• Jul 8th, 2015 10:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 18, 2009
437 posts
6 upvotes

Installing a window well

Any idea how much it should cost to install a standard window well? We already have a drainage pipe installed going all the way down, we just need the actual metal guard part installed (and of course, inside of the well area dug down + gravel laid). I found some instructions - seems like a potential DIY job if you have the right tools. Debating if we should take it on ourselves, which would entail finding the right tools! Any tips from DIYers? We're thinking of running our patio around it (that's being done this week) so we need to act fast. Our landscaper guy doesn't do window wells. Thanks for your input.
4 replies
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4052 posts
143 upvotes
creamsoda wrote:
Sep 8th, 2009 12:20 pm
Any idea how much it should cost to install a standard window well? We already have a drainage pipe installed going all the way down, we just need the actual metal guard part installed (and of course, inside of the well area dug down + gravel laid). I found some instructions - seems like a potential DIY job if you have the right tools. Debating if we should take it on ourselves, which would entail finding the right tools! Any tips from DIYers? We're thinking of running our patio around it (that's being done this week) so we need to act fast. Our landscaper guy doesn't do window wells. Thanks for your input.
Not sure if this helps but we recently had some water leaking into the basement so we contacted a basement waterproffing guy. He came out and diagnosed that the problem was a crack in the foundation. He said he'd have to also repair the window well. The dug down to the footings, sealed the crack, dried the area, put styrofoam up, put in a new window well (smaller than the original which was very old) around the existing window and then filled everything back in. Cost us $525 and took him about 5-6 hours.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
I installed a window well myself ~4-5 years ago. I took under an hour (including digging) and the cost was the anchors/bolts. The job requires a hammer drill, though...
[OP]
Jun 18, 2009
437 posts
6 upvotes
creamsoda wrote:
Sep 8th, 2009 12:20 pm
Follow-up, FYI for anyone reading this post in the future. We got someone (a waterproofer guy) to do our well for us. It ended up being 2 wells, double height, and cost us $200. I didn't shop around at all, because I needed the job done asap. So not sure if this is in the usual range or not. Hopefully I didn't over pay! Although, that's a lot of money for such a quick job. At least I can be sure the job was done right.
Jul 14, 2012
216 posts
55 upvotes
Hamilton
3 posts from "LoveRedFlagDeais" and every one mentions draincity.com

Not to mention, your quote is 3 times as much as the others from the thread (although the thread is 5 years old, so who knows)

Take your self advertising elsewhere.
× < >