• Jan 15th, 2020 2:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2174 posts
914 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

Inspection before warranty expires?

Is it worthwhile to take your car in for an inspection to see if there are any issues that can be fixed under warranty?

This would be to identify issues that I don’t see myself (I’m not a mechanic or very.. automotively inclined). I would not be opposed to paying a reasonable diagnostic fee.
This space for rent.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30997 posts
16746 upvotes
Ottawa
Sure, it's called a 100 or 150 point inspection and you have to pay for it.
I guarantee you they will find all non warranty issues, related to wear and tear.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2174 posts
914 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
vkizzle wrote: Sure, it's called a 100 or 150 point inspection and you have to pay for it.
I guarantee you they will find all non warranty issues, related to wear and tear.
So.. are you saying it's not worth it?

Is it better to go to the dealership (where I've had all my servicing done thus far), or an independent mechanic?
Would the dealership not have an incentive to find warranty-eligible issues? Given their service department would get paid by the manufacturer?
This space for rent.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30997 posts
16746 upvotes
Ottawa
TheImp wrote: So.. are you saying it's not worth it?

Is it better to go to the dealership (where I've had all my servicing done thus far), or an independent mechanic?
Would the dealership not have an incentive to find warranty-eligible issues? Given their service department would get paid by the manufacturer?
Techs get less book time on warranty work.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1010 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
I would be interested in this answer as well.. I've got year of warranty left still but good to know.

Confused as to how an ind. garage would not be able to assist?
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13836 posts
2354 upvotes
Toronto
In the past, I have taken my vehicle to CAA Vehicle Inspection services. They run a scan to see if there are any codes, and look over the vehicle to see if they find any mechanical issues. At the end of the inspection, they give you a list of things they find and offer suggestions on how to go about getting it fixed under warranty. Their inspection is about $160 but in the times I have used it, it was worth the cost. Having an independent assessment that you can provide to the dealership about work that is needed to be done can be helpful.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Jul 14, 2013
793 posts
306 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: What does not necessarily mean?
Techs do not necessarily get less book time on warranty work. The manufacturer may have determined that there's more procedures or time than what's actually needed to complete a job. This applies to recalls as well. Depending on the job, the tech might like it very much.
Electrah wrote: I would be interested in this answer as well.. I've got year of warranty left still but good to know.

Confused as to how an ind. garage would not be able to assist?
By first having an independent garage to inspect the vehicle, you can then, assuming that there's something wrong with the car, have a complaint to the dealership.
Last edited by n0thing on Jan 14th, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
30997 posts
16746 upvotes
Ottawa
n0thing wrote: Techs do not necessarily get less book time on warranty work. The manufacturer may have determined that there's more procedures or time than what's actually needed to complete a job. This applies to recalls as well. Depending on the job, the tech might like it very much.
Ok, I see what you mean.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2174 posts
914 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
hightech wrote: In the past, I have taken my vehicle to CAA Vehicle Inspection services. They run a scan to see if there are any codes, and look over the vehicle to see if they find any mechanical issues. At the end of the inspection, they give you a list of things they find and offer suggestions on how to go about getting it fixed under warranty. Their inspection is about $160 but in the times I have used it, it was worth the cost. Having an independent assessment that you can provide to the dealership about work that is needed to be done can be helpful.
Do you need to be a CAA member for this?
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3943 posts
2565 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Ask your dealership. My BMW dealer was very good to me and suggested to do a near end of warranty work inspection and offered it for free. I was amazed he offered that for free and I didn't even ask for it. They tried to find as many things as they can to "fix".
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1850 posts
1735 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Depends on your relationship with the dealership..

If you're going in without an actual issue that warranty would cover, you have to pay a fee obviously. I would just call the service provider and be honest: warranty is ending soon and you want them to check and see if any warranty work is needed on the car. Maybe book an oil change to see if they'll waive the inspection fee.

In my experiences dealerships love warranty work (except when it's in the middle of the tire changing rushes).
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12342 posts
6201 upvotes
Toronto
with my Volvo, i had free service until 80K, which is also when the warranty expired.

I brought it in just before then with a few complaints and had a few other things looked at as well.

In the end, the car got a "check up" and all the issues were fixed under warranty.