None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3068 posts
337 upvotes
Hamilton

InstantPot Users - accessories?

My wife is getting an instant pot for Christmas, she has been talking about wanting one for awhile.

Just wondering for anyone that uses theirs a lot, is there any "must have" accessories that you use a lot?

I've seen there official accessories like glass lid, silicone lid, stainless insert, costed insert steaming kit etc

Do you have and use any accessories?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5706 posts
1300 upvotes
Markham
If you're a baker/like cheesecake, get a springform cake pan.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2332 posts
328 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
My wife likes having multiple gaskets for hers as they have a tendency to soak in the smells of what you're cooking. I forget exactly how she has them divided up but I think one is for baking, one is for stronger flavours like tomato or items with a lot of spices, and I think a third one.

She also has a spring form for the reasons above. I am debating getting her a second pot insert for hers as she does use the device a lot and she has said it would be handy to cook a couple different items back to back quickly without having to clean out the first pot.
Jan 12, 2008
272 posts
141 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 12:14 pm
My wife likes having multiple gaskets for hers as they have a tendency to soak in the smells of what you're cooking. I forget exactly how she has them divided up but I think one is for baking, one is for stronger flavours like tomato or items with a lot of spices, and I think a third one.
I am waiting for my first instant pot to be delivered so I am new to this but I was wondering, does the strong smell from the gasket permeate into the food you cook? For example, if my gasket was very strong smelling from some previous use with spices, would my cheesecake taste like those spices if I used same gasket?
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2332 posts
328 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
jh46 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 12:37 pm
I am waiting for my first instant pot to be delivered so I am new to this but I was wondering, does the strong smell from the gasket permeate into the food you cook? For example, if my gasket was very strong smelling from some previous use with spices, would my cheesecake taste like those spices if I used same gasket?
I'll be honest I'm not certain as I don't do the cooking. My wife is an avid cook and in that industry so she notices little subtleties more than I do. She definitely insists it will and has told me a lot of people online say the same thing
Nov 2, 2018
29 posts
11 upvotes
jh46 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 12:37 pm
I have not noticed any of that. I run my gasket in the dishwasher on hot, and it gets the smell out pretty good. Then again I never cook any desserts in my instapot so.....

Having said that, you are going to love it. No fuss chicken soup in 25 minutes, amazing braised meats, chili. I made moroccan style lamb shanks with chickpeas for dinner last night, took me 35 mins. Tasted like it took all day
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3068 posts
337 upvotes
Hamilton
Thanks for the response guys. I’ll get gaskets for sure
Mar 17, 2006
443 posts
137 upvotes
Not really an accessory but make sure to get some liquid smoke for when you make ribs. In fact, if you exclusively use the Instant Pot just for ribs, it's still worth the price.
They really need to reconsider the material they use for that gasket.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1052 posts
1786 upvotes
Do we have a dedicated InstantPot recipe thread on here somewhere?
Nov 2, 2018
29 posts
11 upvotes
ur_too_crazy wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 10:08 pm
Not really an accessory but make sure to get some liquid smoke for when you make ribs. In fact, if you exclusively use the Instant Pot just for ribs, it's still worth the price.
They really need to reconsider the material they use for that gasket.
Do you brown them up under the broiler after or no?
Mar 17, 2006
443 posts
137 upvotes
Yes in the oven is ok. Better yet on the BBQ if it's accessible. I usually put on a dry rub. Stick them in the Instant pot on the trivet with about a cup of liquid underneath (beer or apple juice with some liquid smoke mixed in). Then I put them on the grill basting them with a barbecue sauce. Best ribs you'll have outside of a smoker.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)