• Jul 29th, 2016 10:15 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 24, 2009
100 posts
7 upvotes

Insurance Brokers or Companies for Auto & Motorcycle

Hi there,

I am currently with Certas (Statefarm) and they jacked up my rates specifically for the Bike (supersport bike). I'm looking to shop around for a new policy for car and bike. Can someone recommend a contact to a broker or an insurance company that's best for both?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to using an insurance broker?

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Coseco has been giving me some impressive premiums the past few years.
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
In terms of the bike, your in tough waters insuring a SS in Ontario at the moment..

Take a look on gtamotorcycle forum at the insurance board.. plenty of guys in your shoes moved away from statefarm/td within the last year after experiencing 50-100% rate increases.

Try RBC, TD ( yes they raised prices dramatically but still offer one of the cheaper rates for 600cc+ bikes).. Then call brokers starting with cornerstone, ridersplus, john duffy.

Best of luck.
Aug 24, 2009
100 posts
7 upvotes
sundin4prez wrote: In terms of the bike, your in tough waters insuring a SS in Ontario at the moment..

Take a look on gtamotorcycle forum at the insurance board.. plenty of guys in your shoes moved away from statefarm/td within the last year after experiencing 50-100% rate increases.

Try RBC, TD ( yes they raised prices dramatically but still offer one of the cheaper rates for 600cc+ bikes).. Then call brokers starting with cornerstone, ridersplus, john duffy.

Best of luck.
I called Cornerstone and they gave me an awesome price for my bike! Thanks for the suggestion!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3236 posts
1612 upvotes
Cornerstone, eh? I'll give them a shot next year because my TD is bound to go up again...

Did you have to package your car and bike together? Or did they take just your bike?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2048 posts
1661 upvotes
NightShark wrote: Hi there,

I am currently with Certas (Statefarm) and they jacked up my rates specifically for the Bike (supersport bike). I'm looking to shop around for a new policy for car and bike. Can someone recommend a contact to a broker or an insurance company that's best for both?

Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to using an insurance broker?

Thanks!
Try Allstate. I was with Statefarm before they became certa. The only requirement is that you should be over 30(don't quote me on that. They might have changed that policy). I saved $1600/year. Bringing 2 cars+super sports bike.
Aug 24, 2009
100 posts
7 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: Cornerstone, eh? I'll give them a shot next year because my TD is bound to go up again...

Did you have to package your car and bike together? Or did they take just your bike?
Just your bike
Aug 24, 2009
100 posts
7 upvotes
nousername wrote: Try Allstate. I was with Statefarm before they became certa. The only requirement is that you should be over 30(don't quote me on that. They might have changed that policy). I saved $1600/year. Bringing 2 cars+super sports bike.
THIS RIGHT HERE. Before I actually saw your post, I tried an agent I worked with while he was at Statefarm before he moved to Allstate and man, this place is hands down the best place for bikes BUT, you have to fit their requirements which is something like;

- being over 30 years old
- having your M and motorcycle license for more than 3 years
- having being insured by a company for the past 3 years straight
- bringing over a full coverage auto
- getting home insurance

If you hit all these things, you will get an awesome rate
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1137 posts
450 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
NightShark wrote: THIS RIGHT HERE. Before I actually saw your post, I tried an agent I worked with while he was at Statefarm before he moved to Allstate and man, this place is hands down the best place for bikes BUT, you have to fit their requirements which is something like;

- being over 30 years old
- having your M and motorcycle license for more than 3 years
- having being insured by a company for the past 3 years straight
- bringing over a full coverage auto
- getting home insurance

If you hit all these things, you will get an awesome rate
They are grossly undercutting the market, it won't last much longer (premium intake versus claims payout) but as a consumer, why not take advantage of it while you can?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2048 posts
1661 upvotes
RobertSmalls008 wrote: They are grossly undercutting the market, it won't last much longer (premium intake versus claims payout) but as a consumer, why not take advantage of it while you can?
well my brother-in-law is with them for the past 12 years.i don't know where you are getting the assumption that it won't last longer.anyways. as you said if you can save money then why not.but i don't think that it will be short lived(fingers crossed).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)