Computers & Electronics

Intel processors will take 5-30% performance hit (Windows/Linux) to fix kernel security bug

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2018 6:05 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16340 posts
5000 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 7:50 pm
Asrock just released a new bios for my Z370 Pro 4, downloaded but this time I will be waiting for a while before updating.
Well I had nothing to lose with 1.70 causing my CPU to go no lower than around 30%. I just installed it half hour ago. Pleasantly surprised that things are back to normal. The CPU hovers around a few percent when there is little activity. I would recommend the update.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8355 posts
1585 upvotes
London
will888 wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 11:47 pm
Well I had nothing to lose with 1.70 causing my CPU to go no lower than around 30%. I just installed it half hour ago. Pleasantly surprised that things are back to normal. The CPU hovers around a few percent when there is little activity. I would recommend the update.
Thank you for the information.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
12706 posts
3116 upvotes
Montreal
The bad thing about these kludge patches is the larger your workload the more you notice the massive slowdowns.

For example, the laptop I'm on right now is an older 4-series with 8GB and as long as I just do regular tasks I hardly notice the patch leeching away my CPU and disk I/O performance, So I kept the patch on that one.

But on my new main work/school laptop (an 8-series quad-core i5, 16GB DDR4, 480GB SSD) which I use to process MASSIVE database, image, program, and spreadsheet files these "patches" are an absolute nightmare. What used to take a few seconds to process and save, can now take a minute, and I was always getting "not enough resources" alerts when starting particularly arduous tasks and that certain features (like undo) would not be available.

It was absolutely insane and Intel's kludge patches made this hyper-fast, brand new laptop into a useless doorstop, so I decided to delete the patches and it's again absolutely burning through my jobs without a single error or slowdown in sight. In this case, the cure was much worse than the disease and I have halted all patches until I hear Intel has taken their head out of their ass.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5240 posts
1880 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Anyone know how AMD's Ryzen is holding up with regards to the Spectre and Meltdown bugs? Lenovo is going to be releasing a Ryzen based Thinkpad laptop based on some leaks. I looked at some benchmarks for the Ryzen 5 2500U at its CPU performance is comparable to the new i5 8250u (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Our-first ... 618.0.html). AMD based laptops also tend to be a bit cheaper, so that's always a plus.

Today, AMD announced that they're expecting Ryzen will be used on at least 40 different laptop models in 2018:

"Though a limited number of Ryzen Mobile notebooks launched last year, Anderson says a much broader rollout will happen in 2018, with 40-plus systems launching. This includes business notebooks that will be relying on AMD's Ryzen Pro Mobile processor line, which launches in Q2"

Source: https://www.thestreet.com/story/1451965 ... -2018.html
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
2663 posts
538 upvotes
Does anyone when they'll start making chips that are not affected?

I have a 2nd and 5th generation processor and I'm idling at 5% right now. Not that bad?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1242 posts
503 upvotes
GTA
vivibaby wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 3:46 pm
Does anyone when they'll start making chips that are not affected?

I have a 2nd and 5th generation processor and I'm idling at 5% right now. Not that bad?
My Skylake (6th gen) that I replaced for Coffee Lake idle's at 3-5%. i5-6600K, I think that's normal. Meltdown and Spectre BIOS patched on it. I haven't done the BIOS update on my Coffee Lake system because I want to wait a bit still.

Expect at least 2 more generations of Intel until this exploit is patched at the hardware level. Supposedly Coffee Lake might have a refresh (Coffee Lake v2 @ 14nm) and then after that its successor will be Ice Lake @ 10nm process/microarchitecture.
It is expected that Ice Lake will have in-silicon mitigations for the Meltdown and Spectre hardware vulnerabilities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Lake_ ... hitecture)

Earliest Ice Lake, if not Ice Lake then Tiger Lake (successor) will be patched. So if Coffee Lake v1 is gen 8, lets say GEN 10 (Ice Lake) or GEN 11 (Tiger Lake) until its patched at the hardware level.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2723 posts
1827 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:21 pm
Oh boy, some bad news for AMD today Slightly Frowning Face:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fl ... 36656.html
Little information available yet, so no way to judge credibility.

But it was reported last month that AMD processors have a key security weakness in that they contain an entire extra ARM processor on the chip to manage security, and that ARM processor has no security itself. If someone finds a way to access it, it has access to all system memory and resources and completely bypasses the security of the main CPU.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
13768 posts
5429 upvotes
The information on the AMD CPU flaws seems quite sketchy at the moment but this could really be catastrophic for AMD if it's indeed true.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5240 posts
1880 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:49 pm

Report released by a short seller that has a big short position on AMD.
AMD stock actually went up today. Face With Tears Of Joy I mean, it did drop a few cents initially, but not more than on a normal day.

Edit: Perhaps this is why, takeover rumors: https://seekingalpha.com/news/3337176-t ... amd-flying
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"