None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3364 posts
199 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

Insurance when towing.

I was wondering do you have to tell your insurance company that you are using the car/suv for towing a trailer?.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9994 posts
6322 upvotes
Edmonton
elkhaze wrote:
May 30th, 2016 9:25 am
Yes
Really? I've never been asked that when getting insurance, nor seen in on the on-line questions for Kanetix or others... What is your answer based on?

C
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1682 posts
384 upvotes
Are you towing it on a daily or semi-regular basis or just towing it once to a set location and then never again? Are you the owner of this trailer? I believe you do if you need coverage for the trailer, and liability-wise they are counted as one vehicle while being driven. I don't see why you wouldn't tell them, it's a legitimate use of your SUV.

Kanetix has their questions geared towards the regular every day driver with personal use and is meant as a quick quote - by no means does it cover all the things you should tell the insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8078 posts
1764 upvotes
no, unless you want coverage for the trailer (which wont be expensive). Assuming it isnt commerical use
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1569 posts
428 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
zoro69 wrote:
May 30th, 2016 12:09 pm
no, unless you want coverage for the trailer (which wont be expensive). Assuming it isnt commerical use
That's what I assume to be true. Never actually looked into it though.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17979 posts
2543 upvotes
Langley
You have to have plates and insurance on the trailer but you don't need any special coverage on the tow vehicle.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29945 posts
15779 upvotes
Ottawa
Depending on the size of the trailer, plates are not necessarily required.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1060 posts
787 upvotes
HAMILTON
Plates are always required on trailers. Trailers, casual use, are not insured separately as long as not for commercial use. They are covered by the towing vehicle. Commercial use, yes, for insured.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1013 posts
369 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
You do not need to tell your insurance company.

Liability automatically extends to the trailer when you are towing it (in Ontario).

If you want physical damage coverage's, at that point you would have to advise your insurer (the cost is cheap).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9330 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
RobertSmalls008 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 9:21 am
You do not need to tell your insurance company.

Liability automatically extends to the trailer when you are towing it (in Ontario).

If you want physical damage coverage's, at that point you would have to advise your insurer (the cost is cheap).
I would get it insurace, for example you back into someones car like a BMW, whos he gonna come looking for?
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29945 posts
15779 upvotes
Ottawa
dilligafeh wrote:
May 30th, 2016 9:54 pm
Not if you call truck nuts a trailer since they hang off your hitch... here in Ontario you need plates for all trailers or you're asking for trouble.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .4.2.shtml
Correct, I was mistaken about tow dollys.

"In the Highway Traffic Act (HTA), a tow dolly (i.e. trailer converter dolly) is defined as a device consisting of one or more axles, a fifth wheel lower-half and a tow bar. The device is used to convert a semi-trailer into a full trailer and it is exempt from registration in the Province of Ontario. Certain vehicles/devices are not required to be registered in Ontario when they are used specifically for the purpose for which they are manufactured. Below is a list of exempt vehicles/devices..."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8078 posts
1764 upvotes
akito925 wrote:
May 31st, 2016 10:05 am
I would get it insurace, for example you back into someones car like a BMW, whos he gonna come looking for?
Did you not read any posts here???

Why do all insurance threads have people giving advice despite having no idea what the answer is?
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
86 upvotes
Would they not notice your trailer hitch when they perform the initial car inspection for coverage?

Not letting your insurance company know that you occasionally tow a trailer just sounds like an easy opening for them to deny a claim if they can associate your trailer to an accident.