Art and Photography

Interesting new Lytro light field camera...

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2014 2:48 pm
Tags:
None
11 replies
Feb 28, 2008
498 posts
33 upvotes
I thought the original was an interesting development in technology but a pointless device for consumers. This new one improves things to where I think it's interesting to use but only the first maybe second time around. I think they are completely going the wrong way with this technology.

I see it has having very useful and relevant applications in medical, product and architecture photography. But as a device sold marketed to general consumers...not the right direction IMO.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
I can see the use of the camera. I have missed many a shot by being a bit out of focus (for whatever reason).
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
It's a fascinating concept... I'd like to see some actual images generated from the camera though. If it could generate high quality images at high resolution, it would definitely be an interesting contender, especially considering the 30-250mm f/2 lens. But the original Lytro's image quality was about on par with a camera phone.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1413 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa, On
Here's something I don't get, why does this camera have an AF (Auto Focus?) button on the back? Don't you just take the shot and everything else is handled in post?

On a side note, the new android camera app can do this too. It uses a second picture and some fancy software stuff to do it rather than hardware like the lytro. I've hear people say they get bad results, but my test shots seem ok. http://gigaom.com/2014/04/16/googles-do ... lens-blur/

Here's my test shot:
Android lens blur demo
by da_guy2, on Flickr
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
This is a noob question.
What is the difference between this camera and a DSLR?
What advantages does a Lytro camera have that would justify its price?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1413 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa, On
gontori wrote: This is a noob question.
What is the difference between this camera and a DSLR?
What advantages does a Lytro camera have that would justify its price?
I'm not 100% sure of all the tech behind it but more or less it captures the light in a totally different way than any other camera. More or less not only does it capture which pixels are receiving light, but it can also figure out what angle the light is coming in at. This allows you to reconstruct the depth information of the picture and allows you to refocus the image in post processing.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
da_guy2 wrote: I'm not 100% sure of all the tech behind it but more or less it captures the light in a totally different way than any other camera. More or less not only does it capture which pixels are receiving light, but it can also figure out what angle the light is coming in at. This allows you to reconstruct the depth information of the picture and allows you to refocus the image in post processing.
Are there any real applications for this? Like looking at the picture taken by a Lytro and say it's better for X or Y situations than a picture taken with a regular camera?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
gontori wrote: Are there any real applications for this? Like looking at the picture taken by a Lytro and say it's better for X or Y situations than a picture taken with a regular camera?
It basically lets you just shoot so that EVERYTHING is in focus, and then you can selectively pick what's in focus later. There's nothing particularly *better* about this, really, and due to the nature of the sensor it's still not great in terms of image quality (the sensor is pretty small). It's a gimmick, at best, at the moment.
projectmoonlightcafe wrote: Shoot at f/8 and use Alienskin Bokeh?
Sure, except at f/8 you're going to need some pretty long exposure times in low light.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1218 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
Can't see it being used by many. What they show in the video is some weird people taking pictures of dolls and stuff...
It's a nice gimmicky camera to play around though. The price is too high for many amateur photographers to even consider it.

The technology behind it is very smart though and I can actually see bigger camera manufacturers integrating it into the future DSLR cameras.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
4662 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
^agreed. Once one of the big brand manufacturers buy them out, then let's talk.
Board games!!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)