• May 18th, 2017 6:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1883 posts
98 upvotes
Scarborough

Installed Argentina ROM on my S7 G930F..need some help

I have a unlocked S7 G930F which had the original rom as CWW (no updates for Nougat as of yet).

I flashed it with the Argentina ROM to get the Nougat. Using the phone on Virgin Mobile (Canada). I have noticed my reception is dead at my house and other places (no bars). Tried the sim on my S5 and it had full bars.

Does the ROM have anything to do with the signal issue? Which ROM would be the best to use on Virgin?

If I just flash the CSC will I lose anything?

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12822 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto
If you are stuck, is there anything to lose. Lol, carrier phones and their idiosyncratic software.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11888 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto
Try flashing back to a stock cww ROM, then try using the dialler menu to change CSC?

Launch your phone’s dialer and type in the following code: *#272*Phone’s IMEI#
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1883 posts
98 upvotes
Scarborough
audit13 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 9:43 pm
Try flashing back to a stock cww ROM, then try using the dialler menu to change CSC?

Launch your phone’s dialer and type in the following code: *#272*Phone’s IMEI#
Tried that but CWW (Jamaica) doesnt have Nougat update.
Nov 4, 2015
30 posts
9 upvotes
Halifax
you need modem/base-band files for a carrier that uses the same frequencies as bell. If you flashed something from Argentina it may not have the correct modem for use here. Its been a while since I've owned a Samsung phone, this might not even be possible anymore. Check XDA Developers if you haven't already.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1883 posts
98 upvotes
Scarborough
CoreyH877773 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 12:08 am
you need modem/base-band files for a carrier that uses the same frequencies as bell. If you flashed something from Argentina it may not have the correct modem for use here. Its been a while since I've owned a Samsung phone, this might not even be possible anymore. Check XDA Developers if you haven't already.
I have tried all that..ended up putting a ROM from Italy..CSC from Canada wont be possible as mine is Exonys version and Canadian version is the Snapdragon...testing it out now
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11888 posts
901 upvotes
Toronto
My friend upgraded his Bell s6 to the stock Samsung nougat ROM and was not impressed. Unfortunately, I don't think he can downgrade back to mm.
May 8, 2009
558 posts
140 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Lineage OS ROM official release for Galaxy S7 on XDA dev.

Flash Canadian (Bell) stock firmware (Marshmallow) back to the device. Then flash Lineage OS ROM zips (the rom itself, GApps, and optionally Lineage SU for root), then boot into Android 7.1.1.
If anything goes wrong, repeat previous steps.

Custom ROM's are a much better way to get latest Android updates. Plus you get to be free from TouchWiz :D
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1883 posts
98 upvotes
Scarborough
titaniumtux wrote:
May 18th, 2017 3:55 pm
Lineage OS ROM official release for Galaxy S7 on XDA dev.

Flash Canadian (Bell) stock firmware (Marshmallow) back to the device. Then flash Lineage OS ROM zips (the rom itself, GApps, and optionally Lineage SU for root), then boot into Android 7.1.1.
If anything goes wrong, repeat previous steps.

Custom ROM's are a much better way to get latest Android updates. Plus you get to be free from TouchWiz :D
I don't think its possible to flash Bells firmware onto mine as its a G930F...Canadian version is the G930W8..
May 8, 2009
558 posts
140 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ninety5teg wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:12 pm
I don't think its possible to flash Bells firmware onto mine as its a G930F...Canadian version is the G930W8..
Oh my bad. I do remember Canadian variant of Samsung's have W8. In that Case you'd have to flash stock firmware for G930F global.

Once you're running a custom ROM, assuming it flashed correctly and it's running stable, you should get as much network compatibility as the handset allows.

If you don't get good network coverage on Virgin on your S7 global running stock Marshmallow, it's unlikely that you'll get any better through any other stock ROM on that handset.

You said you get full bars with your S5, is your S5 a Canadian variant?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1883 posts
98 upvotes
Scarborough
titaniumtux wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:23 pm
Oh my bad. I do remember Canadian variant of Samsung's have W8. In that Case you'd have to flash stock firmware for G930F global.

Once you're running a custom ROM, assuming it flashed correctly and it's running stable, you should get as much network compatibility as the handset allows.

If you don't get good network coverage on Virgin on your S7 global running stock Marshmallow, it's unlikely that you'll get any better through any other stock ROM on that handset.

You said you get full bars with your S5, is your S5 a Canadian variant?
Yes the S5 with full bars is the Canadian variant with the model number SM-G900W8. I have tried many roms and in my opinion I think the antennas are partially shot inside the phone...the phone was given to me for free and it was already abused like nothing...front is cracked (glass, 4 different places), rear is shattered in different places (a big line right at the flash and the lens area). That might have done enough damage but other than the signal issue the phone works perfect, even the camera works perfect.

Holding onto to this till I can decide if I want the S8+ (hopefully better camera than the S7) or something else.