Art and Photography

Instagram removed my foto - no explanation, nothing!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2017 7:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10085 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

Instagram removed my foto - no explanation, nothing!

K, I took a foto of the famous blue building on Graffiti Alley (see pic). I cant figure out why they delete it. It's my pic, my post-processing, everything... there are no offensive images, acronyms, messages, violence or anything that violates guidelines. It's freakin building, lol. It's been shown on media, in advertisements, tourism pics, google, etc. of varying degrees, lighting, and angles. Yet anyone can complain and they remove the foto without checking?? I did a google search only to find one post on reddit about 2 mos ago of a similar pic at a similar angle but it's not even close. So where can I defend myself to Instagram to get my foto back?? Sure I can repost it again. I did not receive ANY notification, email, direct message - nothing! It was up for only 2 days and poof! It's gone. Where can I complain to IG? I dont see any direct link and everything seems to have to be on a cell fone, no desktop version. Argh!

1. My pic. Shot in evening.

2. Reddit guy's version. guy_ik/reddit. Only found this searching in google after my pic was taken down. Not even close. Different lighting, angle, time of day, distance, etc.
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/commen ... iti_alley/
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
22 replies
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10085 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
BeanFinn wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 8:00 pm
https://help.instagram.com
Thanks. I went thru that help page which was anything but help to a user when you're the one having the pic removed. Everything on IG help supports the person that may hold a copyright. IG doesnt even check to see if the pics are same/similar in any fashion. Once they receive a copyright claim or any report claim that violates the community guidelines they remove at will. There is NO report form for the user to make a response claim or to defend oneself. So anyone can make a real or fake report claim and pic gets taken down with ZERO recourse. It says wait for a response from the "offended" party stating their contact info, copyright claim, agency etc, email and to solve it privately. I have received ZERO notification from anybody. I have a strong suspicion it's the reddit guy as his foto was referred to in several local news articles. It's the closest pic to mine even tho they have nothing in common other than it's the same blue mural building.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2339 posts
151 upvotes
They did what? OP, I'm mad as hell right now.

Nice pic btw.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10085 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Thanks! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Apr 12, 2008
488 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Your pic is much better than the one on Reddit.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10085 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
M_Matt wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 9:29 pm
Your pic is much better than the one on Reddit.
Maybe the reason why he filed a copyright claim? lol. I'm assuming that's what it is since I've received nada... nothing from anyone as to why.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
4938 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
Can't u repost and see what happens?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1299 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
Some of these companies use bots to determine proper copyrights(in-hour google image search) and don't bother to compare further.
A while back I took a "professional-looking" picture of a Sigma lens I had and put the lens for sale on Ebay. A week later the image was deleted for...copyright violation. Sent them an email about it and relisted the auction. Got an email that it was probably a mistake if the image is mine.

A few days later the auction was deleted again for the same reason and mentioned that Sigma, the lens manufacturer had a copyright claim against my image and asked me to provide a counter DMCA notice. I emailed Ebay VERO informing them of the proper laws and procedures and to provide the notice to me from Sigma with the proof that the image is theirs because it is a part of a DMCA and they must forward it to the "violator". There's also a law against fake DMCA requests and in my case Sigma wasn't acting in accordance with the law. Sigma got in touch with me and notified Ebay of their mistake. Case solved.

Moral of the story: mistakes happen :)
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10085 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Pochacco wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:17 pm
Can't u repost and see what happens?
Yup, I just did... with an attached explanation. I got sarcastic in the end. lol.
I posted this pic a few days back. It is my own work, my shot, my pic, and my post-processing. Instagram removed this foto. It does not violate any rules as set forth in IG’s Community Guidelines. Nor does it violate any copyright. The blue mural building is well known and has been shown in various media, tourist pics, flyers, travel brochures, et al. However, NONE of those fotos depict the building at nite that I’m aware of and certainly not at this distance, this angle, this time of day, and this lighting. I shot this foto during the evening around sunset hours at the beginning of October. I have yet to receive any notification from IG explaining the reasons for its removal. So really have no idea what I stand accused of... maybe for taking a decent foto?? Lol.
Jun 24, 2015
606 posts
57 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
And this my friends is one of the reasons why I'm not on "The Graham". First and foremost, I'm not a photographer and do not like snapping photos with my camera phone, Secondly, if I did like that stuff,m I would post the photos on my own personal web server and NOT a third party. Why go thru the terms and conditions of Insta Graham and put up with their rules if you dont like them? just put the photos on your own server and call it a day.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10085 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
^^
Foto is still there. Maybe they got the message? lol. No, you dont have to snap fotos with any phone. Vast majority take pics the regular way via dslr. Do all the finishing touches. Then drop in google drive on pc or mac. Open drive app on phone and upload to IG. Takes seconds.
Jun 24, 2015
606 posts
57 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
If u want to showcase your photos, Just open a web site and put your photos there, since you OWN the web site, you decide the terms and conditions ,and you know your photos will never be removed. or Stick with the Graham and be bound to their terms and conditions which is subject to them deleting your photo even if it does not breach copyright act