Computers & Electronics

Intel processors will take 5-30% performance hit (Windows/Linux) to fix kernel security bug

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2018 6:05 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
13768 posts
5429 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:19 am
Lawsuit count against Intel is up to 30 now: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/17 ... its_filed/

It certainly is well hidden in their annual report - I tried to find it and couldn't.
The fact is, all of the computers on earth need to be replaced because the Spectre bug cannot be fixed. It's only a matter of time before hackers can exploit it and wreak havoc worldwide. So either Intel and AMD are going to be sued into the ground, or else people are going to have to buy a whole lot of computers. This is going to be really interesting to watch. It gives a big opening to nVidia actually IMO. It opens the door for x86 to be replaced.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4840 posts
1317 upvotes
Halifax
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:28 am
I've gotten settlements on LCD price fixing, memory price fixing, and refrigerator pump price fixing in Canada.
I got money from the LCD and memory price fixing. it was only a small amount, and took months (over a year..). I forgot about it completely by the time the money arrived. Id imagine this will be the same thing. Almost not worth the time it takes to fill out
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2723 posts
1827 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:45 am
I got money from the LCD and memory price fixing. it was only a small amount, and took months (over a year..). I forgot about it completely by the time the money arrived. Id imagine this will be the same thing. Almost not worth the time it takes to fill out
Generally you get about $20 or so based on a simple declaration, but if you have receipts for multiple purchases, e.g., for a small office, you can easily get $50-$100 or more.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8355 posts
1585 upvotes
London
neverhaveiever wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:45 am
I think it was $10 or $15 for the 15" LCD I filed and similar to the memory settlement. Anyway speaking for myself, I was hoping Intel users will sell at any price to replace their box to Ryzen but I was just able to pick up a used 7600K for $150 during Christmas holidays. Was hoping for more but no luck and that was why I wrote "nobody cares anymore" in my last post here.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4840 posts
1317 upvotes
Halifax
apvm wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 11:23 am
I think it was $10 or $15 for the 15" LCD I filed and similar to the memory settlement. Anyway speaking for myself, I was hoping Intel users will sell at any price to replace their box to Ryzen but I was just able to pick up a used 7600K for $150 during Christmas holidays. Was hoping for more but no luck and that was why I wrote "nobody cares anymore" in my last post here.
yeah, people were all up in arms, but the reality seems to be it was just a headline. everyone is all "meltdown what?" now.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2091 posts
268 upvotes
In another world
What if we have laptops? Would a $20 settlement be enough to keep us satisfied while we think in getting a new laptop as the current one has security issues?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16340 posts
5001 upvotes
Toronto
Okay, I think the performance degradation has arrived at my doorstep. I have an i3-8100 desktop on an Asrock Z270 motherboard. After doing a windows updates and the second bios update since the announcement, my CPU usage no longer drops below around 27% even when doing nothing. It used to hover down at 2-3%. The process that takes the lions share of CPU usage is ntoskrnl.exe. That is close to the upper end of the predicted performance hit.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8355 posts
1585 upvotes
London
will888 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:09 pm
Okay, I think the performance degradation has arrived at my doorstep. I have an i3-8100 desktop on an Asrock Z270 motherboard. After doing a windows updates and the second bios update since the announcement, my CPU usage no longer drops below around 27% even when doing nothing. It used to hover down at 2-3%. The process that takes the lions share of CPU usage is ntoskrnl.exe. That is close to the upper end of the predicted performance hit.
I think you meant Asrock Z370, anyway, I have the i3-8100 and Asrock Z370 pro4 with bios version 1.70, Windows 10 pro 64bit (all updated) and my cpu usage is about 1-2% while typing this.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16340 posts
5001 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 3:04 pm
I think you meant Asrock Z370, anyway, I have the i3-8100 and Asrock Z370 pro4 with bios version 1.70, Windows 10 pro 64bit (all updated) and my cpu usage is about 1-2% while typing this.
Yes, typo on the motherboard model. I don't know how to explain it. I noticed this behavior with the 1.70 bios update. I am running the latest updates on everything.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8355 posts
1585 upvotes
London
will888 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 12:06 am
Yes, typo on the motherboard model. I don't know how to explain it. I noticed this behavior with the 1.70 bios update. I am running the latest updates on everything.
I googled "ntoskrnl.exe error" and some people mentioned maybe memory problem, anyway, I have no idea, not an expert. I did upgraded to 1.60 bios which no longer exist in Asrock website and downgraded back to 1.50 before I updated to 1.70. I do not have the problem that you have.

Anyway, you can download this utility from Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ws-Version once you are inside the program, click on the third tab "CPUID Data" and look for CPU revision under Processor classification. It should be 72. If it is 80 which is the patch that Intel has asked manufacturers to withdraw, you can downgrade your bios back to 1.50 and then update it to 1.70. The above is for if you have updated your bios to 1.60 before.

Just tested again my cpu usage with 21 tabs opened in Chrome and playing youtube, the cpu usage is 2-5%.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2723 posts
1827 upvotes
The last BIOS update for my Gigabyte motherboard was 2014. I suppose that means that there will never be an Intel CPU patch.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16340 posts
5001 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 7:38 am
I googled "ntoskrnl.exe error" and some people mentioned maybe memory problem, anyway, I have no idea, not an expert. I did upgraded to 1.60 bios which no longer exist in Asrock website and downgraded back to 1.50 before I updated to 1.70. I do not have the problem that you have.

Anyway, you can download this utility from Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ws-Version once you are inside the program, click on the third tab "CPUID Data" and look for CPU revision under Processor classification. It should be 72. If it is 80 which is the patch that Intel has asked manufacturers to withdraw, you can downgrade your bios back to 1.50 and then update it to 1.70. The above is for if you have updated your bios to 1.60 before.

Just tested again my cpu usage with 21 tabs opened in Chrome and playing youtube, the cpu usage is 2-5%.
So my problem is related to not downgrading the bios to 1.50 before going to 1.70? I use the update feature from within the bios and so I just get the latest. I guess I have to do download and do a manual update. I have not looked into the site, do they still have the 1.50 bios?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8355 posts
1585 upvotes
London
will888 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 8:14 am
So my problem is related to not downgrading the bios to 1.50 before going to 1.70? I use the update feature from within the bios and so I just get the latest. I guess I have to do download and do a manual update. I have not looked into the site, do they still have the 1.50 bios?
Not sure if that is the case, use the Intel utility that I linked and check to see if your cpu revision is 72 or 80, if it is 72, your problem should not be bios related. Asrock still has old bios version for download except 1.60.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22881 posts
3246 upvotes
gontori wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 12:27 pm
What if we have laptops? Would a $20 settlement be enough to keep us satisfied while we think in getting a new laptop as the current one has security issues?
Doesn't matter what you're satisfied with, if you go in on a class-action you will have to take whatever the settlement is divided by the millions of ppl that went in on it with you. $20 is all you're gonna get lol. You could opt-out of the class and sue Intel yourself though, but good luck with that. Most people just hop in on class actions just to get a free $20-30, not because they actually think they're entitled to something for their "hardships".
will888 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:09 pm
Windows does a ton of things in the background so it's likely you're not "at 27% when doing nothing"...the reality is there is probably something going on. This update isn't going to cause your computer to use more CPU time at idle, that's just make believe lol. Windows does everything from updates, prefetch optimisation, virus scans, defragging, system restore points, error reporting, and the list goes on, all while not telling you anything about it. Many times my PC will pop up a "You had no viruses on your last scan." nonsense message just out of nowhere. Well obviously it must have been scanning the last 10-30 minutes and using resources while doing so. There's no indication it's doing something like that until it's done. And all the other tasks there's no indication at all. It is incredibly unlikely your PC is taking 27% CPU while "doing nothing". The fact is it's doing something, you just don't know what at that moment.
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 7:45 am
The last BIOS update for my Gigabyte motherboard was 2014. I suppose that means that there will never be an Intel CPU patch.
That's largely irrelevant. The microcode updates can be implemented in the OS--modern OSes can do this while booting and before the OS loads. No BIOS update for your 10yr old+ motherboard doesn't mean anything unless your OS isn't going to implement the fix eventually.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16340 posts
5001 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 11:10 am

Windows does a ton of things in the background so it's likely you're not "at 27% when doing nothing"...the reality is there is probably something going on. This update isn't going to cause your computer to use more CPU time at idle, that's just make believe lol. Windows does everything from updates, prefetch optimisation, virus scans, defragging, system restore points, error reporting, and the list goes on, all while not telling you anything about it. Many times my PC will pop up a "You had no viruses on your last scan." nonsense message just out of nowhere. Well obviously it must have been scanning the last 10-30 minutes and using resources while doing so. There's no indication it's doing something like that until it's done. And all the other tasks there's no indication at all. It is incredibly unlikely your PC is taking 27% CPU while "doing nothing". The fact is it's doing something, you just don't know what at that moment.
The high CPU usage is real. It is corroborated by the draw on my UPS.