Computers & Electronics

Intel processors will take 5-30% performance hit (Windows/Linux) to fix kernel security bug

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2018 8:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7929 posts
891 upvotes
Victoria
On a positive note my new laptop got a bios update from dell yesterday. Seems to now pass all the tests on the powershell test you can run....

Kind of doubting my 2600k will ever get patched.... Mobo manufacturer hasn't released a bios update since 2012.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1778 posts
183 upvotes
I'm not up to date om these exploits. How easy is it for someone to hack into my computer if i don't update?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2200 posts
1471 upvotes
Phat_cow wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 9:23 am
I'm not up to date om these exploits. How easy is it for someone to hack into my computer if i don't update?
The consensus of the available information seems to be that there are no known cases of any malware exploiting these vulnerabilities as yet, and it wouldn't be easy.

On the other hand it's also clear that many systems will never be patched, and it may be impossible to fully patch current generation systems. Malware authors will have years to study the vulnerabilities and craft their attacks.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1884 posts
404 upvotes
Windsor
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 11:04 pm
Intel’s latest set of Spectre microcode fixes is coming to a Windows update
Windows users will no longer be beholden to their motherboard makers.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03 ... ode-fixes/
I have a 0 for 3 record with updating BIOS from Windows, spread pretty evenly over the last 10-ish years. I really hope this is something you have to allow, and not something automatic; would suck to reboot my work-PC and Windows decides to brick it.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1100 posts
392 upvotes
GTA
ChubChub wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 6:27 pm
I have a 0 for 3 record with updating BIOS from Windows, spread pretty evenly over the last 10-ish years. I really hope this is something you have to allow, and not something automatic; would suck to reboot my work-PC and Windows decides to brick it.
I always have a pen drive ready to go with BIOSes on them for boards I need and have the instant flash ready in case of such an occurrence.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8316 posts
1555 upvotes
London
Asrock just released a new bios for my Z370 Pro 4, downloaded but this time I will be waiting for a while before updating.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1100 posts
392 upvotes
GTA
apvm wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 7:50 pm
Asrock just released a new bios for my Z370 Pro 4, downloaded but this time I will be waiting for a while before updating.
I have BIOS updates for both my Z170X Gaming 5 and Z370 Gaming 5 from GB but I haven't touched the BIOS updates. Both of them say last updated end of January 2018. Not sure if I want to dabble in them for now. I'm leaving both boards on the previous revisions for now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7929 posts
891 upvotes
Victoria
I let the bios update install on my Dell 7130 (which uses an 8250). No problems that I've noticed.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
12247 posts
4650 upvotes
I just installed the Spectre BIOS patch on my Asrock Z370 Killer SLI motherboard. Everything went well. I had thoughts about flashing the latest pre-Spectre BIOS so I could manually disable the patch later if I wanted, but I just went for it.

As an aside I will say I really like Coffee Lake. I just got an 8700K. It overclocks to 4.7ghz on 1.25v with temperatures around 50-60C under load with only a Corsair H60 water cooling setup. I'm super impressed. I think the overheating issues with Coffee Lake were overblown. Either that or I got a really good chip.
I am a Public Mobile, Zoomer, and Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1100 posts
392 upvotes
GTA
SickBeast wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 1:04 pm
I just installed the Spectre BIOS patch on my Asrock Z370 Killer SLI motherboard. Everything went well. I had thoughts about flashing the latest pre-Spectre BIOS so I could manually disable the patch later if I wanted, but I just went for it.

As an aside I will say I really like Coffee Lake. I just got an 8700K. It overclocks to 4.7ghz on 1.25v with temperatures around 50-60C under load with only a Corsair H60 water cooling setup. I'm super impressed. I think the overheating issues with Coffee Lake were overblown. Either that or I got a really good chip.
No, they were way over-blown by the users of i7-6700k and i7-7700k that were de-lidding the CPU's. Those had heat issues. Coffee Lake is just fine, even with high end air coolers. I have the non-K 8700. I have max multiplier set, mce is on and set my bclk to 102.9. Single cores or rather I should say individual cores will boost to 4.7GHz. All cores boosting here together to 4.4GHz. Very impressive processor. Intel Management Engine won't allow setting the bclk to/past 103. That will cause the system to not post. Hence that's where Intel "locked" the processor. Otherwise good cpu over all.

When did you go with Coffee Lake? I thought you went with Ryzen 1800X and said you were going to skip this Intel gen because of the Spectre/Meltdown? Change of heart?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
12247 posts
4650 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 2:47 pm
No, they were way over-blown by the users of i7-6700k and i7-7700k that were de-lidding the CPU's. Those had heat issues. Coffee Lake is just fine, even with high end air coolers. I have the non-K 8700. I have max multiplier set, mce is on and set my bclk to 102.9. Single cores or rather I should say individual cores will boost to 4.7GHz. All cores boosting here together to 4.4GHz. Very impressive processor. Intel Management Engine won't allow setting the bclk to/past 103. That will cause the system to not post. Hence that's where Intel "locked" the processor. Otherwise good cpu over all.

When did you go with Coffee Lake? I thought you went with Ryzen 1800X and said you were going to skip this Intel gen because of the Spectre/Meltdown? Change of heart?
I keep getting deals on stuff from my friends in the States. An offer came my way for the 8700K for $300USD shipped so I jumped on it. Then a couple other guys I know sold me the motherboard for $100USD shipped and 16gb of DDR4 RAM for $120USD shipped. I had been using an i5 4690k but it was getting long in the tooth, particularly for gaming with my GTX 1080 Ti SLI setup. I was just finding that during heavy multitasking it was getting bogged down.

I still have Ryzen. I have two rigs going right now.

The way I look at it is PC gaming is a cheap hobby compared to other things.

I'm impressed with how you overclocked the non-K version. It's good to know you can do that.

I've found that there is a bit of a wall in exceeding 4.7ghz with mine. I got it to boot Windows at 4.8ghz but it was not stable and I didn't want to add more voltage. My cooling is just not going to be able to handle it.

The thing with Ryzen was that it was a bit of a disappointment in terms of gaming. It wouldn't overclock at all, not even to 3.9ghz. At stock it runs at 3.7ghz so going for 3.8ghz seemed pointless considering it would disable the single core boost to 4.1ghz.

While I would probably be fine for gaming at 3.7ghz with Ryzen, I know Coffee Lake will be better for me in the long run. Plus I would say it will give me better 99th percentile frame times even right now in the games I play.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1100 posts
392 upvotes
GTA
SickBeast wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 2:57 pm
I keep getting deals on stuff from my friends in the States. An offer came my way for the 8700K for $300USD shipped so I jumped on it. Then a couple other guys I know sold me the motherboard for $100USD shipped and 16gb of DDR4 RAM for $120USD shipped. I had been using an i5 4690k but it was getting long in the tooth, particularly for gaming with my GTX 1080 Ti SLI setup. I was just finding that during heavy multitasking it was getting bogged down.

I still have Ryzen. I have two rigs going right now.

The way I look at it is PC gaming is a cheap hobby compared to other things.

I'm impressed with how you overclocked the non-K version. It's good to know you can do that.

I've found that there is a bit of a wall in exceeding 4.7ghz with mine. I got it to boot Windows at 4.8ghz but it was not stable and I didn't want to add more voltage. My cooling is just not going to be able to handle it.

The thing with Ryzen was that it was a bit of a disappointment in terms of gaming. It wouldn't overclock at all, not even to 3.9ghz. At stock it runs at 3.7ghz so going for 3.8ghz seemed pointless considering it would disable the single core boost to 4.1ghz.

While I would probably be fine for gaming at 3.7ghz with Ryzen, I know Coffee Lake will be better for me in the long run. Plus I would say it will give me better 99th percentile frame times even right now in the games I play.
Nice. Sounds like you got some good deals from your friends down in the USA. Well, I could imagine the CPU creating a bottleneck on the i5 4690k, even overclocked if you are using 1080Ti in an SLI setup, it kind of makes sense that the GPU's overpower the processor. Did you try using them in your Ryzen setup to see if the system would get bogged down during heavy multitasking as that was your newest processor? Or was it just not good for gaming? I'm curious to know. OK, - reading and replying so you still have Ryzen rig.

I agree that PC gaming is a cheaper hobby then other things, and a better hobby then one of my friend does (changing cell phones constantly hobby to newest models of different flavours) I think thats pointless, but to each their own.

Thanks, I had some help from youtube and some other forums on how to correctly setup the non-K 8700 to get that extra power. Don't get me wrong 3.2GHz is not bad but knowing you can do a few little tricks to get it up to par helps. They recommend though having an higher end board so you don't run into issues. I have the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 so that made the difference. Just a few tweaks like I posted above, (max multiplier set, mce is on and set my bclk to 102.9) and voila, single core boost to 4.7 and all cores at 4.4GHz with decent temps. I got lucky also because my buddy decided to go water cooling on his 8700K and gave me his Noctua NH-D15 so having the turbos helps my temps. I would say the average is about 55-56C. Not bad, considering.

At least you got a stable OC at 4.7GHz, what are the voltages like low? If so then thats nice to hear. Sucks to hear it didn't go past 4.8GHz without being stable. Ahh, the cooling can't handle it, bummer.

I was going to say my buddy got his 8700K stable and running at 5.0Ghz 1.265v. But he's using the EVGA 280 CLC. Not sure if he is using the AVX offset, or he managed to do it with it disabled. I can't remember now.

Ryzen was really that bad at gaming on those 1080ti cards? Sounds like a dudder overclock you had there. Was it one of the initial release chips? I heard those were duds and some people were able to RMA them. Did you RMA your Ryzen and get a dud or you still didn't RMA or they won't accept your RMA?

Yea seems like CL will be better in the long run. I won't upgrade for awhile either, maybe graphics but that about it. I went non-K and I'm happy with the results of the CPU. Either they are all made good or it was a lotto chip. Don't know. With that O/C yea, youi will get better FPS in gaming no doubt, even though they are not using all the cores. Single core games, when this chip runs at 4.7 I notice the difference as well, compared to Skylake. Just need to up the ante on my GPU side.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
12247 posts
4650 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 6:23 pm
Nice. Sounds like you got some good deals from your friends down in the USA. Well, I could imagine the CPU creating a bottleneck on the i5 4690k, even overclocked if you are using 1080Ti in an SLI setup, it kind of makes sense that the GPU's overpower the processor. Did you try using them in your Ryzen setup to see if the system would get bogged down during heavy multitasking as that was your newest processor? Or was it just not good for gaming? I'm curious to know. OK, - reading and replying so you still have Ryzen rig.

I agree that PC gaming is a cheaper hobby then other things, and a better hobby then one of my friend does (changing cell phones constantly hobby to newest models of different flavours) I think thats pointless, but to each their own.

Thanks, I had some help from youtube and some other forums on how to correctly setup the non-K 8700 to get that extra power. Don't get me wrong 3.2GHz is not bad but knowing you can do a few little tricks to get it up to par helps. They recommend though having an higher end board so you don't run into issues. I have the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 so that made the difference. Just a few tweaks like I posted above, (max multiplier set, mce is on and set my bclk to 102.9) and voila, single core boost to 4.7 and all cores at 4.4GHz with decent temps. I got lucky also because my buddy decided to go water cooling on his 8700K and gave me his Noctua NH-D15 so having the turbos helps my temps. I would say the average is about 55-56C. Not bad, considering.

At least you got a stable OC at 4.7GHz, what are the voltages like low? If so then thats nice to hear. Sucks to hear it didn't go past 4.8GHz without being stable. Ahh, the cooling can't handle it, bummer.

I was going to say my buddy got his 8700K stable and running at 5.0Ghz 1.265v. But he's using the EVGA 280 CLC. Not sure if he is using the AVX offset, or he managed to do it with it disabled. I can't remember now.

Ryzen was really that bad at gaming on those 1080ti cards? Sounds like a dudder overclock you had there. Was it one of the initial release chips? I heard those were duds and some people were able to RMA them. Did you RMA your Ryzen and get a dud or you still didn't RMA or they won't accept your RMA?

Yea seems like CL will be better in the long run. I won't upgrade for awhile either, maybe graphics but that about it. I went non-K and I'm happy with the results of the CPU. Either they are all made good or it was a lotto chip. Don't know. With that O/C yea, youi will get better FPS in gaming no doubt, even though they are not using all the cores. Single core games, when this chip runs at 4.7 I notice the difference as well, compared to Skylake. Just need to up the ante on my GPU side.
Ryzen is a dedicated mining rig at this point and I didn't want to be mining using the CPU I was actively using. I figured my i5 4690k at 4.5ghz would be faster than Ryzen at 3.7ghz for gaming. I never bothered to test it. My GTX 1080 Ti cards are water cooled and it's a fair bit of work to transplant them over and they're pretty delicate.

As for my coffee lake overclock, it's running at around 1.25v at 4.7ghz. Pretty good I guess. My Asrock motherboard isn't great for overclocking. Gigabyte is much better, they are the best brand of motherboards IMO.

Actually I just ordered a Corsair h115i setup so that should solve my cooling problems. I don't think I will overclock higher though. With that Ebay coupon that just came out today I was able to get the h115i for only around $70 including shipping so it seems like a great deal. It's refurbished but so is my H60 and I have been using it for years and years now.

No AVX offset or lowered cache speed, although I hear that helps in obtaining a high overclock.

It looks like I will need the h115i, my temps are around 75C in Cinebench. I guess the other tests I ran didn't fully load the CPU. Plus I don't even think Cinebench is an AVX workload. I'm not even going to run Prime95 on this thing. I think it will overheat and throttle. I would never do that to my hardware.

I did do some gaming on Ryzen with my old GTX 1070 SLI setup. It was quite good actually. I didn't have any complaints. But then again I'm gaming at 4k resolution so the CPU is generally not much of a bottleneck, if at all.

Anyhow, back to the topic of the thread, I'm hearing there is a new Spectre vulnerability that was just discovered:

https://www.neowin.net/news/spectre-has ... -intel-sgx

I hope there is not another performance hit involved with the fix. I am guessing there will be. This is turning out to be a real disaster for Intel and AMD.
Last edited by SickBeast on Mar 3rd, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2537 posts
796 upvotes
It's good that intel is putting the software patches for the intel microcodes inside Windows. It was never realistic for end users to patch and repatch the mobo for every flaw found.

I still expect ASUS to step up and give me a bios update for my z97 mobo.