Automotive

Is insurance mandatory for son who got G2, but won't drive?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2015 2:31 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1906 posts
171 upvotes
Ottawa
You should not mention your son for insurance purposes as he does notnlive with you as he goes to school in another city. I have 2 people in my household with licenses but never called my insurance and told them I have 2 others with a license
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1189 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 2:03 am
You should not mention your son for insurance purposes as he does notnlive with you as he goes to school in another city. I have 2 people in my household with licenses but never called my insurance and told them I have 2 others with a license
I believe you're required to inform your insurance company of all licensed drivers who live in your household.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3047 posts
339 upvotes
Toronto
masoud100 wrote:
If your family members have licenses that have your home address, you are required to inform your insurance company.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2562 posts
1107 upvotes
Mississauga
masoud100 wrote:
Admit fraud on a public forum, friends...
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1307 posts
394 upvotes
Oakville
geokilla wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 12:19 am
Depending on your insurance company, they may have a 50% off insurance premiums for a driver who will get little to no time behind the wheel due to attending school elsewhere. That's what Desjardin told us when we told them that my sister got her G2. Now whether they actually applied that 50% discount or not, I don't know. I should check since it's time for our insurance renewals.
I'm with Monnex and they have a "Student Away from Home" discount, which is about 50% off.
Your kid's school probably has to be a minimum distance away though, something like 100km.

Sometimes I wonder if my kids shouldn't change their addresses while away to their school address. That way I wouldn't have to pay premiums for them and they'd be covered if they drive our vehicles. Not sure if this is valid though.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8321 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
anyone with a license who resides in the same household must be disclosed to the insurer... most companies have an "student away at uni" discount... did you ask about this?
typically, you are supposed to advise them when they get their G1
vdimitrov wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 6:05 pm
Is the insurance mandatory for my 18 years old son on my vehicle even if he will never drive my car, just because he now has just got a G2 drivers license?

My son is leaving at the end of this month for overseas and coming back in September for his first year in University of Waterloo.
We are in Toronto with State Farm. I called the agent to check if my son has to be on the insurance if he is never going to drive the car and she claims that this is mandatory. Why? It does not make any sense. Is she lying?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8321 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
his rate will be lower at 25 however, with no prior insurance history, its still going to be high
vdimitrov wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 7:44 pm
Thanks for the useful information. The agent did not mention the OPCF 28A form at all and she should have:
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/auto ... 03_05.aspx

I am going to request a quote first to see what the cost will be, but will probably request the form since my son is not going to live with us or drive the car. The only benefit to include him at this point would be to lower his cost in future, but he may not even need a car and after 25 his insurance rate will drop anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8321 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
that is correct
Jenuine wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 7:31 am
I believe you're required to inform your insurance company of all licensed drivers who live in your household.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15891 posts
5156 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 10:39 am
his rate will be lower at 25 however, with no prior insurance history, its still going to be high
what is typically the lower lifetime cost, include now even though he won`t drive or not include now (savings) but deal with higher rate later?
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
9419 posts
2357 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 10:38 am
anyone with a license who resides in the same household must be disclosed to the insurer... most companies have an "student away at uni" discount... did you ask about this?
typically, you are supposed to advise them when they get their G1
Ontario is so messed up when it comes to auto insurance. Not to mention *****ly expensive
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8321 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
Since I am in the business, I see this all the time.. in my opinion, I would add him right now, advise he is away at university, get that discount and start building his ins record... then he will be all set for when the time comes for him to get his own veh & insurance.. best to build up ins experience..
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 12:19 pm
what is typically the lower lifetime cost, include now even though he won`t drive or not include now (savings) but deal with higher rate later?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8321 posts
1103 upvotes
Ontario
for rates, yes, terrible, I agree
Messerschmitt wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 12:28 pm
Ontario is so messed up when it comes to auto insurance. Not to mention *****ly expensive
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15891 posts
5156 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 12:35 pm
Since I am in the business, I see this all the time.. in my opinion, I would add him right now, advise he is away at university, get that discount and start building his ins record... then he will be all set for when the time comes for him to get his own veh & insurance.. best to build up ins experience..
thats why i asked ;)
What are the type of percentages your looking at for the discount vs filling out the form and no coverage?
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Nov 2, 2014
996 posts
334 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 12:19 pm
There are some insurers (direct writer) that I know having prior insurance has no impact whatsoever on the cost of insurance.

Most insurance companies though rate for prior insurance.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2012
1105 posts
46 upvotes
Sudbury
vdimitrov wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 7:54 pm
Why waste the money (probably ~$1000/year) if he is not going to drive the car? It does not make sense to me and my son agrees. Also, if he comes home after few years I can include him in the policy. This policy change is not permanent as far as I understand it and can be changed in future.

What irritated me is that the agent did not mention the form. According to the government buletin the offering of the excluded driver endorsement is mandatory and not optional. Also, they have to provide the form without restrictions.

"As noted above, under s. 249 of the Insurance Act all insurers must provide the OPCF 28A and O.E.F. 78A if requested by the named insured, with no underwriting restrictions. Insurers need to review their underwriting rules to ensure that they comply with s. 249, include no underwriting restrictions for the OPCF 28A and O.E.F. 78A, and re-file as appropriate."

Yeah, not too surprised a vulture from the insurance company didn't want to find savings for you. ;)