PC & Video Games

Interesting shift in video game demographics, personal experience.

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2015 7:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote: It wasn't a point/click game. I believe it was Max Payne 3 ... the first hour of the game I think there was about a 10 minute sequence where you actually played, the rest was watching a "movie/story/cutscene."

I don't know if it got any better after that or not, but it's the current trend in a lot of games. This pushed it well beyond what I could tolerate.
From what I remember, Max Payne 3 got better as you went along, but my main issue with that game was that the gameplay felt like the action sequences in GTA - passable but not as tuned as other 3rd person shooters of its time. The presentation of that game was definitely annoying though because the cutscenes would emphasize various words for effect.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
Stronzo1 wrote: This is a personal experience of mine, its not a true reflection of every other 38 year old, but it gives a glimpse into the demographic of age group who play video games.

I was talking to a guy at work, he is about my age, ok maybe older. He was in his late 30s, lives at home with his mommy and daddy, he wanted to take a saturday off and I had it off, but he had to work, so he wanted to trade with me. I asked him why? apparently some new video game was being launched? i dont know because I dont really follow video games im new to them so im just getting into it. He wanted to go line up at he store? this was a while back anyways finally I caved in and told him I am willing to trade shfits. He kept telling me how much he wanted the game for his ex box or play station? I can never remember which sistem he was talking bout. So I made a simple honest comment and asked him How old are his kids, he gets mad at me, I'm like it was an honest question, I told him he mentioned video game so I assumed its for his kids, he got mad and said it was for him. I didnt wantto argue any more but seriously? the guy is like almost 40 and lining up at the store for a video game? I used to do that when I was 12 for super mario brothers. have times changed and I am not made aware of them?
I understand where you are coming from...but you were probably a "casual" gamer kid when you were young...not a "hardcore" gamer. And that is why you don't understand the situation (even though I never ever lined up to get a game in my life...I would never do that, personally. It seems silly and awkward to me...I can wait for a few days until the game is out..and if there are copies, I would get one...if not, I would wait for stock).

You see, I am older than your coworker, by a few years (I am 40 going on 41 this month)...yet I am still a gamer. I don't live with parents either, I have my own place.

But I was a very passionate gamer ever since the Atari 2600 days back in the early 80's and after that with other consoles. I considered myself back then what we called a "Game Pro" ...or what many people call now "Hardcore gamer"...but as the years went by...I turned more into a Casual gamer and more of a Collector. Why? Because life's demands as an adult takes over, you get occupied with other things (not necessarily that you want to be occupied with, but you have to attend to) and you have less time to game as much as you did when you were in School or College/University and then when you work.

I am still very passionate about Videogames and the Industry as I was when I was a kid because I love this industry...I love this form of unique entertainment...so I still game when I can...but collect games because it's like owning a part of a legacy that is growing even more. That's why even a man in my age still plays games and still loves games and the industry. But remember, I was a "hardcore" gamer growing up.....so that is why you don't get it...you seem to have been a casual or convenience gamer....or maybe you just "grew out of this hobby"....which is fine...people lose interest in many things and gain interest in other things as they age.

But, the main reason is that this coworker, like myself and others, growing up was passionate about games...so you never really grow out of loving them. I will ALWAYS be a gamer at heart...and ALWAYS love them...even into my older senior years (if I ever get to live long enough to be old).

Also, living with his parents means nothing...it's has nothing to do with this. Many people, depending on their culture, live with their parents even at older ages. It's a cultural thing...not common in NA but very common in Asia and the Middle East and Africa for example....it's normal. That doesn't mean they are not responsible adults or can't take care of themselves. So that's just stereo-typing these people and connecting it with videogames being "Juvenile" and that is why he took it the wrong way from you.

I have friends who grew up loving games and just passed on that passion to their kids who can now play games with them. How awesome is that? You get to see like a mini-version of yourself love what you did as a kid. It is very heart-warming, nostalgic, and pleasurable for Gen Y or Gen X parents to see their kids doing what they did as kids growing up. I am not a parent (yet), but I love that. I can see the bonding that forms between them when they play together...it's great.

Also, us being older gamers...the ones who witnessed the birth of videogaming as a whole...have a deeper connection because we saw it evolve from the very beginning as an industry...and that is why it's like an extension of our personalities and passions (Also, younger gamers of this generation will NEVER get that connection we have or understand it...unless they get interested in Retro Gaming as a whole). So, don't be surprised at all to find much older gamers than the usual teenage to mid-30's age range for the reasons explained above. Many people are like you and don't understand this unless it is explained (like I just did now with this post) to them...and then they "get it".
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Does his post sound like someone who's still a fan? Reads like a clear case of franchise fatigue. Relax and save your personal attacks for someone else
Don't get worked up about it...he likes to troll on people. I had a big argument with him a few times on different threads. It just shows you a person's personality and how they handle themselves around others.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote: Well, this is one of the reasons I like CoD. I can finish a match in 10 minutes!

SDF = BMR? :D I don't have the patience for Bloodborne, nor the time, and more important, nor the system.

The reason why I have them in my library to begin with is because I like them...my library is small to begin with (CoD, NBA2K15, NHL15, Ori, Never Alone, Titanfall, RBI 15, Forza Horizon 2).

I've never had the patience to spend hours and hours on one sitting...what do you recommend I play ReeGee?
It seems like you are into Sports and FPS games mostly...so switch it up with an FPS that is not based on a big franchise or is a sequel...or maybe is a sequel but does not get released very often...I suggest you play the recent Wolfenstein game for example for an FPS, try to play maybe Metal Gear Solid 4 and/or 5 (even though it's not really FPS it's more like Stealth action)...even try Grand Theft Auto 4 and/or 5...because it has missions that you can play and then turn off and then pickup the story when you play again after that. Play something like the recent remake of RESIDENT EVIL 1...it's Survival Horror adventure and action if you like that kind of thing.

To keep interest try to play things you don't usually think might interest you...but you might get to like a few of them once you get to play them and get into them and their stories.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote: My wife and I enjoyed playing Heavy Rain on the PS3!
Then I suggest you play "Beyond Two Souls", its from the same people who made "Heavy Rain" and plays the same way mostly...i.e. same style.

And if you like Adventure games or have not gotten into them, as mentioned above, try to play a game like "The Walking Dead" Season 1 and 2. It's incredibly immerisve with its gameplay, decision making and storyline...and you WILL get emotional.

Talking about emotions...if you never played "The Last of Us", that is a must play for you. It's THAT good and you will be emotionally interested in the story and characters...besides the A-Quality gameplay.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10104 posts
12725 upvotes
Toronto
Scorpionsy wrote: It seems like you are into Sports and FPS games mostly...so switch it up with an FPS that is not based on a big franchise or is a sequel...or maybe is a sequel but does not get released very often...I suggest you play the recent Wolfenstein game for example for an FPS, try to play maybe Metal Gear Solid 4 and/or 5 (even though it's not really FPS it's more like Stealth action)...even try Grand Theft Auto 4 and/or 5...because it has missions that you can play and then turn off and then pickup the story when you play again after that. Play something like the recent remake of RESIDENT EVIL 1...it's Survival Horror adventure and action if you like that kind of thing.

To keep interest try to play things you don't usually think might interest you...but you might get to like a few of them once you get to play them and get into them and their stories.
Thanks for the suggestions...I was interested in Wolfenstein but never got around to picking it up (wish I did when it was on sale for $20)...I didn't like the Splinter Cell series, so I figure I won't like MGS. I don't do well with sand-box games...too many things to do...need some linearity. :D

I wasn't ranting about the games I have not holding interest, it was more about life priorities changing and losing interest in gaming in general.
Scorpionsy wrote: Then I suggest you play "Beyond Two Souls", its from the same people who made "Heavy Rain" and plays the same way mostly...i.e. same style.

And if you like Adventure games or have not gotten into them, as mentioned above, try to play a game like "The Walking Dead" Season 1 and 2. It's incredibly immerisve with its gameplay, decision making and storyline...and you WILL get emotional.

Talking about emotions...if you never played "The Last of Us", that is a must play for you. It's THAT good and you will be emotionally interested in the story and characters...besides the A-Quality gameplay.
I played The Walking Dead on the 360 and enjoyed it, but didn't bother to get the newer episodes.

I would have liked to play Beyond Two Souls, but I sold my PS3 years ago...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6906 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
Scorpionsy wrote: It seems like you are into Sports and FPS games mostly...so switch it up with an FPS that is not based on a big franchise or is a sequel...
99% of my gaming is COD, BF, Destiny, etc ... I downloaded Neverwinter on the Xbox 1 and found it quite refreshing to play something different for a while. In fact, quite addicting to the point where it's my go to game for the last week or so. Haven't so much as had one match of Hardline.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
So to fellow older gamers, question: What gaming-related media do you guys follow?

I was a huge fan of Joystiq until it went under, but Polygon is pretty good. I also started listening to Rebel FM Podcast, which has some entertaining and insightful commentary.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6906 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
Don't really ... I just watch these forums and Gamefaqs.