Shopping Discussion

Interesting situation with my recent purchase @ futureshop....

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2010 6:35 pm
Tags:
Oct 7, 2003
308 posts
51 upvotes
It's not your fault and I wouldn't return it.

Your original salesman is just in it for the money/commission. His promise to you was to "search every day to try to obtain the HT package for you" but as you found out, there were some that came in during the holidays so why didnt he contact you? Seems to me he sold it to other people instead at the lower price in order to make more sales/commission. In that case, I'd rather just give my sale to someone else
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4335 posts
163 upvotes
Like others have said, the second rep made a mistake. FS hires seasonal staff and they don't know everything they should.

You're not entitled to anything above what you originally paid for. The $499 value on the original receipt is just what they put on there to make it seem like you got a great deal, the real price is somewhere around the $219 mark. If you had taken the gift card you would have gotten a steal of a deal, but you missed out.

Now you can either have the HT or the PS3, take your pick, but you shouldn't get both, and you know it.

People get all pissed off when they think stores screw them over, but don't think twice about screwing the store over.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
210 upvotes
Surrey
nounou23 wrote: Now they are calling that they made a mistake and I have to return everything.... All my excitement.... down the drain ...
The excitement comes from knowing you got more than you paid for. The 'Layaway Deposit' was clearly misunderstood by the second rep, and why you thought you could get a PS3 in addition to the other items is beyond me.

An error was made and you don't seem to have done too much to correct it. The error has now been discovered and you're now well on your way to getting exactly what you paid for....which according to your first post was more than advertised in the first place.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28532 posts
1247 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
I'm sure OP realizes the little predicament he fortuitously found himself in (she?). On the surface, it definately does seem like OP should keep the PS3 and get the HT as done by the last rep...The right thing however, is to return it, get what was originally promised, AS WELL AS A SIGNIFICANT act of good PR for this delicious fiasco.

I doubt they'll give any compensation equal to the poor handling and messy experience they've exposed OP to.
nounou23 wrote: ... almost bought a car because they offered a free snow blower with it... but after a bit a research they had jaked up the price in hidden cost to like 1500$....
HOWA!! That must've been an awesome Snowblower :lol:
Sw0op wrote: ...His promise to you was to "search every day to try to obtain the HT package for you" but as you found out, there were some that came in during the holidays so why didnt he contact you?...
This is the part that stings.
PayTM - $154
PC OPT: $4574 Ebates: $68.42
100%+ BST, Heatware Est. 2005, Marketplace eCommerce & Kijiji 5-Star
FS/WTT Wolverine/LOWA/Quality & Vintage footwear Sz 3D-13D
~
FS Boots (CF - RCMP) & Curb Stompers, Allen Edmonds
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6288 posts
2512 upvotes
Moncton, NB
pompoco wrote: $$99 xbox360
Lol yeah.... I wish...

Like I mention in previous post. They all knew it was part of a package. The 2nd rep told me if I wanted to take the Sony HT + something else (because the sony HT was 229$). He said I could be out of the door with something. I'm not sure if he felt bad because they sold all the other HT before I got there and they never contacted me.

But he told me that sony was a POS that's why I asked if I could get the one I was suposed to get and when he ordered the HT it was scanning at 219$.

I could have gone all out and bought 565$ worth of small stuff like DVD and Games. Go crazy. But I just took wathever the value of the main item was because he told me.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2363 posts
331 upvotes
I don't agree with most of these posts.

What should have happened if the free HT never came back in stock? Even if the HT was free, he should still be entitled to something of equivalent value since that free HT might have been what enticed him to buy the TV in the first place. And if the rep put an inflated $500+ value on the receipt, how is that the OPs fault?

I don't think he's done anything wrong, nor do I think he should have to return the PS3. Basically FS tried to scam him (indicating the HT was more expensive than it really was, to make him think he was getting a better deal than he really was), and it blew up in their face.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3392 posts
36 upvotes
Milton
Sw0op wrote: It's not your fault and I wouldn't return it.

Your original salesman is just in it for the money/commission. His promise to you was to "search every day to try to obtain the HT package for you" but as you found out, there were some that came in during the holidays so why didnt he contact you? Seems to me he sold it to other people instead at the lower price in order to make more sales/commission. In that case, I'd rather just give my sale to someone else
Good points here.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6288 posts
2512 upvotes
Moncton, NB
GSRee wrote: I don't agree with most of these posts.

What should have happened if the free HT never came back in stock? Even if the HT was free, he should still be entitled to something of equivalent value since that free HT might have been what enticed him to buy the TV in the first place. And if the rep put an inflated $500+ value on the receipt, how is that the OPs fault?

I don't think he's done anything wrong, nor do I think he should have to return the PS3. Basically FS tried to scam him (indicating the HT was more expensive than it really was, to make him think he was getting a better deal than he really was), and it blew up in their face.
I kinda see it like that too.

They didn't have the HT in stock and he told me he would call. I haven't received any calls until yesterday that he had received one. At first he said he couldn't order any so when one would come in he would call me so I would pick it up.

He never called so I called for updates and to my suprise there was some in stock but they were all "Sold" or "Reserved" to other people. And even last week when the other rep check he said they had received some but where all sold during that week for boxing week sale.

I'm not sure if the 1rst rep put the value of the HT on a Layaway deposit so when I would actually get it it would have given him more "credit" on a sale... I really don't know how they work... but I'm kinda getting tired of being the one that need to call the store everytime I want to know something... Like he said he would call me back yesterday evening and so far nothing.... I'm not going to call and wait on the line. I called him 3 times yesterday at my lunch time and after 2 min of talking he would say "I'm with a customer call me back".... Until the last time he said I'll call you back tonight...
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1086 posts
485 upvotes
GSRee wrote: I don't agree with most of these posts.

I do agree with you on this. If their listed price was $500 and they didn't have any in stock, I think he should be entitled to that value. Picking up a cheaper HT + PS3 is fine. Time is money in this world too though, and I know I wouldn't be returning anything personally. Mistakes always cost money or aggravation. FS messed up and it should cost them, not the OP. To further inconvenience the customer in this case is wrong if you ask me, they shouldn't be asking him to return anything in my opinion.
May 2, 2008
188 posts
15 upvotes
nounou23 wrote: I kinda see it like that too.

They didn't have the HT in stock and he told me he would call. I haven't received any calls until yesterday that he had received one. At first he said he couldn't order any so when one would come in he would call me so I would pick it up.

He never called so I called for updates and to my suprise there was some in stock but they were all "Sold" or "Reserved" to other people. And even last week when the other rep check he said they had received some but where all sold during that week for boxing week sale.

I'm not sure if the 1rst rep put the value of the HT on a Layaway deposit so when I would actually get it it would have given him more "credit" on a sale... I really don't know how they work... but I'm kinda getting tired of being the one that need to call the store everytime I want to know something... Like he said he would call me back yesterday evening and so far nothing.... I'm not going to call and wait on the line. I called him 3 times yesterday at my lunch time and after 2 min of talking he would say "I'm with a customer call me back".... Until the last time he said I'll call you back tonight...
Not worth the headache. Screw the first sales rep and just keep everything. You've waited patiently and tried to work something out with the original sales rep but he obviously doesn't care enough to keep you updated or at least try to call you back. Their mistake not yours, so I don't see why you would need to go through all this trouble to return it.
Aug 4, 2005
789 posts
8 upvotes
Stouffville
I too think you should keep both the PS3 and the HT. future Shop promised you a free home theatre valued at $499. They knew that it really wasn't worth that, but advertised it anyway to lure people to buy the package.

Before they delivered the HT to you, its value dropped to $219. So now you are entitled to the HT and ~$300 worth of other product. It isn't your fault the value of the HT dropped - FS is the one playing games with their pricing, this is the consequences they will have to face.

Besides, we all know the salesman never checked whether the item was in stock for for. And knew when he sold it to you that he never would. He just said whatever it took to separate you from your money and then move on to the next customer. They did the same thing to me years ago - gave me a floor model temporarily and told me I could exchange it for a new one (which is what I paid for) when more stock came in. Never called of course, even as the stock came and went.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6288 posts
2512 upvotes
Moncton, NB
ratface wrote: I too think you should keep both the PS3 and the HT. future Shop promised you a free home theatre valued at $499. They knew that it really wasn't worth that, but advertised it anyway to lure people to buy the package.

Before they delivered the HT to you, its value dropped to $219. So now you are entitled to the HT and ~$300 worth of other product. It isn't your fault the value of the HT dropped - FS is the one playing games with their pricing, this is the consequences they will have to face.

Besides, we all know the salesman never checked whether the item was in stock for for. And knew when he sold it to you that he never would. He just said whatever it took to separate you from your money and then move on to the next customer. They did the same thing to me years ago - gave me a floor model temporarily and told me I could exchange it for a new one (which is what I paid for) when more stock came in. Never called of course, even as the stock came and went.

Wow. I actually thought they would give me a floor model at some point since they couldn't order any when I purchased it but instead he told me he would look for one.

I think the HT is back to the original price... actually it's 30$ less than it was before.

Still no call from them...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1377 posts
234 upvotes
ratface wrote: I too think you should keep both the PS3 and the HT. future Shop promised you a free home theatre valued at $499. They knew that it really wasn't worth that, but advertised it anyway to lure people to buy the package.

Before they delivered the HT to you, its value dropped to $219. So now you are entitled to the HT and ~$300 worth of other product. It isn't your fault the value of the HT dropped - FS is the one playing games with their pricing, this is the consequences they will have to face.t.
I disagree. The advertised bonus was a HT system. That's what you should be entitled to get. It doesn't matter if it cost $499 or $219 or $1. Sure, they advertised a $499 value that is possible (likely) inflated. Stores do that all the time. Do you really believe those informercials are giving you $300 worth of stuff for two easy payments of $19.99?

It's also not as simple as FS ponying up the difference. Maybe the bundle deal was provided by the manufacturer? Maybe there was some kind of rebate/redemption process that FS goes through to still make a profit on the sale. When you buy a printer with a $20 mail-in rebate, they're very specific about asking you for the correct UPC code to mail in. You can't buy a different printer and expect to get the same rebate. Maybe it's the same when FS does the paperwork.

Try this: next time you see a bundle deal advertised ($200 value!) ask if you can forego the bundle and just get $200 off the base price. Or get $200 worth of other goods instead. Do you think they'll let you do that? Of course not. (Well -- maybe -- but that's as a result of haggling, not standard practice.)

Having said all that, if I was in the OP's shoes, I would have taken the $500 gift card and ran! That would have been a heck of a deal. Always take the cash if you are given that choice! $500 cash is always going to be worth more than "$500 worth of stuff".

As it stands, I *hope* that FS will see fit to give him both the HT and the PS3. Do play the value card, as $219+$299 is roughly the same as the $499 value. As I've said, it's not really that simple, and it doesn't really work that way, but the OP can play dumb :D and maybe they'll allow it as a token gesture for all the trouble and confusion that's been caused. But I don't feel the OP is "entitled" to such, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they insist on only providing the original HT as per the original bundle deal.

Last year I was at FS to buy a BD player and the going deal was "buy this player, get these 5 movies for free". They were out of stock on the advertised movie bundle so the salesguy I spoke to told me I could pick out any 5 free BD movies of my choice (of equal price tag value to the 5 free titles advertised in the flyer). I spent half an hour picking out movies, only to be told, when it was time to ring it in, that his manager wouldn't allow it. The salesguy had assumed that "a movie is a movie" but the manager explained that the 5 free titles were a special promotion provided by the manufacturer, therefore they couldn't substitute titles from their own stock.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19097 posts
1575 upvotes
nounou23 wrote: It's like I mentionned. When I was at customer service and I asked for stock on the home theater and after there was none and he offered a giftcard he said "Oh wait, this is a package deal so.... but if they do not have any I don't see why I cannot give you a gift card...."

They wanted to offer me a gift card but I didn't want to because I didn't want to have to carry around 500+ gift card.
I can't believe you did not take this gift card and run for the hills. Heck if you didn't want it you could EASILY sell it to anyone for $400+ in cash.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings