Parenting & Family

Integrated Prenatal Screening - only one blood test?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 10:24 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2014
933 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Integrated Prenatal Screening - only one blood test?

As far as I know there are two blood tests required for IPS - one around 11 weeks and another around 15 weeks. I did the ultrasound and blood test at 11 weeks but when I called my doctor's office to confirm when to book the second blood test I was told it wasn't required since my test was negative. I thought both blood tests were required to determine if it's negative?

Has anyone else had only blood test? Everyone I've spoken to has had IPS 1 and IPS 2.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15841 posts
4730 upvotes
Ottawa
sn00ch wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 2:05 pm
As far as I know there are two blood tests required for IPS - one around 11 weeks and another around 15 weeks. I did the ultrasound and blood test at 11 weeks but when I called my doctor's office to confirm when to book the second blood test I was told it wasn't required since my test was negative. I thought both blood tests were required to determine if it's negative?

Has anyone else had only blood test? Everyone I've spoken to has had IPS 1 and IPS 2.
I believe it depends on your age and other risk factors.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1679 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
Depends which type of screening you've had. I find alot of people/practitioners actually mean First Trimester Screen (FTS) instead of the IPS. It's annoying but I think it's because both the FTS/IPS include an ultrasound where they measure the fluid buildup at the back of the developing baby's neck (Nuchal Translucency).

http://midwifery-care.com/wordpress/wp- ... eening.pdf

I thought this site describes the differences quite well: http://pacificfertility.ca/our-resource ... d-sips-ips

In Ontario, FTS is the prescreening of choice unless it's not available in your area as far as I understand.

With both my pregnancies (Peel Region), I had FTS done. I screened positive the 2nd time around and was given an option to do NIPT (non-invasive prenatal test) rather than Amniocentesis.

If I ever get preggo again, I'll pay the $700 and go right to NIPT rather than waste time with the FTS/IPS stuff.

I also think that screenings have changed a lot in the last 10 years. 5 years ago, FTS was "pretty new" and NIPT wasn't an option.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14112 posts
4575 upvotes
We have only done one blood test for ours - I believe what is said above is correct in that the second blood test is based on your risk factor from the first.