Home & Garden

Interlock Walkway (130 SQFT) -- $5000 quote reasonable?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 3:18 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
495 posts
68 upvotes
Guelph, ON

Interlock Walkway (130 SQFT) -- $5000 quote reasonable?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of getting quotes for a small 130 SQFT interlock walkway for my house as well as a new 7 to 8' step. I've attached a drawing of what I'm looking for.

House Walkway v1.jpg

I've received two quotes so far, both for $5000 (which seems higher than I was expecting).

Quote #1 -- $5000:
  • Very reputable company in my city
  • Didn't provide any specs or drawings

Quote #2 -- $5000:
  • Very reputable company in my city
  • Techno Bloc Blu 60MM Slate Collection Slab (Chestnut Brown)
  • Natural stone step (7 feet in 7" rise)
  • 6" HBP Base
  • Plastic Edger
  • Fabric Cloth
  • Polymeric Sand
  • Border 6" x 13"
  • Remove concrete and two ornamental trees
  • Quote Number 2 -- Drawing.png

Do these quotes seem reasonable?
16 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10521 posts
1638 upvotes
Toronto
Would help if you gave location.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6128 posts
2687 upvotes
Paris
I did my front walk a little longer than this and all quotes were very high. A friend ended up doing it for less with me providing tools and doing some of the work.

The concrete minimums alone were WAY more than I expected. Even with my friend.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5977 posts
1624 upvotes
Whitby
5k is quite reasonable, breaking up the slab, removing it would be $750. Leaves about $33 sq ft for materials/install.....the natural stone step cost/install is going to take a chunk out of that bring down the per sq ft cost further.
My son works in hardscaping as a summer job-5k for that project is a good price from a reputable company. You would have to get a guy in the industry doing it as a sideline job to get lower-or a tier 2 guy off kijiji who always wanted to try his hand at pavers install.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1318 posts
429 upvotes
London
Does this include some type of warranty? Just asking because my neighbour just had their driveway reset after it went all wonky in about six months. It didn’t cost them anything. Maybe it cost the builder (?) since it was a new build and settling probably had something to do with the issues.

How much would concrete cost to do?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4040 posts
1561 upvotes
Mississauga
Not unreasonable at all. Doing interlock correctly is very labour intensive. That’s what’s eating up a good chunk of the cost.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2066 posts
1402 upvotes
SW Ontario
^^^ Key word is doing it correctly ^^^^

If it was me, I'd skip the interlocking and have someone redo poured textured concrete ... just too many hassles with interlocking that I've seen.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
495 posts
68 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Thanks everyone!

I guess my initial expectation was based on a price per SQFT, but not considering the cost of demolition or the step. If the demolition is $750 and the natural stone step is about $1000 (for the step and install) then the actual price per SQFT for the interlock work and materials is:

($5000 - $1000 - $750) / 130
= $3250 / 130
= $25

That certainly makes it seem much more reasonable :)
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4179 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, I'd remove the bush and call it a day.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6604 posts
3760 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If you must do anything, just have it covered with rubber safety surface. It is very versatile, comes in many colours, durable, withstands freezing cold and blistering heat. Many times cheaper than the concrete work you were quoted.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8790 posts
6210 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
at1212b wrote:
Jun 11th, 2019 11:23 pm
Would help if you gave location.
This

It’s definitely becoming a pet peeve of mine
ESPECIALLY in the HOME & GARDEN FORUM
Considering how large this country is
(NEWS FLASH - RFD is Canadawide ... not just a GTA Website)

Prices can vary greatly depending on WHERE you live
By Province, by region, by city or town

OP... do yourself & us all a favour
Update your RFD Profile to show a location
(Ya know, so it’ll look like the others replying here ...
Toronto - Paris - Whitby - London - Mississauga - Toronto - Ottawa - and mine ... Eastern Ontario)

But ya, where I live
$ 5000 would sound about right
Considering it’s not just laying interlock
Interlock alone here, about $ 3000 for a job that size
Of course, YMMV if you live in the GTA where everything costs more
[OP]
Aug 22, 2009
495 posts
68 upvotes
Guelph, ON
My apologies for omitting the location -- the pet peeves are noted and my profile is updated :) I'm located in Guelph, ON. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6633 posts
5565 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Pretty reasonable.. These are the kinds of things homeowners think no big deal, should be $2000 and done...but it’s hard labour in the middle of summer. Materials to make the walkway can be expensive and disposal fees. Still you may want to get one or two more quotes just to be satisfied.

Plus there’s a value add to the appearance of the house once complete vs some builders grade concrete steps and basic slabs.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8039 posts
512 upvotes
wow, it is almost $40/sq ft !!!

I think you can find lot of contractors willing to do it for $10-15 per sq ft. I know it depends on the stones, but this job cost is mostly labor. It shouldn't cost 3 times difference in price. I guess maybe your job is too small, some contractors will charge you minimum.
Jan 2, 2019
42 posts
54 upvotes
I would demo the concrete myself and get it done by a contractor for $2500-$3000 all materials in.