• Jan 6th, 2019 6:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4289 posts
1090 upvotes

Interac Text Scam

I send and receive e transfers all the time.
At end and beginning of month, some of my renters e transfer rent to me.

Got an e transfer a few hrs ago and the amount was unusual but I thought maybe one of my renters is paying part of it now and rest later.

Looks very similar to other e transfer texts I get.

I clicked on it and it asked me which financial institution I was to deposit funds into. Looks just like the real thing.

Selected my bank and entered my card number and password.

Then it asked me to create 3 security questions and answers to those questions. That raised a bit of flag. Never seen it before but I thought bank is just implementing new security measures.

Then it said it would take 48 hrs for deposit to be processed. Never seen that before thus it raised a bigger flag.

Called my bank right away and rep was pretty sure it was a scam so I changed my password and 3 security questions from PC.

Bank said I am covered from any potential losses.

I can't believe how legit everything looks and I am typically quite aware of scams.

It was from 1 782 377 0651 (Nova Scotia area code).

Now looking back, text e transfer is not usually from a number like that. Usually from 100001.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10215 posts
4838 upvotes
Toronto
Got one saying I overpaid something blah blah blah.....

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 22, 2012
186 posts
125 upvotes
AMHERST
My wife received a text today with a html link claiming Fido owed her a refund via Interac. Definitely a scam but it did look legit.
Dec 24, 2007
591 posts
506 upvotes
BC
Got one supposedly from BMO but I don't bank there. I tapped on the link just to see what it would ask for and it ask for 3 security questions. I just answered: Jack, Me, Off to the questions and it said "Confirmed". What a scam, it looked pretty legit though.

Hope they had a good laugh.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1420 posts
670 upvotes
TORONTO
What was the website url used by the scammers?

The real domain name used by interac is interac.ca.
May 16, 2017
454 posts
476 upvotes
M8Rxmjsik wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 5:30 pm
What was the website url used by the scammers?

The real domain name used by interac is interac.ca.
The problem is that most people that get scammed aren't technically literate enough to know what "website url" or "domain name" mean, nor how to catch minor variations that point to a scam.

I just got one recently and it was interac-text.com or something like that. Is that sufficient to send up red flags in many people's minds?

Scams work because of greed, panic, ignorance, FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) and lack of critical thinking skills and unfortunately, inadequate intellectual capacity whether because of age, disability or lack of education. All these contribute to scam success by leading the vulnerable to make a bad decision in haste.
Apr 6, 2008
894 posts
441 upvotes
Whenever I receive e transfers, the sender's name is listed in the email subject. If I don't see it, or don't recognize the name, or don't expect payment (I haven't spoke to them beforehand) then I don't accept. Obviously a little tougher with tenants, but you should have an idea on what names, amounts and dates for it to tell if it's legit or not.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1888 posts
797 upvotes
Kitchener
I get these all the time. Got one a couple days ago from my cellular service provider that I had overpaid and they had money to pay back to me. Joke is on them, you have to fight tooth and nail for any overpayments to the providers.
Well, I am not a crook.