a look because they are pretty good for the price and they are also very easy to live with since there are minimal seams and they are sealed.
I've seen them and personally think its a waste of $$$$,,, quality? I dont think so.

Renovations are never convenient. You lose your bathroom,, well thats the price of replacement. You can buy a temp shower unit which you can use in a basement laundry room,,, or go to family or the local rec center etc. There are ways if you want to replace something properly and not cover up the old. Spend the extra few grand to do it right ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1420 posts
29 upvotes
Maple
We used another company (can't remember their name) in our old house to cover up an old bathtub and the walls around it. They were much cheaper than Bathfitters, and also got everything done in a day, and did a very good job. While I agree it's only a band-aid solution, it definitely does a good job escpecially with time and budget constraints.

I would have to consider the age of the condo, and how long you plan to be there before suggesting to go this route or get the job done properly, and maybe rent a hotel room for a couple of nights.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2007
98 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Everyone’s comments are much appreciated.

And that’s my dilemma I’m planning on moving in about a year (the condo is about 15 yrs old) and the bathtub and surround need to be fixed beforehand. I am planning on getting a ‘reputable’ company to do the work and I have heard somewhat positive comments regarding the refitting companies. My understanding is they use better and more solid material then that bought at the big box construction stores.

I don’t want to spend a tone of money (or time) redoing the entire bathroom therefore just want to focus on the bathtub and surround. But, most importantly I want this job done right.

Any other comments are great, thanks!
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I can tell you that a friend of ours in the rental business uses Bathfitters. As Dustbunny said, about $3500 and up, depending on what you choose. The units are much better quality that what you'll find for tub surrounds in the big box stores. He was hesitant at first being that he's dealing with rental units. Generally, renters are very rough on stuff and don't generally maintain or take care of things. He was leary of scratching, etc. He now has some that have been installed for close on 10 years and they still look good...
[OP]
Nov 13, 2007
98 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thanks Dustbunny.

It's true if I were planning on living at my current location for a while I would invest the time to redo my entire bathroom. The first contractor has left and made a positive impression three more to go!
Jan 10, 2007
252 posts
7 upvotes
I had Bathfitters do my tub several years ago, everything else was fine but the tub was a mess. It cost around 500 if I remember but I don't regret it. it was a full days work, just for the tub and it looks great. A year earlier I had the tub refinished and it peeled in sections, checked the guarantee, what a waste of paper. But do fix the damage before hand
× < >