Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto

Intel NUC or mini pc setup

Hi, I am interested in buying Intel NUC or any other mini pc similar to NUC that i can mount behind my lcd and use wireless keyboard/mouse

usage is facebook/youtube/netflix/office/pictures

I need help with finding the right ssd/memory to put inside it and how much it all costs ... location toronto

i guess 128 ssd and 4gig ram.

i would also need wifi/blue tooth.

thanks
18 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
or do they have fully loaded ones where i dont have to buy and setup?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
thank you so much .... i will wait for the usb stick, perfect/cheap for office

thanx
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
Some people use the odroid U3 with the exynos 4412 for this, its by far the cheapest solution. Its one of the few Arm based processors that run a full Ubuntu install, and its the same processor that the Samsung Chromebook uses.
Dec 19, 2011
149 posts
17 upvotes
Cowansville
thesk8man wrote: i see it says windows 8 included and 2 gig of ram but what about harddrive? do i have to buy my own ssd?
come with 32gb or 64gb eMMC (integrated) .. its not exactly a SSD
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
These would be great for emulators. Im interested in getting one for sure, especially those intel sticks and the pico box. How does that Minix stuff compare?
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
Theres the nexus player for 100$ which has the same CPU as these nucs, and wireless AC support. I doubt you will get a full version of Linux or Windows running on it though so you'd have to be happy with Android, which has XBMC and probably most apps you'd need outside of Flash support.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
I am waiting for the new NUC 2.0 (codename "Rock Canyon" and "Maple Canyon") to hit shelves early 2015.
They look pretty nice. I'm hoping to eventually replace my boxee with one running XBMC.

This *official* pic shows the 3 different sizes the new NUC 2.0's will be available in.
[IMG]http://4d663a369f9f03c3c61e-870e77779ef ... Z96KYq.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
looks good!

Could someone please explain xbmc to me? Why is it better than a homegroup? what all features does it have?
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1603 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
xmbc is media app ... u can install it on windows or choose to get rid of windows and start your computer right into xmbc to watch movies and play music
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
XBMC is a cross platform video loading library with support for video plugins. It pulls in your video files from a specified folder/networked drive and automatically downloads covers for them, and provides a nice interface for choosing and watching movies.

It works on Linux, Android, Windows, Mac, and various other platforms, and it supports many remotes out of the box, and lets you control the application via http.

http://unlockfiretv.com/wp-content/uplo ... center.jpg

http://www.coyoteblog.com/wp-content/up ... iewall.jpg
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Unless you're using that ZBox strictly for XBMC, you will find it extremely under powered for anything else

Ever own a Netbook?
Aug 21, 2012
824 posts
104 upvotes
Gee wrote: Unless you're using that ZBox strictly for XBMC, you will find it extremely under powered for anything else

Ever own a Netbook?

Its not even comparable to a netbook, netbook typically use dual-core 15 watt processors, this thing has 2.2 watts for 4 cores. Obviously wattage isnt a direct indicator for power, but its guaranteed to be slow.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
turnipx wrote: Its not even comparable to a netbook, netbook typically use dual-core 15 watt processors, this thing has 2.2 watts for 4 cores. Obviously wattage isnt a direct indicator for power, but its guaranteed to be slow.
Cores only matter if your application can make use of it

It is still an Atom

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)