[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5188 posts
310 upvotes
Markham

insurnace question - foreign driver in Ontario

so had a rough experience today that im looking for guidance on

my wife who is from out of town was driving one our family cars (in my dads name) with me in the passenger seat on the highway. Stupidly we had not yet added her to our insurance policy which in retrospect I have realized was a big mistake...we had just come back to Canada this week so it was on our list of things to do...but I digress

We were part of an accident where a motorcyle crashed into another car and then into us...so totally not at fault...we have the police report number and insurance information of the other two cars that were involved in the accident (but in the shock I did not get the other witness info, though the police may provide...not sure)

My question is, can we still make an insurance claim even though she was not on the policy? Will insurance still cover the situation? Will we be subject to the deductible?

The damage was locallised to the front bumper only so i think it should be as simple as replacing it but im not sure the cost..

any guidance is appreciated is.
6 replies
Oct 24, 2014
151 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yes you can, she is technically borrowing the vehicle unless she lives in the same household as you.
Oct 18, 2015
92 posts
30 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I was an Auto Adjuster for more than 6 years and trained Adjuster for another 3 years. You can lend your vehicle to whomever you want, as long as they have a valid license and your insurance company will cover you.
You do have to notify your insurance company or broker of all licensed drivers living in the household. but if you just came back to Ontario, depending on how long, that is a reasonable explanation as to why, or if you don't have Ontario licenses yet.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4299 upvotes
another uninsured driver from Markham

what else is new?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5188 posts
310 upvotes
Markham
rfdinvest wrote:
Oct 18th, 2015 11:21 pm
Yes you can, she is technically borrowing the vehicle unless she lives in the same household as you.
well she is living in our household, but she is only here until January at which point she will fly back to her home in Houston as we navigate the immigration process.
dbesinsurance wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 12:47 am
I was an Auto Adjuster for more than 6 years and trained Adjuster for another 3 years. You can lend your vehicle to whomever you want, as long as they have a valid license and your insurance company will cover you.
You do have to notify your insurance company or broker of all licensed drivers living in the household. but if you just came back to Ontario, depending on how long, that is a reasonable explanation as to why, or if you don't have Ontario licenses yet.
We got back on Wednesday the 14th, she does not have an Ontario license. I do have a license in Ontario and am on the insurance, but just wasn't driving otherwise this would be much less of an issue/worry.

I do thank you for your advice.

One thing I wanted to ask, does her age matter? She is 24, turning 25 November 21. In your experience, will I be out of pocket anything? Since not our fault I assume not but I always worry when dealing with insurance companies...

We are with allstate if that matters.
Oct 18, 2015
92 posts
30 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Once she turns 25, you should see her rates go down. As far as the accident, no, age doesn't factor in. Also, what kind of license does she have ? If its a US license, no worries at all.
Also, there are a few things she will need to bring with her from the U.S in order to get a good rate for Ontario Insurance. First off is a drivers abstract from the State sh e currently drives in, that shows any tickets or convictions for at least the last 3 years. Also, if it can show when she was first licensed, that will help too.
Then a Letter of Experience from any insurance companies she has been with for the past 9 years. It will show if she had any claims, whether they were at fault or not and will be able to show continuous insurance.
INSURANCE BROKER(RIBO)
To receive advice about your specific situation, please speak directly to your insurance broker or company
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5188 posts
310 upvotes
Markham
dbesinsurance wrote:
Oct 19th, 2015 12:48 pm
Once she turns 25, you should see her rates go down. As far as the accident, no, age doesn't factor in. Also, what kind of license does she have ? If its a US license, no worries at all.
Also, there are a few things she will need to bring with her from the U.S in order to get a good rate for Ontario Insurance. First off is a drivers abstract from the State sh e currently drives in, that shows any tickets or convictions for at least the last 3 years. Also, if it can show when she was first licensed, that will help too.
Then a Letter of Experience from any insurance companies she has been with for the past 9 years. It will show if she had any claims, whether they were at fault or not and will be able to show continuous insurance.
thank you again. Yes she has a Texas license from the US. So as long as we are not considered at fault, we should be ok even though she wasn't on the insurance?

My other question is, I did not grab the witness name, but there was a police report and I got an OP number for the whole situation, which presumable documents the whole thing (though I have not seen it).

What is the best way to proceed? I have the officers information, who did take down witness info - should I call him and ask if I can get that info for my insurance purposes? Or would the report be sufficient? I have no idea what is on there, but I do know that the witness and I were on the same page about what happened (he was right behind us). I really regret not getting that info...just the shock of the situation I suppose.