• Dec 22nd, 2018 10:04 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
457 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto

Insurance coverage of Towing

Hi all:

Just arming myself with knowledge as I get confusing info fm various sources -- let me know if my understanding is correct:

a) if one gets into an accident (whether at fault or not), and you have comprehensive collision insurance, the tow is covered by your insurer, correct?
b) you call your insurer claims and ask for a tow if possible -- and if not (since the cops tell you to get the quickest tow available), you're supposed to take it and claim in against insurance and provid receipt? correct?
and finally
c) towing for non-accidents are not included in one's insurance coverage? eg breakdown... get CAA if needed or use your new vehicle 4 yr roadside assistance...

Many thanks

PS I get confused since my broker just tried to sell me $70 for towing (eg in my last renewal) so I want to make sure this time around -- and I just also checked my collision coverage and i have all perils coverage, family protection, driving record protector, disappearing deductible, loss of use coverage, damage deductible shown above is zero, etc)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2539 posts
1129 upvotes
Edmonton
eilrach wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 4:42 pm

a) if one gets into an accident (whether at fault or not), and you have comprehensive collision insurance, the tow is covered by your insurer, correct?

Collision and comprehensive aew separate forms of coverage. If you have "all perils", it is essentially both comprehensive and collision wrapped in one. Your tow is covered if you have the corresponding coverage, i.e. collision coverage for a collision accident.

Your broker was probably trying to sell you towing coverage equivalent to CAA coverage.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
457 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Starchoice. I guess the only question (which I hope I don't encounter, fingers crossed) is what does one do in such situation -- eg you call insurer but if tow isnt available from them, take the cop instructed tow and just ask insurance to reimburse? (for both at fault and non-at-fault situations, i presume)
Oct 24, 2016
577 posts
397 upvotes
ON
Okay, here’s what I did when someone in family had an accident. When I reached the accident site, the police were already at the scene. I called the insurance company and came to know that it being a Saturday, the company they had an arrangement for towing was closed (not sure but I thought they would be available 24x7). Anyways, we had the car towed to home by the tow truck that had appeared at the accident site. Paid cash and took a receipt. We let the car remain on the driveway and on Monday the insurance sent a tow truck to pick up the car and take it to one of their authorized repair centres that we had chosen. Later during the claim process, we submitted our tow truck receipt which was then reimbursed to us. My only aim was not to fall in the trap of the tow truck sharks. The guy was very persistent that I let him take the car to his choice of place as well as he was also weaving stories of how I would not be reimbursed by insurance if I had the car towed to home. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Holystone on Dec 22nd, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
457 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
thank you holystone. very helpful indeed. i was thinking of the procedure you followed and now, knowing this is possible in reality, will keep this in mind and tell my wife what to do as well should unfortunate things happen. in fact, personally, if the insurer would not want to pay for the tow to home (and only pay for tow from home to their auto shop) i wouldnt mind paying out of pocket for that (yes, not very rfd haha)... what does one expect to pay for these types of tow btw? 300? 500? 1000??? any range? (i know based on distance, but let's say average trip is 10-15kms fm accident site to home - using 16kms/trip insurance rule that i read somewhere)

a final question if you dont mind: how did you or your family manage to get home from the accident site? does one call uber or a cab already? i know stupid question, but ive read some go with the tow truck driver (possible if only the driver is involved, i guess) but what if there's several passengers in the vehicle and no relative to pick them up? (i guess the cops will advice at the worst lol) many thanks for such invaluable insight
Oct 24, 2016
577 posts
397 upvotes
ON
The accident happened very close to home, maybe 2 km or less. The tow truck guy charged $200. I wasn't in a situation where I could negotiate much and in any case this money would be reimbursed by insurance. I do recall something being mentioned about this being the minimum charge but don't remember up to what distance was included in the charge. I reached the site in my own car so there was a second car available. It was peak winter so we sat in his truck to discuss and there certainly was space for 3-4 people in it.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
457 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you very much again for sharing your thoughts/experience Holystone. Very informative and will keep your own experience in mind for hopefully future non-use :) Answered all my concerns/questions...
Oct 12, 2016
716 posts
196 upvotes
Thanks op n other poster as it’s important notes.