Installed Yale smart lock in condo like a boss. Condo super got salty

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 11:26 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
iEyeCaptain wrote: But his profile says Nunavut. I thought you had to list your location to get access to the latest local hot deals.
You’re free to list any location you wish. It has nothing to do with local hot deals. I’ve people list Pacific Ocean as a location, planet earth etc
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
icantfigureoutausername wrote: I don't know anything about condo living but is it the norm that all condo management boards have keys to all the units (just like with rental buildings), and, is it also common that people change the locks to management can't get in? I know in my grandmother's building a lot of people did that.
They aren't supposed to do that. Management needs to be able to get in for emergencies, etc. Just one of the many reasons I don't like condos.
Banned
Aug 28, 2017
301 posts
366 upvotes
wait...there is a lock that can work with my Alexa?

Explain...what does it do exactly and why do I need Alexa for it?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Xfiles wrote: Exactly, same as in a condo but it's completely wrong to say you can do what you want to your property with a detached house
It is far from the same as in a condo. Having lived in both I can say hands down there is FAR more freedom with a property that isn't condo.
Banned
Oct 14, 2015
264 posts
109 upvotes
Markham, ON
Chickinvic wrote: It is far from the same as in a condo. Having lived in both I can say hands down there is FAR more freedom with a property that isn't condo.
Freedom to be a nuisance sure and a pain to neighbors

I called bylaw twice to a neighbor because he didn't cut his lawn and left out garbage on wrong day and the animals got to it

There's a house down the street by mailbox that has so much litter from mailbox but he doesn't pick it up so it's unsightly.

When I lived in a condo, the whole complex looked nice and well kept and idiots could only mess up inside of their unit where I can't see it mostly . Lawn was maintained, plantings and no discolored driveways and no weeds in interlock
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Xfiles wrote: Freedom to be a nuisance sure and a pain to neighbors

I called bylaw twice to a neighbor because he didn't cut his lawn and left out garbage on wrong day and the animals got to it

There's a house down the street by mailbox that has so much litter from mailbox but he doesn't pick it up so it's unsightly.

When I lived in a condo, the whole complex looked nice and well kept and idiots could only mess up inside of their unit where I can't see it mostly . Lawn was maintained, plantings and no discolored driveways and no weeds in interlock
Move to a better neighborhood?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
iEyeCaptain wrote: OP should be allowed to install advanced home security measures. nunavut is notorious for being crime-ridden.

source: http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/cp-p ... jn/p4.html

holy moly check out that sexual assault statistic. hope u has a chastity belt, OP..
thx 4 your concern kind sir
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
Rocko24 wrote: wait...there is a lock that can work with my Alexa?

You say "Alexa, lock the door", and it turns the deadbolt and locks it.. lol.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Rocko24 wrote: wait...there is a lock that can work with my Alexa?

there's a bunch of smart locks that work with alexa but you need a smartthings hub.

step 1 - install zigbee or zwave compatible lock
step 2 - pair that shit to your smartthings hub
step 3 - link your smartthings account to your alexa app
step 4 - setup whatever rules you want on your smartthings account (i.e. lock door at 12pm. Unlock door at 7am)
step 5 - say 'alexa lock door' whenever your heart desires
step 6 - post a thread in the home & garden section about your home automation victory
Last edited by nasa25 on Nov 20th, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
IndyBeak wrote: You say "Alexa, lock the door", and it turns the deadbolt and locks it.. lol.
lol such technological advances eh
Banned
Oct 14, 2015
264 posts
109 upvotes
Markham, ON
vkizzle wrote: Move to a better neighborhood?
Any non condo will have such issues as it just takes a one or two people to ruin the neighborhood

I wish HOA were bigger things here. Loved them when I lived in LA
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
nasa25 wrote: lol such technological advances eh
Lol. totally. Though it has advantages. I am no more worried about forgetting or misplacing home keys. Wife is also impressed that she types some fancy numbers and the door gets unlocked. Now next she wants SmartThings to detect when she arrives home (using her phone as a sensor) and not only unlock it automatically, but possibly take it one step further and swing open the door as well.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
IndyBeak wrote: Lol. totally. Though it has advantages. I am no more worried about forgetting or misplacing home keys. Wife is also impressed that she types some fancy numbers and the door gets unlocked. Now next she wants SmartThings to detect when she arrives home (using her phone as a sensor) and not only unlock it automatically, but possibly take it one step further and swing open the door as well.
yup my gf was liking the lock for the day or so I had it installed. She was sad to see it go

I'm going to install it on the door leading out to my balcony. That way the condo big wigs and whomever else can have access to my front door via the master key for whatever reasons. That $200 august smart lock looks pretty awful for what it does but I'll probably still go ahead and get it since it links with alexa. As for the Yale lock, once it's installed on my balcony door I'll just enter through that door whenever I don't feel like turning a key like some sort of old school amish person (while the august lock is still in pre-procurement status)

Congrats that your wife has caught the home automation bug. That's most mans dream right there.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
iEyeCaptain wrote: But his profile says Nunavut. I thought you had to list your location to get access to the latest local hot deals.
You're joking, right? Otherwise, I'm actually from Timbuktu and using google translate to communicate w/ you guys. :D
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote: yup my gf was liking the lock for the day or so I had it installed. She was sad to see it go

I'm going to install it on the door leading out to my balcony. That way the condo big wigs and whomever else can have access to my front door via the master key for whatever reasons. That $200 august smart lock looks pretty awful for what it does but I'll probably still go ahead and get it since it links with alexa. As for the Yale lock, once it's installed on my balcony door I'll just enter through that door whenever I don't feel like turning a key like some sort of old school amish person (while the august lock is still in pre-procurement status)

Congrats that your wife has caught the home automation bug. That's most mans dream right there.
So, can and do you say Alexa, make me a sammach and don't forget steak and bjs next Tuesday evening. Or replace alexa with GF? I'd be like boss and say, "<insert SO name here> get your lazy flabby bum off the couch and lock that door before I make you go to gym. And while you're up, make me a sandwich."

My wife doesn't want anything smart in the home, including me. I attempted to get connected thermostat and she said no, bring it back. She loves the robot chinese vacuum, hates it talking tho...

EDIT: Added robot to chinese vacuum cause it could mean slavery.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
koffey wrote: So, can and do you say Alexa, make me a sammach and don't forget steak and bjs next Tuesday evening. Or replace alexa with GF? I'd be like boss and say, "<insert SO name here> get your lazy flabby bum off the couch and lock that door before I make you go to gym. And while you're up, make me a sandwich."

My wife doesn't want anything smart in the home, including me. I attempted to get connected thermostat and she said no, bring it back. She loves the robot chinese vacuum, hates it talking tho...

I'm the opposite; I'm not smart enough for her (Accountant); so I compensate with smart devices throughout the home!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
koffey wrote: So, can and do you say Alexa, make me a sammach and don't forget steak and bjs next Tuesday evening. Or replace alexa with GF? I'd be like boss and say, "<insert SO name here> get your lazy flabby bum off the couch and lock that door before I make you go to gym. And while you're up, make me a sandwich."

lol I feel your pain re: non acceptance of home automation gears. My gf hates it too pretty much. Calls me a loser for wanting it. I say she's the loser. She's been nagging me to get a new head board and ottoman and I'm like 'yeah ok we can get around to that probably never'. Could not care less about that shit. Gadgets are where it's at imo.

Also, I wish alexa could add other services to her repertoire (like sandwich making and other service based activities). Maybe on a future firmware update.

Robot wise, the ultimate robot is this

https://www.cnet.com/news/robocco-beerb ... -just-799/

I was scouring the earth for one of these 5 years ago but always managed to come up short. I'd pay at least a hundred thousand yen and promise to get rid of my smart home setup for good if I could ever get my hands on one of these
Last edited by nasa25 on Nov 20th, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
vkizzle wrote: I'm the opposite; I'm not smart enough for her (Accountant); so I compensate with smart devices throughout the home!
lol I feel your pain. I too is accounting man.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
nasa25 wrote: lol I feel your pain. I too is accounting man.
But she can't do taxes for shit...LMAO!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
^lol

oh and i forgot to thank koffey for evening me up score wise on the OP!