Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
225 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga

Install stop valve for copper pipe under bathroom sink help please

I want to install stop valve between copper pipe under 2 of my bathroom sink.
Which stop valve is a good one? How do I install it? Thanks
27 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4108 posts
643 upvotes
Kitchener
Post a pic of existing pipe under your sink so we can help you
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6041 posts
1510 upvotes
Get a mini ball valve. Quarter turn on/off and much simpler.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11106 posts
915 upvotes
Kanata
I put compression fit ball valves for my toilet and sink in the basement. Easy peasy, no soldering, and no leaks. I did this in the old house when I moved in, and no problems after 5 years. I am paranoid a bit so I did check them every month but there was no need for any adjustments.
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
If you are new to all this, the easiest is to get a sharkbite valve.. they sell at home depot and other big box stores. You cut off the old valve, clean up the end, and slide the sharkbite valve on.. done. The compression types work well too, but are not as easy to deal with as the sharkbites :)
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
225 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for feedback. Can someone show me picture of stop valve and where can I connect between copper pipe?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11106 posts
915 upvotes
Kanata
Get the one that fits, they look like this

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-8-od- ... ass/963719

You can connect it anywhere you want. I prefer to cut vertically so I would put it at the vertical section where the pipe comes through the floor. Just make sure it is easily accessible and you're good.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
What's your reasoning for adding shut off valves? Sounds like you are inexperienced. If you're not doing any other work, I'd recommend not spending the effort change them until you need to. Best to wait for when you are ready to change the faucets as well. From the pictures you posted, I'd get rid of the hard lines from the copper pipe to the faucet and replace with braid SS lines. But now we are opening up a can of worms.

To answer your question, this is what it should look like:

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Pr ... VAL_01.JPG

In the picture, the valve on the left is a traditional valve, takes many turns to shut off. The one on the right should be a ball valve and only requires a 90 degree turn.

Here's the typical one Home Depot sells:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-8-fem ... lve/959982
This space for rent
Sep 20, 2005
960 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
+1 on the sharkbite, make sure you get a straight cut. Search it on youtube
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
225 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Mr Nobody wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2012 3:25 pm
What's your reasoning for adding shut off valves? Sounds like you are inexperienced. If you're not doing any other work, I'd recommend not spending the effort change them until you need to. Best to wait for when you are ready to change the faucets as well. From the pictures you posted, I'd get rid of the hard lines from the copper pipe to the faucet and replace with braid SS lines. But now we are opening up a can of worms.

To answer your question, this is what it should look like:

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Pr ... VAL_01.JPG

In the picture, the valve on the left is a traditional valve, takes many turns to shut off. The one on the right should be a ball valve and only requires a 90 degree turn.

Here's the typical one Home Depot sells:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-8-fem ... lve/959982
Thanks, the reason is I will change counter top, faucet and sink next month. I wan to prepare the stop valve so i dont have to shut off water all house for a long period of time during renew my bathroom. Should I do it now? Thanks
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
225 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
What is the regular size of coper pipe? 1/2 inch or 3/8?. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
I would do it when you are doing the rest of the stuff. Reason being, with the hard lines on your current faucet, you will need to remove the faucets to add the valves, so might as well wait. Also lets you pick the correct valves for your new faucets in case the connection is different.

Are you doing all the work or is someone else?

EDIT: You could install without removing the faucet by bending the hard lines that connect to the faucet, but care must be taken. I'd still wait and do everything at once. First thing you would do is shut off the water, cut the line, put in the valve, make sure its closed, turn back on water, then you can take your time with the rest of the install (countertop, sink, faucet, etc).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
tutulau wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2012 3:38 pm
What is the regular size of coper pipe? 1/2 inch or 3/8?. Thanks
1/2".

Big one that you might have in the basement would be 3/4. No 3/8. But I'm not a licensed plumber. :)
This space for rent
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
225 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks, I like to do it by myself. The pictures of the valve is 3/8. That is why I ask. I think I will wait to do all at same time. Thanks.
× < >