Home & Garden

Insurance Contractor Not Doing Work To Code - Now What?

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 11:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3389 posts
261 upvotes
St. John's

Insurance Contractor Not Doing Work To Code - Now What?

I had some damage to my house recently. Insurance has hired a general contractor to rebuild. All has been fine until they started insulating.

Now, I haven't been on a construction site in my life, but I've watched enough Holmes on Homes to know that some of this stuff was done either carelessly or by a complete noob.

One photo here shows a wall, with a VB installed, and large gaps in the insulation. Another photo shows no VB box around the receptacle.

What should I do now?

Update with albums

Victoria Day Weekend - https://goo.gl/photos/CDhBPKtK7pm4ZRyTA

May 23rd (post inspection) - https://goo.gl/photos/5P8t2ArCbPa3Gahr6
Last edited by RCGA on May 17th, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's hug it out
Flickr
42 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4261 posts
314 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Get it inspected?
Is there a permit?
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1793 posts
418 upvotes
Paris
Who uses pink these days???
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4239 posts
705 upvotes
Kitchener
Sloppy work on the insulation and that looks like a plastic box which doesn't require vapour barrier
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26323 posts
3145 upvotes
Ottawa
Poor workmanship is not against code.
Don't think a vapour barrier box is a code requirement. The plastic and tuck tape acts as a vapour barrier and you pulling the tape off the box as you are in your photo compromises the barrier.
Oh and what you see on TV is not the real world, it is TV world where everything is perfect...especially if it is on Holmes show
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7013 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
Run a 6ft level along the studs and see if they crowned the lumber and the drywall will sit flat....
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
1981 posts
943 upvotes
Markham
Lol Holmes on Homes... He probably mentored the guy who did OP's insulation.

If I could get a dime everytime he did/said something stupid, I'd have hit a crisp $50 by now...
Oct 2, 2013
597 posts
265 upvotes
Montreal
The insulation job here... Meh, could be wrost I guess but not by much.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8635 posts
2811 upvotes
Ottawa
The only thing in these pics breaking code is the finger that pulled the tuck tape to break the envelope.

Shitty work by hacks is shitty work by hacks and it has nothing to do with code. There is code and there are industry best practices don't confuse the two. This is up to code...and probably the cheapest contractor your adjuster/insurance could find.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3389 posts
261 upvotes
St. John's
Large gaps in the insulation isn't against code?

Don't exterior outlets require a VB?
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
26323 posts
3145 upvotes
Ottawa
RCGA wrote:
May 20th, 2017 2:40 pm
Large gaps in the insulation isn't against code?

Don't exterior outlets require a VB?
Nope and Nope.
Like I sad, poor workmanship is not against code.
Poor insulation job just costs you money and there is a vapour barrier, you just undid the integrity by pulling the tape off.
"We investigate in secret so that we don't smear innocent people." James Comey
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
1793 posts
418 upvotes
Paris
Poor workmanship should be reported to the insurance company. It's (sadly) not against code unless you have an awesome inspector. Those walls with those gaps are not insulated to the correct code.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8635 posts
2811 upvotes
Ottawa
Jerico wrote:
May 21st, 2017 8:41 pm
Poor workmanship should be reported to the insurance company. It's (sadly) not against code unless you have an awesome inspector. Those walls with those gaps are not insulated to the correct code.
This. You'll have a better chance of getting this fixed by pointing out the insurance is to bring your house to it's pre-dammage state and the house was not a fly-by-night hack job quality prior to the dammage.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3389 posts
261 upvotes
St. John's
Pete_Coach wrote:
May 21st, 2017 7:51 am
Nope and Nope.
Like I sad, poor workmanship is not against code.
Poor insulation job just costs you money and there is a vapour barrier, you just undid the integrity by pulling the tape off.
So what happens when the drywall goes up and pushes that tape off?
Let's hug it out
Flickr
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel