• Sep 16th, 2019 9:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2558 posts
1239 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Insurance on Rental car: Your own vs Rental companys

So we are planning on a family trip soon time, and would be renting a car for atleast 2 weeks. Just wondering what's the best way to get coverage and be safe while on the road, and elsewhere. I don't usually get rental car insurance but this trip will be a very long one and definitely would want some sort of coverage. With the rental company it would cost close to $30~ per day and with my insurance it would be $35 for the entire year. Now I do occasionally take a rental car from here and there for travel purposes so it might be well worth it through my insurance company. But how do you guys do it?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24853 posts
9670 upvotes
Toronto
If you are going to drive to the States with your own car for an extensive period of time, you should discuss with your broker about getting the correct coverage too ( .... for the just in case)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2471 posts
1136 upvotes
Consider researching Bill 18, regarding priority of insurance, in Ontario. Basically, owner's insurance first, followed by rental agency's insurance (as excess coverage), if you're involved in an accident. So, it's kind of redundant. Might as well just use your own insurance.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5772 posts
5759 upvotes
Vancouver
Use your credit card's CDW coverage for damage to the rental vehicle. Get one if you don't already have one. Here's a list of free ones. For third party liability, your existing auto insurance might already cover you in rental vehicles. Or they'll offer optional extra coverage that will surely beat what the rental agent is offering. Never buy TPL or CDW directly from a rental agency.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1703 posts
281 upvotes
Like many posters above. Use a cc that has cdw ldw and you won't need to buy insurance from rental company. As with 3rd party, I use my local coverage; and in BC we have something called Road Star/Plus which covered rental.
Have rented in the US countless times and never needed to get extra insurance from the rental company. It's a rip off!
Also don't let them pressure you into it. The worst was once in LV where the budget agent was really pushy and threatening. Just insist on what you want.
Again, use a cc with cdw ldw and use your own cars 3rd party coverage.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10423 posts
2682 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote:
Sep 16th, 2019 2:15 pm
Use your credit card's CDW coverage for damage to the rental vehicle. Get one if you don't already have one. Here's a list of free ones. For third party liability, your existing auto insurance might already cover you in rental vehicles. Or they'll offer optional extra coverage that will surely beat what the rental agent is offering. Never buy TPL or CDW directly from a rental agency.
+1

Damaged the bumper on a rental few years ago, they replaced a new bumper, painted, adding the loss of use, came to about $1400.
My BMO Elite MC covered it. No deductible paid and no impact on my own insurance. Free card as long as you have a Premium Account and leave 6k inside.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015