Automotive

Insurance "betterment" charges... anyone have advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 7:56 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1175 posts
450 upvotes
Dartmouth
hightech wrote: Have you taken your vehicle in for service recently and had a maintenance service performed where they examined various parts (i.e. control arms, suspension, etc.)? If the maintenance report showed everything to be in good condition, then the betterment charge would not be warranted. If the part was in a poor condition, the dealership would have advised you of the concern and then you would either replace it or keep it as is.

Keep in mind is that a Betterment is generally more than just a replacement. It is something that enhances the value of the total asset to be more then just a part replacement. If you have a 10 year old car, with a new control arm, the rest of the car is still 10 years old. No buyer in their right mind would go "hmmm, car is 10 years old but this part is new, so I pay $x more". I don't think this would stand a challenge in court and I would bet $$ on it that before it even gets to court, they would waive the costs.

I would go public with this info. The more bad publicity they get about it, the more likely they would be to cave on the item. Having worked in this industry, the Insurance people are actually measured on how much revenue they bring in and bonuses are awarded accordingly. Essentially, they are no different then the service advisers at a dealership.
You are misinformed. Read my post above. Betterment do not speak to the “value of the vehicle”. Wear parts need to be replaced and their is a cost to replace them. If your cost to replace those wear parts is reduced or eliminated due to replacement with a new part you have benefited financially .

The right to charge betterment is outlined in the policy which you sign and accept when you buy it.

You are also misspeaking regarding “insurance people” being compensated based on revenue brought in as having any impact on betterment decisions.

Adjusters work to the policy. Appraisers write estimates based on the appraisal guidelines. Here are 0 bonuses for settling a claim for less than the policy entities you to. That would go against the insurance act in basically every province.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Toolatecrew wrote: You are misinformed. Read my post above. Betterment do not speak to the “value of the vehicle”. Wear parts need to be replaced and their is a cost to replace them. If your cost to replace those wear parts is reduced or eliminated due to replacement with a new part you have benefited financially .

The right to charge betterment is outlined in the policy which you sign and accept when you buy it.

You are also misspeaking regarding “insurance people” being compensated based on revenue brought in as having any impact on betterment decisions.

Adjusters work to the policy. Appraisers write estimates based on the appraisal guidelines. Here are 0 bonuses for settling a claim for less than the policy entities you to. That would go against the insurance act in basically every province.
Keep drinking the koolaid.
The control arm itself doesn't need replacing, other than the ball joint or boots.
I have a 19 and 20 year old summer vehicles and the control arms are in top notch condition.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
CoolDudeClan wrote: This is still not resolved. It's a long story, but as noted earlier there was no notice/approval of the work being done that involved betterment charges. Repair shop is straight up lying and saying I was notified and gave verbal approval. Absolute mess. Total crooks.
Who is the shop op? Was it insurance preferred?
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1268 posts
655 upvotes
York Region
koffey wrote: Who is the shop op? Was it insurance preferred?
From the first sentence, it is.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
bacalhau4me wrote: From the first sentence, it is.
I completely forgot the entire OP and got caught up in the legalise. lol
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
Guys good news!! If you pay an extra $35 a month to your insurance company and there's an accident (not your fault), they will waive "betterment" charges.

I just added this great deal to all my 3 cars.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
MusicBox wrote: Guys good news!! If you pay an extra $35 a month to your insurance company and there's an accident (not your fault), they will waive "betterment" charges.

i am going to do it myself, can't wait to give insurance company more money, i am actually running to my phone to do this.
Thank you so much
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
kopokipi wrote: i am going to do it myself, can't wait to give insurance company more money, i am actually running to my phone to do this.
Thank you so much
+1, I'm in for 4...
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18019 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
MusicBox wrote: Guys good news!! If you pay an extra $35 a month to your insurance company and there's an accident (not your fault), they will waive "betterment" charges.

So basically, pay the betterment or pay $420 a year to waive this charge.

420 sounds like the product they must be smoking :)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3930 posts
690 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like OP is getting scammed by the body shop. From my experience with the body shop, they will usually provide insurer with a pricelist of items to be repaired, labour hours, etc. When I had my repairs done, I had a walkthrough with the body shop on the exact parts he's been approved of and going to order. Adjusters will review to see if the repair bill makes sense before approving the work. e.g. Having a Right door replaced when car got hit on the left might be questionable. Or if the repair shop is quoting $500 for a front quarter panel when the adjusters' experience/system shows a new OEM part is $300, or an aftermarket part is $250. These will raise questions and insurers not approving the repair job.

OP's body shop probably bought all the parts, inflated them a bit too much, adjuster didn't approve the full amount. And now body shop wants to make the difference off the OP.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
hightech wrote: So basically, pay the betterment or pay $420 a year to waive this charge.

420 sounds like the product they must be smoking :)
I think he was being sarcastic...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: I think he was being sarcastic...
So was he, but I like this "insurance smokin' some 420's" a lot better-MENT.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
kopokipi wrote: i am going to do it myself, can't wait to give insurance company more money, i am actually running to my phone to do this.
Thank you so much
Of course I was just pulling your chain, being sarcastic. But the insurance companies might try this, they just haven't thought about it.... yet.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
MusicBox wrote: Of course I was just pulling your chain, being sarcastic. But the insurance companies might try this, they just haven't thought about it.... yet.
No kidding