• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 6:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2423 posts
310 upvotes

Interesting feedback from interview via recruiter

I went for a interview with a finacial instustion and got interesting feedback from the recruiter. He said j am very good technally but I seemed bored and uninstresed. He suggested I smiled more. Can someone explain to me what this means.
31 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6239 posts
3396 upvotes
Edmonton
EEE2 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 5:42 pm
I went for a interview with a finacial instustion and got interesting feedback from the recruiter. He said j am very good technally but I seemed bored and uninstresed. He suggested I smiled more. Can someone explain to me what this means.
It means smile more. Be more friendly. Be interested in them, the job, the company, etc.

You're not being hired just to do a job. You often need to fit in with the rest of your team.

C
Mar 13, 2018
340 posts
200 upvotes
Means you have poor soft skills/people skills

Despite what people tell you especially on here, soft skills/people skills are generally much much more important than hard skills even in STEM let alone other sectors/roles

Unless you're in academia, soft skills is important more than technical skills except for niche roles
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6773 posts
1198 upvotes
Mississauga
You also need to improve on your spelling skills.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8281 posts
2711 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Raggie wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 7:51 pm
You also need to improve on your spelling skills.
Or understand that basic proofreading or use of a spellchecking plug-in for your browser is also required to improve overall presentation.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20337 posts
7319 upvotes
Ottawa
Did you have one elbow on the table and resting one side of your face on your hand?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2423 posts
310 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 8:30 am
Did you have one elbow on the table and resting one side of your face on your hand?
No
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3021 posts
2493 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Did you yawn and put your feet on the desk in a laid back position during the interview?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
4853 posts
2235 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
EEE2 wrote:
It seems pretty straight forward. What part aren't you getting? You need to learn to engage with people better I'm guessing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2423 posts
310 upvotes
They called me in for a second interview.
May 29, 2017
34 posts
8 upvotes
EEE2 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 2:30 pm
They called me in for a second interview.

Sounds like they gave you a heads up on how to behave for the second interview. That recruiter pretty much is giving you an olive branch. Take it. Act super interested and eager
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8281 posts
2711 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Cnsr0033 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 3:26 pm
Sounds like they gave you a heads up on how to behave for the second interview. That recruiter pretty much is giving you an olive branch. Take it. Act super interested and eager
Also think of follow-up questions for the interviewer -> that shows that you are engaged and have done some thinking.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
1600 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote:
It took me a long time to figure this out.

No matter how good you are or how you think you are, there are dozens of other applicants just as qualified as you. Managers can teach employees how to do their job. They want culture and how to fit in a team. Smiling makes you seem more open.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1257 posts
889 upvotes
There are only 2 questions that all interviewers need to answer:

1. Can you do the job? That is, do you have the skills to do it?
2. Will you do the job? Right fit, performance issues, etc.

Fact is that most employee performance issues are the result of employees simply deciding that they won't do the job. They all have their excuses - they don't agree with certain decisions, they don't get along with someone else, they feel they should have been promoted, they feel that they have been treated unfairly...the list is endless. The fact is that they have the skills to do the job, but they just don't want to do it. Most of these fall under the soft skills - interpersonal skills, communication skills, teamwork, dealing with difficult situations, resiliency, integrity.

In the OP's case, someone who seems like they are not making much of an effort trying to get the job may not make much of an effort trying to do the job or keep the job.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8101 posts
827 upvotes
Montreal, QC
In my experience, in a multi-interview process, the further you go, the more it becomes about "you" as a person and whether you fit with the team as opposed to whether you're qualified for the job. As someone else said, the recruiter is probably giving you a heads up based on this.

I've interviewed a few people (for junior/intermediate roles mind you) and my personal take on it is that usually as long as they're generally qualified, hard skills can be taught, but their thinking pattern, how they behave and such typically is more difficult so that's more what I look for.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)