Shopping Discussion

Interesting situation with my recent purchase @ futureshop....

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2010 6:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
6096 posts
2132 upvotes
Moncton, NB

Interesting situation with my recent purchase @ futureshop....

Quick story... Bought a TV with free home theater. Got a better TV than advertised because of an error..... But still got it...

Anyway....

I was suposed to get a free Home Theather valued at 499$.... They didn't have it at the time and couldn't order any... so he said he would try everyday to order one and let me know when it's in.

So for this I paid for everything (Even bought the Warranty on the TV + Bell HD Receiver.) And he gave me a receipt that say "Layaway Deposit" for an ammount of 564.99$ and he told me when the Home theater comes in to bring the receipt for proof or purchase.

about 20 days after.... still no call.. I called a couple times and was told they had some but were all reserved (hmm ok..) So anyway last week my wife and I went to FS to do a price adjustment with giftcards on the TV and all...

While at customer service I asked if he could check the system for the Home Theater. He said they had 1 so he called the Electronic Dept and they tried to find it and couldn't find it. Anyway he said that since this was on a Layaway deposit he could give me a gift card for the full ammount if I wanted to get something else. Then he said "Oh wait, this is a package deal.... but if they do not have any I don't see why I cannot give you a gift card...." so he called the Electronic Dept again and told me to go see them to see what they could do.

When I got there I asked him if they could order the home theater or check the status of mine that I was suposed to get. When he checked the system he said it was weird because they received some during the holiday but all sold out because they were selling at 219$... I asked the reason why no one called me to let me know and he said he didn't know. (This rep was super nice)

then he offered me a very nice samsung Home theater receiver + speakers + blu-ray for 30$ more and he said I would only have to pay the difference. He said that "Technically" I could get anything I wanted for the 565$ Deposit. Even if I told him it was a home theather that I was suposed to get free.

I told him I wasn't too much into home theaters so I would rather wait for the one that came with the TV. He tried to order the home theater and since it was 219$ I asked if I could put something else and he said "sure" (He really didn't care at all what I was getting) so I took a PS3 and paid the difference.

Now here's the fun part... I just got a call from the original rep that sold me the TV to tell me he received the one he ordered. Then he asked me if I already picked it up because it showed my deposit was now a balance of 0. I told him we went last week and told him the full story. He said that I wasn't suposed to get all that because it was a free promotional Item and that I was double dipping the deals and the sales rep wasn't suposed to sell me both item since it's a promotion. Also even if he ordered it he should have charged me the full ammount (499$) on the home theater.

I told him that this started when I asked to check stock at the service desk. And then they went on with selling me something else.

Now I'm suposed to get this home theater that the new guy ordered but on the phone he said (old rep) he will have to check with his manager to see if I can have both... He said if not I will have to return the PS3 to get my home theater.

I have a receipt in my hand with both the PS3 and Home Theater and a date in big letters that say "DELIVERY TO STORE SCHEDULED: 12 JAN 2010" that also show me paying the extra missing and the deposit....

So is it my fault that he didn't charge me when I first purchased the bundle for the home theater so when it was in I would have just shown my receipt? They put it on a layaway deposit like I would have paid for it....

Who's at fault? They are the one that put it like that. I know I took advantage that since it was on sale I still had like 350$ to spend. But the rep offered it... And should I be entitled to both the items?
60 replies
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23869 posts
3414 upvotes
You took advantage of a mistake by the 2nd rep. Obviously the way it was written on your receipt made them believe you were entitled to something you weren't. I don't blame you for taking advantage of the mistake, I would have too.

But now that they caught on, you can't really fight them on this and demand more than you are entitled. You pulled a fast one on them, and they eventually caught on. You should do the right thing. You wouldn't appreciate it if you made a mistake and gave FS more money than they were entitled, then once you caught on they fought you tooth and nail on the matter.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
6096 posts
2132 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Shaner wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 1:48 pm
You took advantage of a mistake by the 2nd rep. Obviously the way it was written on your receipt made them believe you were entitled to something you weren't. I don't blame you for taking advantage of the mistake, I would have too.

But now that they caught on, you can't really fight them on this and demand more than you are entitled. You pulled a fast one on them, and they eventually caught on. You should do the right thing. You wouldn't appreciate it if you made a mistake and gave FS more money than they were entitled, then once you caught on they fought you tooth and nail on the matter.
It's like I mentionned. When I was at customer service and I asked for stock on the home theater and after there was none and he offered a giftcard he said "Oh wait, this is a package deal so.... but if they do not have any I don't see why I cannot give you a gift card...."

They wanted to offer me a gift card but I didn't want to because I didn't want to have to carry around 500+ gift card. So he sent me to the Home Theater to talk to them. And he's the one that offered me "anything" I wanted... I told him at first that I wasn't sure what to do and I actualy returned 2 days later to talk to the same guy and he asked me if I had made up my mind of the home theater that he offered me, or if I wanted something else...

Now they are calling that they made a mistake and I have to return everything.... All my excitement.... down the drain ...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 26, 2005
9554 posts
1567 upvotes
Toronto
nounou23 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 1:55 pm

I told him at first that I wasn't sure what to do and I actualy returned 2 days later to talk to the same guy and he asked me if I had made up my mind of the home theater that he offered me, or if I wanted something else...

Now they are calling that they made a mistake and I have to return everything.... All my excitement.... down the drain ...
Such is life. Live and learn. There is always a solution to everything, the first one usually is the best one. You should have told him what you wanted right then and there, before they had an oppourtunity to change their minds.

You missed it. So, yes, there is a 2nd solution, but it will be a harder one/path.


So, live and learn. Doing things right, the first time is 99% always the best way.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 29, 2007
1064 posts
381 upvotes
nounou23 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 1:55 pm
It's like I mentionned. When I was at customer service and I asked for stock on the home theater and after there was none and he offered a giftcard he said "Oh wait, this is a package deal so.... but if they do not have any I don't see why I cannot give you a gift card...."

They wanted to offer me a gift card but I didn't want to because I didn't want to have to carry around 500+ gift card. So he sent me to the Home Theater to talk to them. And he's the one that offered me "anything" I wanted... I told him at first that I wasn't sure what to do and I actualy returned 2 days later to talk to the same guy and he asked me if I had made up my mind of the home theater that he offered me, or if I wanted something else...

Now they are calling that they made a mistake and I have to return everything.... All my excitement.... down the drain ...
So they called and told you to bring everything back so they could fix it? I would never do such a thing, especially if it's all paid for and done. There is no way they are going to pursue you further if you keep all of this...it's their mistake after all!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
6096 posts
2132 upvotes
Moncton, NB
richardvoyageur wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 2:28 pm
So they called and told you to bring everything back so they could fix it? I would never do such a thing, especially if it's all paid for and done. There is no way they are going to pursue you further if you keep all of this...it's their mistake after all!
At first I thought the home theater was paid and everything since it was included in the original package but at customer service they told me the paper I had "Layaway Deposit" was like I would have put 564$ deposit on the home theater so when it would come in they would just take the money out of that account. It wasn't meant to be used on the home theater it was just a quick way of purchasing the product when it arrived. So that is why they told me that "Technically" I could get whatever I wanted....

But now it's not the same story. They are supposed to call me back tonight about it. The sales rep last week actually "BOUGHT" the stuff with that credit and actually ordered it in the system. The other guy said he would call me when some would be in stock.. So IMO the second rep I talked to did the job right and actually applied the ammount to the product....

I'm still waiting for the call. I have the PS3 at home but not the home theater and he said that there was a chance I wouldn't get it.... well if it's on the receipt I don't see why not....
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23869 posts
3414 upvotes
nounou23 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 4:32 pm
I'm still waiting for the call. I have the PS3 at home but not the home theater and he said that there was a chance I wouldn't get it.... well if it's on the receipt I don't see why not....
Come on man, you know why not. You're being an unreasonable customer. The home theater was a promotional item that you received for free, with the purchase of a TV. Now you expect to get the home theater and a PS3.

You didn't pay for the home theater, at least not directly, so you're not entitled to the value of that item. You are only entitled to that item.

The 2nd rep made a mistake obviously.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
6096 posts
2132 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Shaner wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 4:52 pm
Come on man, you know why not. You're being an unreasonable customer. The home theater was a promotional item that you received for free, with the purchase of a TV. Now you expect to get the home theater and a PS3.

You didn't pay for the home theater, at least not directly, so you're not entitled to the value of that item. You are only entitled to that item.

The 2nd rep made a mistake obviously.
You mean 2 reps? (Customer service + Electronic)... I didn't want to get more than I expected but when I was there I was offered to get something else since the HT wasn't in stock in store. I still told him that I wanted to HT and since it was on sale he said that I could get the rest of the value.

Now the way I see it I was getting a value of 500+ of the home theater system. Now I think if there was no chances that I would ever get I would have probably been given something else of a similar value... Well the HT + PS3 = same value and I paid the difference...

I'm kinda confused with all this. I went in store and got offered something else. I told him I would wait and come back in 2 days in case they would have the HT. I came back since there was no way to call them and talked to the same rep and he offered the same thing. He could have told me "no sorry I made a mistake".... I dunno.. I feel bad for this now but when I think of it I didn't question it more because it's not like I asked for a 2000$ item. It's the same value...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
855 upvotes
nounou23 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 4:57 pm
I'm kinda confused with all this. I went in store and got offered something else. I told him I would wait and come back in 2 days in case they would have the HT. I came back since there was no way to call them and talked to the same rep and he offered the same thing. He could have told me "no sorry I made a mistake".... I dunno.. I feel bad for this now but when I think of it I didn't question it more because it's not like I asked for a 2000$ item. It's the same value...
Actually the value of the HT, when you bought the package, was 499.99 (+ tax) and that value is still true. The first rep calls you out for double dipping because you got the deal for the free HT (valued @ 499.99) and a deal for the HT on sale (219.99) with the difference applied to a PS3. Basically you're only entitled to the HT not a 499.99 value. These values are always inflated by FS and i'm sure you already knew that. If they gave you that much credit for it, it quite possibly makes their sale a loss... thats why they want you to return everything.

In the end, it is FS's mistake but its one they want to correct. They should offer you something for all your trouble (if they haven't already) but they'll make sure you need to return everything to make things right in their books. If you don't, don't be surprised to see the PSP (warranty) you bought becoming void for them to make up the difference (not that the warranty is all that useful in the first place...). ;) Basically you got too greedy and tried to get a PS3 + HT instead of what you were offered (an upgraded HT system), which i'm sure they wouldn't care about right now (as the markup on HT are much much higher than a PS3).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 7, 2007
6217 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The first mistake was that the original rep used "layaway deposit" on the receipt. This basically implies that indeed OP has put 500+ dollars as deposit on the HT. Not sure why the he did that, since I assume he didn't get commission as it's not a sell. I would think a "raincheck" is be more appropriate for this case.

The second mistake was that rep at customer service that didn't refer you back to the original rep. Usually for package deals you should be dealing with the person that sold you the package. I guess the rep wasn't in that day so the CSR thought he could just point you to anyone to get you out of their hair.

The third mistake was the 2nd rep that decided to steal the sell from the first guy. Knowing nothing regarding the original deal, he assume he could just take your 500 dollar deposit and sells you something else. OP obviously played dumb and didn't disclose the nature of the previous transaction.

The fourth mistake was that OP thought everything is kosher despite the errors already made. I do agree that technically (and probably legally) OP hasn't done anything wrong. But c'mon, it's not exactly honest.

I would say the right thing to do is to return the PS3 and just get the HT as per the original deal, perhaps a small incentive for all the waiting.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
23869 posts
3414 upvotes
Like I already said, the way it was written on the receipt gave the reps the impression that you paid in full for the HT, which isn't the case. That's why they offered you the value for that item. They made a mistake and you benefited from it, but now they have caught on to their mistake and they're asking you to come in so they can fix it. You almost got away with it but they caught on in the end. Do the right thing, return the PS3 and collect your HT.

If you don't return the PS3 they aren't going to give you the HT.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
6096 posts
2132 upvotes
Moncton, NB
number8888 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2010 5:22 pm
The first mistake was that the original rep used "layaway deposit" on the receipt. This basically implies that indeed OP has put 500+ dollars as deposit on the HT. Not sure why the he did that, since I assume he didn't get commission as it's not a sell. I would think a "raincheck" is be more appropriate for this case.

The second mistake was that rep at customer service that didn't refer you back to the original rep. Usually for package deals you should be dealing with the person that sold you the package. I guess the rep wasn't in that day so the CSR thought he could just point you to anyone to get you out of their hair.

The third mistake was the 2nd rep that decided to steal the sell from the first guy. Knowing nothing regarding the original deal, he assume he could just take your 500 dollar deposit and sells you something else. OP obviously played dumb and didn't disclose the nature of the previous transaction.

The fourth mistake was that OP thought everything is kosher despite the errors already made. I do agree that technically (and probably legally) OP hasn't done anything wrong. But c'mon, it's not exactly honest.

I would say the right thing to do is to return the PS3 and just get the HT as per the original deal, perhaps a small incentive for all the waiting.
Im thinking of returning the PS3. The thing also about all this is that I had all the receipt / Warranty / Package deal / everything stapled together. And when I went to customer service he's the one that refered me to the Electronic department. Even the name of the guy that some me everthing is written on top of the warranty with all the paperwork and other receipts. and I even told them it was a package deal that I got like 20 days ago and was still waiting for a call for the home theater.

I'm already very happy about the original deal that I got and my first trip back wasn't to get something else than what I was supposed to get. I think you are right that the 2nd rep was trying to get a sale.

Also when I talked to the orignial rep this morning he asked me why I didn't go see him last week. Well guess what I walked around for like 15 min to find someone and when I found someone and told him I was looking for the HT he said he was the one that had just talked to customer service about the 1 in stock that was showing. and I told him I had been dealing with "1 rep name" and he even saw it on the paperwork... but he's the one that offered me the other one. He even said if I wanted to go with something smaller that I could have walked away with the sony HT that was for like 229$ but he said it was a POS.

But it's when you tell them "Are you sure?" and he replied "Why not?"... and you come back 2 days later since they don't answer phones for a week and they give you the same answer....

anyway still no call from them.
Member
Jul 31, 2009
202 posts
5 upvotes
thats really nice you got smth you was not suppose to,i would take advanrage too....but not with futureshop... they are like sharks,will proove in 5 min that was mistake
you just had to tell them it was fake deposit, thats it
the best of course, like someone mention, is for them to refer to same rep who make a deal originally
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 20, 2003
6096 posts
2132 upvotes
Moncton, NB
It's funny how store think that putting an ad "Buy this get this free" makes people think they are loosing money. I'm sure they make more money...

I almost bought a car because they offered a free snow blower with it... but after a bit a research they had jaked up the price in hidden cost to like 1500$....

I'm sure most store does the same thing...
Jr. Member
Jul 14, 2008
102 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
You are not at fault, It is the Sales rep. and further more it is all commission game, the first sales rep is losing his commision so he wants you to return, the 2nd one made commision so he sold you ps3.

If you go in the kenedy store and ask for the manager, some sales rep will pose as manager to calm angree customer. The real manager will not be available. I had this problem when trying to get my laptop on extended warranty fixed. They will sell all no questions asked type extended warranty, but if you claim the warranty, then they will try to evade you.

Go man enjoy your ps3, just make sure that you change yor credit card on the safe side. in the end you are suffering even if you return the ps. (your follow up and extra trip to go ack and return). the sales rep is calling you because the price has dropped and he cant sell it. he will make more commision on the credit given to you.

Regarding the return of ps, he dam cares because that is 2nd sales person.

Gang of wolfs who eat the weakest of their gang when no food = future shop sales reps gang

Top