• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2018 9:44 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1047 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga

Installing railing on hardwood stairs

I need a good contractor to do the job well, for a reasonable cost. Please recommend one.
Part of railing is not straight, so it has to be custom made to fit my stairs.
Personal experience only, please.
10 replies
Mar 28, 2002
662 posts
57 upvotes
just had pickets and posts replaced, went with iron. These guys had best price, excellent customer service.
at the time of booking, theyre about 1-2mths back logged.

AL - Elegance hardwood Flooring
5030 maingate dr. unit 20
Mississauga

www.alelegance.com
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen some houses installed with glass railings , looks very nice and modern. Does anyone know a good company/contractor for that ? I wonder if it would be a lot more expensive than typical wood/metal pickets railing.

Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1047 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
Ben Doone wrote: just had pickets and posts replaced, went with iron. These guys had best price, excellent customer service.
at the time of booking, theyre about 1-2mths back logged.

AL - Elegance hardwood Flooring
5030 maingate dr. unit 20
Mississauga

www.alelegance.com
Thank you Ben Doone.
Did you also replace posts with iron ones? Usually just pickets are iron.
Would you share some pictures?
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1047 posts
69 upvotes
Mississauga
rdx wrote: I've seen some houses installed with glass railings , looks very nice and modern. Does anyone know a good company/contractor for that ? I wonder if it would be a lot more expensive than typical wood/metal pickets railing.

I think this would work if the whole house is finished in modern style, otherwise looks out of place.
Would work on modern condo the best.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1480 upvotes
Toronto
Dealll wrote: I think this would work if the whole house is finished in modern style, otherwise looks out of place.
Would work on modern condo the best.
Agree. It will only match if the entire house is having the contemporary design. The first time I saw this glass railing was in that Princess Margaret multi millions mansion grand prize which comes with all contemporary design :D It matches really well with those dark brown contemporary wood color :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
rdx wrote: I've seen some houses installed with glass railings , looks very nice and modern. Does anyone know a good company/contractor for that ? I wonder if it would be a lot more expensive than typical wood/metal pickets railing.

I don't like that. It looks like it belongs in a commercial space.
Dec 5, 2007
11 posts
If you are looking for those glass railings or even iron railings try http://www.gtaglassrailings.com/. I've used them for our house in Toronto during a renovation. The glass railings looks good with the contemporary type of house (think condo, or like loft style etc), but if you're looking for the more traditional iron they can help too.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1161 posts
518 upvotes
HRM
I checked out this place in Markham.

http://stairs-iron.com

Their prices were good and if you want glass they do that as well along with door inserts.

They have a ton of styles, both hollow and solid so appeal to all budgets.
Apr 19, 2018
397 posts
124 upvotes
Scarborough
westcoastyvr wrote: I checked out this place in Markham.

http://stairs-iron.com

Their prices were good and if you want glass they do that as well along with door inserts.

They have a ton of styles, both hollow and solid so appeal to all budgets.
Did these guys refinish your stairs as well?
Don't worry be happy - Bob

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)