Computers & Electronics

Intel processors will take 5-30% performance hit (Windows/Linux) to fix kernel security bug

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2018 10:27 am
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16783 posts
5298 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 10:08 am
Not sure if that is the case, use the Intel utility that I linked and check to see if your cpu revision is 72 or 80, if it is 72, your problem should not be bios related. Asrock still has old bios version for download except 1.60.
I will check this out tonight.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23280 posts
3586 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 11:30 am
The high CPU usage is real. It is corroborated by the draw on my UPS.
:facepalm:

I didn't say it's not real. Read again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3233 posts
2174 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 11:10 am
The microcode updates can be implemented in the OS--modern OSes can do this while booting and before the OS loads. No BIOS update for your 10yr old+ motherboard doesn't mean anything unless your OS isn't going to implement the fix eventually.
As far as I am aware, Intel cpu microcode updates are only available through a motherboard BIOS update. Microsoft can make patches in Windows to work around Meltdown and Spectre, but I haven't seen any mention of Windows patching cpu microcode.

And why would you assume incorrectly that my motherboard is 10+ years old because the last BIOS update was 3.5 years ago? Motherboard manufacturers typically stop issuing BIOS updates after about 2 years when all the major bugs have been fixed and it has been superseded by new models.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14582 posts
5790 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 10:09 pm
Okay, I think the performance degradation has arrived at my doorstep. I have an i3-8100 desktop on an Asrock Z270 motherboard. After doing a windows updates and the second bios update since the announcement, my CPU usage no longer drops below around 27% even when doing nothing. It used to hover down at 2-3%. The process that takes the lions share of CPU usage is ntoskrnl.exe. That is close to the upper end of the predicted performance hit.
I am noticing similar things on my i5 4690k (Haswell). I did a full backup using Macrium Reflect the other day and my PC was completely unusable while it was doing it. I never remember that happening before.

It could be related to the fact that we are both using 4c/4t processors.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5743 posts
763 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 4:43 pm
I am noticing similar things on my i5 4690k (Haswell). I did a full backup using Macrium Reflect the other day and my PC was completely unusable while it was doing it. I never remember that happening before.

It could be related to the fact that we are both using 4c/4t processors.
Try using InSpectre to disable the mitigation in windows and see if it helps. If it returns to the original performance then yes you know it’s soemthing to do w the Spectre patch.

It just sets a registry key to enable/disable the mitigation in windows. You can enable or disable Spectre and Meltdown mitigation’s separately.

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3248985 ... ectre.html
https://www.windowscentral.com/inspectr ... nd-spectre

Note: The Smartscreen/Malware false detection described in the article is no longer an issue. Microsoft has since whitelisted the program.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8415 posts
1602 upvotes
London
Speaking for myself, I just picked up another used 7600K for $150, will switch out my daughter's 6600k tomorrow. Now hoping for a 8400 for cheap. There is a Ryzen 1500x for $160 but I passed since I need new motherboard and a video card with it, not worth the extra money.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2685 posts
368 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 8:25 pm
Speaking for myself, I just picked up another used 7600K for $150, will switch out my daughter's 6600k tomorrow. Now hoping for a 8400 for cheap. There is a Ryzen 1500x for $160 but I passed since I need new motherboard and a video card with it, not worth the extra money.
There you get the 7600k for so cheap?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16783 posts
5298 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 7:38 am
I googled "ntoskrnl.exe error" and some people mentioned maybe memory problem, anyway, I have no idea, not an expert. I did upgraded to 1.60 bios which no longer exist in Asrock website and downgraded back to 1.50 before I updated to 1.70. I do not have the problem that you have.

Anyway, you can download this utility from Intel https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ws-Version once you are inside the program, click on the third tab "CPUID Data" and look for CPU revision under Processor classification. It should be 72. If it is 80 which is the patch that Intel has asked manufacturers to withdraw, you can downgrade your bios back to 1.50 and then update it to 1.70. The above is for if you have updated your bios to 1.60 before.

Just tested again my cpu usage with 21 tabs opened in Chrome and playing youtube, the cpu usage is 2-5%.
I downloaded the utility, ran it and the CPU revision is 72. So, not a bios problem, must be something else then.

Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15035 posts
4336 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 11:10 am
Many times my PC will pop up a "You had no viruses on your last scan."
Indeed, i swear they design it to pop up only when your away from the computer, it took a very long time to pop up when i was actually on the computer one day so i finally found out what the sound meant. For the longest time i wondered if a virus or malware was causing it.
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14582 posts
5790 upvotes
This whole thing was a shenanigan. It turns out Google discovered the bug, and then told Intel and AMD. But no one told the US government. All the while the CEOs of AMD and Intel sold off their stocks. Now Intel and AMD will both get sued and we'll be lucky to see them around in five years, these are going to be massive lawsuits. It's a huge opening for nVidia in the CPU space and I'm sure they know about it. I'm wondering if this could mean the end of x86.

AMD in particular can't withstand lawsuits like this.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1383 posts
610 upvotes
GTA
Intel and AMD won't end ... you know very well that's not how corporations work, common. That's like replacing the entire world with a new line of CPU's .... its a bit overkill don't you think? They will just get fines up the a$$, few people will get threatened with jail, if they actually do time, probably just disappear, replace and reshuffle the cabinet all of which is a slap on the wrist. Like Samsung, Apple get all the time, and they are way smaller then INTEL/AMD and still around.

That's like suggesting the Cyrix CPU will make a comeback. Now if that happens and AMD/INTEL end, I will put my foot in my mouth and buy you dinner.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14582 posts
5790 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 6:59 pm
Intel and AMD won't end ... you know very well that's not how corporations work, common. That's like replacing the entire world with a new line of CPU's .... its a bit overkill don't you think? They will just get fines up the a$$, few people will get threatened with jail, if they actually do time, probably just disappear, replace and reshuffle the cabinet all of which is a slap on the wrist. Like Samsung, Apple get all the time, and they are way smaller then INTEL/AMD and still around.

That's like suggesting the Cyrix CPU will make a comeback. Now if that happens and AMD/INTEL end, I will put my foot in my mouth and buy you dinner.
Eh I would have settled for you not downvoting me hundreds of times for no reason and not upvoting everyone that disagrees with me. Electric Light Bulb
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1383 posts
610 upvotes
GTA
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 7:21 pm
Eh I would have settled for you not downvoting me hundreds of times for no reason and not upvoting everyone that disagrees with me. Electric Light Bulb
Hey please don't point the "hundreds" target all on me. You have other frienemies on here as well, for whatever their and your reasons are in disagreement. I was upset at you the fact that you implied I was a Team Red "advocate" or "shill" or I get paid by AMD PR to say the things that I do just because I owned a few of their products, among you and your friends, and in all that heat you missed the fact that I posted I had 3 cards at the time, Sapphire R9 380X 4GB, MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB, MSI Gaming X GTX 1080. I never took sides I owned both, and at one point or another both had shit drivers. I wasn't appreciative of Team Green's practices to the consumer market, because they think they can do whatever they please. But that's in the past and I don't care anymore. I just wish their was a 3rd option on the graphics market.