Automotive

Installing a Dash Cam Hardwire Kit into fuse - what's the worst that can happen?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2019 10:08 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
642 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto

Installing a Dash Cam Hardwire Kit into fuse - what's the worst that can happen?

I bought a car about a year ago and want to get a dash cam. I don't want to run the cable down to the center console where the ports are, so I'm thinking about hardwiring it into the fuse. This is something I've never done before, but I've watched a few videos on Youtube and it seems pretty easy.

I'm just wondering, what's the worst that can happen if I do something stupid like install the fuse backwards? I obviously won't use the fuse for the airbags or anything security-related, but if I do this incorrectly, can I cause permanent damage to the car?

This is the kit I'm thinking of buying: https://www.amazon.ca/MicroUSB-MiniUSB- ... way&sr=8-3
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2250 posts
567 upvotes
Nothing. That’s the best way to install it.

Also, you can’t install a fuse backwards, so no worries.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1358 posts
793 upvotes
You should be ok. Be sure to disconnect the main battery when doing the work. The worst that could happen is you'll blow a fuse in your car.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3801 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
Worst that can happen is you tapped into ecu fuse that controls transmission, anti theft or many other system component and blow it's fuse and rendering your car immobile.

Read the fuse panel carefully and use non essential like dome lights or cig lighter.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1307 posts
903 upvotes
Dashcams draw less than 1 amp, so you won't damage anything as long as your wiring is secure. I have a 1 amp fuse that powers up 2 dashcams with no problems.

If your adding an accessory that draws more than about 5 amps, then yes, its possible to damage something, but it depends on how the fuse box is wired internally and how the fuse tap is installed as they can be installed the wrong way.
Nov 17, 2006
62 posts
51 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:41 pm
Also, you can’t install a fuse backwards, so no worries.
You actually can install a fuse tap backwards. If you install it in the incorrect orientation power for both devices will flow through the original fuse and make it more likely to blow (though not that likely since dash cams don't draw much). It's easy to verify this if you try drawing out the circuit diagram.

Its easy to verify that the orientation is correct- ensure that your device won't power on without the additional fuse.
May 28, 2007
753 posts
196 upvotes
Or you can install it like I did. I ran the line under the headboard, under the passenger A-pillar, under the glove box, under the center console side panel till I reached the passenger seat, then up the side of that panel, and then into the center console where I plugged it into the cigarette lighter plug. Now it turns on and off automatically when I turn the car on and off. No worries about tapping into the fuse box. My original power cord wasn't long enough, so I bought a 15 feet USB to micro-USB cable and a USB power adapter from PrimeCables.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2010
642 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:43 pm
Worst that can happen is you tapped into ecu fuse that controls transmission, anti theft or many other system component and blow it's fuse and rendering your car immobile.

Read the fuse panel carefully and use non essential like dome lights or cig lighter.
If I do render the car immobile, I could probably just call CAA and have them either fix it or take it to a shop where it can be fixed, right?
Nov 23, 2011
231 posts
120 upvotes
steeped wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 8:18 am
If I do render the car immobile, I could probably just call CAA and have them either fix it or take it to a shop where it can be fixed, right?
Just replace the fuse and you'd be good to go, or be proactive and don't tap into one of those fuses.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3801 posts
1517 upvotes
Toronto
steeped wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 8:18 am
Ok so I did this stupid mistake and blew a fuse for the transmission. You can call CAA but it took me awhile scratching my head what went wrong. CAA can tow to the dealership and they can charge you pretty money for troubleshooting.

Just saying it's a possible mistake that can happen and backtrack if something goes wrong. Best would be use dome or cig fuse. Yes I forget to read that day.