Students

International Student Applying to Canada After Academic Dismissal in the States

[OP]
Jan 12, 2019
1 posts

International Student Applying to Canada After Academic Dismissal in the States

A year back I was academically dismissed from Stony Brook after doing poorly for 3 semesters,I was suffering from severe depression and myriad of health issues which as of today are much better.
I was hoping to hop back into education but I dont feel like going to the exact college I did before since I have the fear of doing poorly

I am applying to a few Community Colleges in texas in the hopes of living with family but reobtaining an F1 visa is very difficult and as such I would like to keep my options open

I am also planning on applying to Canada but are there any canadian colleges who would accept a student in my situation.
My previous GPA before I left college was 1.80
9 replies
Nov 22, 2017
277 posts
151 upvotes
I've noticed for cases like yours admissions will vary. Your best bet is to directly contact the admission office of the school you are applying for. If you are an international student you are considered a cash cow because international tuition is usually double that of domestic.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1025 posts
422 upvotes
Extrahard wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 9:18 am
I've noticed for cases like yours admissions will vary. Your best bet is to directly contact the admission office of the school you are applying for. If you are an international student you are considered a cash cow because international tuition is usually double that of domestic.
Not for US students, they get the Canadian tuition rate. There's a US/CAN agreement that we pay the same tuition as students from the other respective country (except in the cases where theres in state and out of state, Canadian students pay out of state tuition but not the international tuition rate)
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3831 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
SignedA wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:14 am
Not for US students, they get the Canadian tuition rate. There's a US/CAN agreement that we pay the same tuition as students from the other respective country (except in the cases where theres in state and out of state, Canadian students pay out of state tuition but not the international tuition rate)
So far as I can tell, this is absolutely not a general thing. There are a few schools in the USA (mostly in Florida it seems) that offer tuition discounts to Canadians. I don't know of any universities in Canada that offer American students discounts off the standard international tuition rate. Please let us know where you read about this.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1025 posts
422 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 5:14 pm
So far as I can tell, this is absolutely not a general thing. There are a few schools in the USA (mostly in Florida it seems) that offer tuition discounts to Canadians. I don't know of any universities in Canada that offer American students discounts off the standard international tuition rate. Please let us know where you read about this.
I have various friends who pay the domestic fee in different US schools? Also US students in Canadian uni who pay our fees?

Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3831 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
SignedA wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 6:23 pm
I have various friends who pay the domestic fee in different US schools? Also US students in Canadian uni who pay our fees?
Are you sure they don't hold citizenship in the country where they're attending school? I think there is an Ontario government policy that foreign students who happen to hold Canadian citizenship, or have a parent who holds Canadian citizenship, pay domestic fees at Ontario universities. But I know of no blanket agreement or treaty concerning US students in general, and this thread is the first time I've heard of any such thing. I would love to read more about it -- please provide a link that describes this policy.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1025 posts
422 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 10:12 pm
Are you sure they don't hold citizenship in the country where they're attending school? I think there is an Ontario government policy that foreign students who happen to hold Canadian citizenship, or have a parent who holds Canadian citizenship, pay domestic fees at Ontario universities. But I know of no blanket agreement or treaty concerning US students in general, and this thread is the first time I've heard of any such thing. I would love to read more about it -- please provide a link that describes this policy.
Yeah do your own googling. And they were only Canadian citizens, but feel free to look it up.

Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3831 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
SignedA wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:02 pm
Yeah do your own googling.
I did.

I found one page providing a list of mostly small colleges in the USA (mostly in Florida but a few other states are represented) that provide a tuition discount for Canadians.

On the Canadian side, I looked through the tuition fee lists for U of T, McGill, and UBC and found no mention anywhere of American students paying Canadian tuition rates. Tuition fees are classified based on domestic or international rates. Nothing about a discount for Americans.

I also tried a combination of search terms and could not find anything about a general national policy to provide discounts to Americans attending Canadian universities. I'm not even sure how I'd find one, since education is a provincial responsibility in Canada and a state responsibility in the USA.

I've worked in higher education in Ontario and have never heard of Americans getting preferential fee discounts vs. other international students, at least here, or any government policy to that effect. Hence my curiosity to learn more.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1025 posts
422 upvotes
JHW wrote:
Jan 20th, 2019 11:31 pm
I did.

I found one page providing a list of mostly small colleges in the USA (mostly in Florida but a few other states are represented) that provide a tuition discount for Canadians.

On the Canadian side, I looked through the tuition fee lists for U of T, McGill, and UBC and found no mention anywhere of American students paying Canadian tuition rates. Tuition fees are classified based on domestic or international rates. Nothing about a discount for Americans.

I also tried a combination of search terms and could not find anything about a general national policy to provide discounts to Americans attending Canadian universities. I'm not even sure how I'd find one, since education is a provincial responsibility in Canada and a state responsibility in the USA.

I've worked in higher education in Ontario and have never heard of Americans getting preferential fee discounts vs. other international students, at least here, or any government policy to that effect. Hence my curiosity to learn more.
IDK what to say then, it's what I've heard from friends experiences *shrug*

Sep 12, 2018
91 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
This thread strayed off topic. OP said he/she is trying to get F1 visa. Which means he/she is an international student in the USA. So, even if US students have any preferential rate, it doesn't apply here.
Secondly, I think you can apply and explain. But whether they will accept your application or not, none of us can tell. But you sure have to explain why your result was so poor and how you have recovered.
Virgin Mobile $50/3 GB, QC Plan
Huawei P20 and Huawei Watch 2
HP Pavillion x360 14", 599.99 from Bestbuy