Home & Garden

Installing Laminate over old parquet with wood subfloor, thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2018 7:47 pm
Mar 15, 2007
256 posts
50 upvotes

Installing Laminate over old parquet with wood subfloor, thoughts?

We recently bought a house in the east (pickering).
It's an old house maybe 30 yrs old and it has parquet installed in the living room.
It's a small house so living room is not big, only about 300 sq ft, kitchen and dining has tiles so that's okay for us.
Anyhow back to living room. So I was told that it's okay as long as the parquet has no squeaks and firm and since the subfloor is wood and NOT concrete then moist shouldn't be much of a problem.
Thoughts on this guys?
3 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11312 posts
5494 upvotes
Vaughan
Should be ok. I had my main floor done last year. Just make sure to use under layer. Mind you, depends on how level your current floor, you will experience some squeaking noise. You will loose some height if putting laminate on top of parquet
Mar 15, 2007
256 posts
50 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: If there is a crawlspace or another floor beneath the living room then there's nowhere for moisture to come from anyway.

If this is the lowest level you could potentially have a moisture problem but fixing it probably won't involve tearing up the parquet floor anyway.
teoconca wrote: Should be ok. I had my main floor done last year. Just make sure to use under layer. Mind you, depends on how level your current floor, you will experience some squeaking noise. You will loose some height if putting laminate on top of parquet
Hi guys, yes below that is the basement so I guess it's a go. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Also, for the floor level I will have see that one and make sure everything is intact. We don't plan to put thick laminate so height should be okay.

Me and the fiancee have been living in apartment for a while and we see the same parquet floor everyday.. lol
We will not get possession of the house till end of next month so I am just planning some stuff in advance, also kinda excited to work on this little project and some wall painting in the living room.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton
rxester wrote: We recently bought a house in the east (pickering).
It's an old house maybe 30 yrs old and it has parquet installed in the living room.
It's a small house so living room is not big, only about 300 sq ft, kitchen and dining has tiles so that's okay for us.
Anyhow back to living room. So I was told that it's okay as long as the parquet has no squeaks and firm and since the subfloor is wood and NOT concrete then moist shouldn't be much of a problem.
Thoughts on this guys?
You can install laminate over any hard surface. The only concern is the height difference to tiles. You will need matching reducers or transition pieces between laminate and tiles.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)