Off Topic Archive

Locked: International student accused of slitting classmate's throat in her dorm room after misunderstanding Koran

[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2013
1201 posts
653 upvotes
Ottawa

International student accused of slitting classmate's throat in her dorm room after misunderstanding Koran

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4350914

I really hope the victim can move on from this brazen attack and also hope that the young man gets the help he needs. Please remember to "not take things out of context" and understand that he is innocent until proven guilty.
The man charged with attempted murder in an attack at UBC last year admitted that he tried to kill the victim, but added that he didn't know what he was doing during the incident.

"I tried to kill her," Thamer Hameed Almestadi admitted in a videotaped interview with RCMP Sgt. Kevin Jeffrey.

"I was not aware of what I was doing at the time," he added.

Almestadi has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon in the 2016 attack that left Mary Hare with serious injuries, including a five-inch-long cut to her throat.

In the hours-long interview that was played in court during day two of Almestadi's trial, the UBC student was at times crying and remorseful, asking the officer if the victim was going to survive.
When asked by Sgt. Jeffrey why he might have attacked Mary Hare with a knife Almestadi said, "I started listening to the Koran and understanding the meanings differently."

"If you read something and your mind is thinking something else, you understand differently."

Almestadi — who was 18 at the time of the incident — said he even began seeing things that weren't real.

"At that point I thought Mary was the devil," he said.

He told the officer he had confided in his mother about the thoughts he was having in the weeks leading up to the attack and had also visited a hospital to see a doctor.

Mary Hare, 20, testified Tuesday that she had only met Almestadi once briefly before the attack in her dorm room.

"I fought him off. I did everything I could have done. I don't have any regrets about what I did ... I know that I was as strong as I could have been," she said in court.
Last edited by iflyplanes on Oct 19th, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Share:
125 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3864 posts
512 upvotes
all the "misunderstandings" after reading "perfect book" ... Winking Face
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14482 posts
1659 upvotes
Toronto
Another murderous coward trying the insanity defense. Despicable.

He's no different from this guy: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4yw4o.html

They should both fry.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4256 posts
452 upvotes
Calgary
It's the Mad Mahdi. Or the Almost Mahdi Almestadi

Last edited by Cough on Oct 19th, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2013
1201 posts
653 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 1:23 pm
Another murderous coward trying the insanity defense. Despicable.

He's no different from this guy: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4yw4o.html

They should both fry.
I'm very curious about the results of the psychiatric assessment. While I completely support the rehabilitation of mentally ill criminals, it seems that it is becoming a go-to excuse lately. I can't put a word on it, but it almost seems like there are other factors in play in this situation. Hmmm.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1744 posts
730 upvotes
Hamilton
Sounds like par for the course with this religion.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1554 posts
204 upvotes
Markham
Oh lovely, Don’t tell me, Allah made him do it. Find him guilty and he will appeal on the grounds Canada is not allowing him to practice his religion.
Either that or his lame schizophrenic defense will stick.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2013
1201 posts
653 upvotes
Ottawa
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 1:35 pm
Sounds like par for the course with this religion.
PCUSER wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 1:36 pm
Oh lovely, Don’t tell me, Allah made him do it. Find him guilty and he will appeal on the grounds Canada is not allowing him to practice his religion.
Either that or his lame schizophrenic defense will stick.
Hey! Please keep the discussion civil and tolerant. Your comments are not permissible under the rules of RFD nor the laws of this land.
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4256 posts
452 upvotes
Calgary
"International student"

We don't need him. We don't need to waste money on "giving him the help he needs"

If innocent: send him home.

If guilty: jail, reaming, then send him home
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2013
1201 posts
653 upvotes
Ottawa
Cough wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 1:58 pm
"International student"

We don't need him. We don't need to waste money on "giving him the help he needs"

If innocent: send him home.

If guilty: jail, reaming, then send him home
Ideally, we wouldn't have to waste money even jailing him. Saudi Arabia should foot that bill. Oh wait...
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4256 posts
452 upvotes
Calgary
ps my comments and perspectives and sarcasm have nothing to do with the religion of peace.

We should be offended and affronted if this attack was triggered by a Christian international student from Sweden being triggered to attack someone by reading the Bible

Society doesn't need this shit and we certainly don't need to be the bleeding heart liberals that see good in everyone, no matter what the cost to society
[OP]
Penalty Box
Feb 9, 2013
1201 posts
653 upvotes
Ottawa
Cough wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:08 pm
ps my comments and perspectives and sarcasm have nothing to do with the religion of peace.

We should be offended and affronted if this attack was triggered by a Christian international student from Sweden being triggered to attack someone by reading the Bible

Society doesn't need this shit and we certainly don't need to be the bleeding heart liberals that see good in everyone, no matter what the cost to society
Yes, but Christians have privilege. The Islamic student in this situation is most likely marginalized due to the microaggressions and oppression caused by the fact that he is a person of colour in an overtly racist society.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3864 posts
512 upvotes
iflyplanes wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 2:12 pm
Yes, but Christians have privilege. The Islamic student in this situation is most likely marginalized due to the microaggressions and oppression caused by the fact that he is a person of colour in an overtly racist society.
not guilty ... or islamophobia !
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5407 posts
979 upvotes
Cough wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 1:28 pm
It's the Mad Mahdi. Or the Almost Mahdi Almestadi
wth did I just watch?

Also, like an idiot, I clicked it while I was signed into Gmail. Now I will be profiled by the CIA.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
3864 posts
512 upvotes
I wonder if they are checking the verses he read ... and if he really misunderstood them ...