• Aug 15th, 2017 3:06 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6582 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario

insurance: occasional driver of non-owned car

I have a kid with her G license, sometimes after school she goes to her grandmothers place and helps her out which sometimes includes driving her around in grandmas car. Lately she has gone one errands with grandma's car on her own.
I have OPCF27 which covers occasional use of a non-owned vehicle but I'm wondering if I should add her to my policy as an occasional driver of that car (can I do that?)
Grandma can't add anyone under 25 to her policy (weird).
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
It's my understanding OPCF27 is typically meant for rental vehicles, and further the coverage that it provides is limited. I would highly recommend talking to your mother's insurance company. If you are hesitant to do so, talk to yours. However I would not allow your child to continue driving the vehicle because it sounds like their grandmother's policy currently excludes them and they could fall victim to a very expensive mistake.

Again - I know it's for non owned vehicles but you should really talk to your insurance company (or hers) to get a good explanation of your exact situation, including how your child has to be insured on your policy for this coverage to apply.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
bascially the OPCF 27 is used for renting a vehicle for the owner of the policy. Your daughter isn't the owner of your policy.

if she is using grammas vehicle and doesn't live in the same household as her, then she would be covered under gramma vehicle. Never heard of the "can't add a driver under 25"... we as parents tell our kids this so they cant drive our cars...

She should be listed under your vehicle if she lives in the same household as you. When a driver gets their G1, you are to inform your company. Failure to disclose a lic'd driver in the household could be grounds for cancellation for non disclosure.
rilles wrote: I have a kid with her G license, sometimes after school she goes to her grandmothers place and helps her out which sometimes includes driving her around in grandmas car. Lately she has gone one errands with grandma's car on her own.
I have OPCF27 which covers occasional use of a non-owned vehicle but I'm wondering if I should add her to my policy as an occasional driver of that car (can I do that?)
Grandma can't add anyone under 25 to her policy (weird).
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2699 posts
442 upvotes
Toronto
COSMIC5 wrote: bascially the OPCF 27 is used for renting a vehicle for the owner of the policy. Your daughter isn't the owner of your policy.

if she is using grammas vehicle and doesn't live in the same household as her, then she would be covered under gramma vehicle. Never heard of the "can't add a driver under 25"... we as parents tell our kids this so they cant drive our cars...

She should be listed under your vehicle if she lives in the same household as you. When a driver gets their G1, you are to inform your company. Failure to disclose a lic'd driver in the household could be grounds for cancellation for non disclosure.
Can't he get her daughter added for OPCF 27? I still in the standard form from FSCO website, there's a section to add members

1. Purpose of This Change - This change is part of your policy. It extends coverage:
ƒ for loss or damage to a non-owned automobile including its equipment resulting from the care, custody or control of that nonowned
automobile by an insured person, and
ƒ when persons named below drive other automobiles.

It also says

2. Who Is Covered
2.1 If the Certificate of Automobile Insurance is in the name of an individual or individuals, an insured person in this change form means
you, your spouse or your same-sex partner and all drivers listed in the policy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6582 posts
1749 upvotes
rural ontario
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR - yes that is what I read too even if it was meant for rental cars.

The MIL has a seniors targeted policy that has a clause they don't insure anyone under 25. I have my own cars and the kid is insured for all of them as she lives here.
My concern is that if the kid is running around doing stuff for her grandmother in grandma's car I was wondering if I can get occasional driver coverage for my kid for that car under my policy and not rely on OPCF27
MIL lives at a different address.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73