International Student which course/city

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1950 posts
290 upvotes

International Student which course/city

Hi Fellow RFDers,
I hope some of you would be international students here or some of you might have experience in this matter hence asking this.
I am a settled professional in GTA area. My nephew ( 16 years in 2017) wish to come to Canada as an international student. He is in high school in his home country and will pass grade 12 next year . He has Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
I am thinking how to best help him .
1.We are not rich people so if we invest quite bit of money ( I guess international students fees is high) , we will like to see that there is a path to permanent residence. I heard that Ontario it is very difficult to get PR and some provinces like Nova Scotia or Manitoba etc offer something called PNP ( Provincial Nominee program) that international student can benefit from. I am even willing to move to such places with him if needed.
2. Is it good to come here as international student right after grade 12 to do some Post secondary diploma ( or even degree) or complete the degree in his home country and come here for Masters. because he will be 17 years when he passes 12 grade , what kind of course can we put into . If he takes any diploma kind of thing that is for 2 years. He will still not be 21 years when he passes his course to be eligible for PR but then getting PR after education needs some job as well even you go PNP way.
Not sure how to go about all this
Any ideas will be appreciated.
19 replies
Mar 26, 2013
292 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Prince george british columbia, manitoba is good, alberta
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2092 posts
341 upvotes
Edmonton
I would get them into the trades. Great money, easy stress free work. And from there easy to get PR
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Jul 31, 2017
38 posts
11 upvotes
Asker123 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:06 am
Hi Fellow RFDers,
I hope some of you would be international students here or some of you might have experience in this matter hence asking this.
I am a settled professional in GTA area. My nephew ( 16 years in 2017) wish to come to Canada as an international student. He is in high school in his home country and will pass grade 12 next year . He has Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
I am thinking how to best help him .
1.We are not rich people so if we invest quite bit of money ( I guess international students fees is high) , we will like to see that there is a path to permanent residence. I heard that Ontario it is very difficult to get PR and some provinces like Nova Scotia or Manitoba etc offer something called PNP ( Provincial Nominee program) that international student can benefit from. I am even willing to move to such places with him if needed.
International fees will be much much higher than a Canadian would pay and there is no way around that.

2. Is it good to come here as international student right after grade 12 to do some Post secondary diploma ( or even degree) or complete the degree in his home country and come here for Masters. because he will be 17 years when he passes 12 grade , what kind of course can we put into . If he takes any diploma kind of thing that is for 2 years. He will still not be 21 years when he passes his course to be eligible for PR but then getting PR after education needs some job as well even you go PNP way.

Ontario offers PNP as well. All provinces do.

As for coming here for undergrad or grad school, it won't make a difference as he will still be forced to pay international fees. With regards to the course, he can study anything for which he qualifies for admission.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1950 posts
290 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 3:40 pm
International fees will be much much higher than a Canadian would pay and there is no way around that.

Ontario offers PNP as well. All provinces do.

As for coming here for undergrad or grad school, it won't make a difference as he will still be forced to pay international fees. With regards to the course, he can study anything for which he qualifies for admission.
Thanks a lot..
I know Ontario offers PNP but I am not sure if PNP form other provinces will be little easy. When I would put so much effort and money into it, I would like to see do it from a place which offers better chances of PR

as for Undergrad or grad school, I am trying to see if I can get him into some 2 year kind of diploma ( paying internation fees) which can get him some entry level job and then a PR. after that he can pursue his degree etc which PR fees... My research is still on
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1950 posts
290 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 3:27 am
I would get them into the trades. Great money, easy stress free work. And from there easy to get PR
Not sure what you expectly meant bu trades.. Is there any specific course? Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2092 posts
341 upvotes
Edmonton
Asker123 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 4:39 pm
Not sure what you expectly meant bu trades.. Is there any specific course? Thanks
Apprenticeship to become a tradesman. Welder, millwright, mechanic, electrician, plumber fitter.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
lovetolearn wrote:
Jul 18th, 2017 2:57 am
Prince george british columbia, manitoba is good, alberta
I would throw Montreal suburbs in there as well. A great city, but more affordable than Ontario or B.C. if you're near the city. I think school may be cheaper too.

Depending on where he is from, living in the boonies in Canada (Manitoba) could scare this guy off Canada for life. He'll go back to his family with horror stories of -40 degree weather, ice storms, and weekends with nothing to do.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2092 posts
341 upvotes
Edmonton
Corner3 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 2:17 pm
I would throw Montreal suburbs in there as well. A great city, but more affordable than Ontario or B.C. if you're near the city. I think school may be cheaper too.

Depending on where he is from, living in the boonies in Canada (Manitoba) could scare this guy off Canada for life. He'll go back to his family with horror stories of -40 degree weather, ice storms, and weekends with nothing to do.
-40?
whatever doesn't kill him - makes him stronger.
and winter is really not that bad. If people work outside in it, then a short walk or a jog outside in that weather ain't gonna kill him or horrify him by any means.
Its a low of -2 and a high of +5 at work where my buddy is at today. so I am positive winter in the boonies in Manitoba is not bad at all.

And nothing to do? if you are a boring person - you will be bored, but if you are one that always has something to do and keeps busy, there is never a problem. You sound like the former
Dec 24, 2009
29 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Look into Memorial University in Newfoundland. They have one of the lowest international student fees in Canada (if not the lowest), and they have an easy path for PR as long as you stay in the province for a bit after graduation.
Banned
Nov 19, 2014
910 posts
241 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2017 10:55 pm
-40?
whatever doesn't kill him - makes him stronger.
and winter is really not that bad. If people work outside in it, then a short walk or a jog outside in that weather ain't gonna kill him or horrify him by any means.
Its a low of -2 and a high of +5 at work where my buddy is at today. so I am positive winter in the boonies in Manitoba is not bad at all.

And nothing to do? if you are a boring person - you will be bored, but if you are one that always has something to do and keeps busy, there is never a problem. You sound like the former
Would rather be in NYC or San Francisco than Winnipeg or Saskatoon. Think most of the world agrees.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1873 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
Toronto is overpopulated so dont come here, too much competition
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
Montreal was named the world's best city for students this year so...

The living cost is lower, there are are two major English-speaking universities and PR is really easy to get in Quebec if he's not against learning some French. (No need to become fluent.)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
1950 posts
290 upvotes
Thank you so much for your responses so far.
Montreal is out.. He is English speaking with zero French

Still struggling to chose this. He is due to arrive next Fall so I do have some time but want to be prepared for it.
I am getting several advises. Main target is to get it done from a province which offer best chances of getting a PR. No benefit if after spending so much money and efforts if he can't get a PR.
Some people are saying, which ever province you go to, getting a PR depends upon getting a job and chance sof getting a job is highest in Ontario( read Toronto)
but as someone told above too, this is a big place with lots of competition too..
Manitoba is cold ..ok but if it can offer him some carrear , why not...I heard their PNP is good too...Now I dont know how tough it is to get a job in the same field of your study and how strict the immigration people are to assess it for the PR( that the job should be in the same field of study)
Seriously I am finding it a challange to figure this out.. I have a very good job in Toronto but I am willing to move to other privince ( and hopefully be able to get a job. I am in IT project management ) . I know other places will defnitely not offer as many opportunity for me as Toronto but I am ready to compromise to help my nephew.
thx
Mar 16, 2013
66 posts
15 upvotes
treecow wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:04 pm
Look into Memorial University in Newfoundland. They have one of the lowest international student fees in Canada (if not the lowest), and they have an easy path for PR as long as you stay in the province for a bit after graduation.
Second this, they have quite a few solid Professional programs (Engineering/Nursing/Pharmacy/Medicine/Commerce/Computer Science), as well as the standard B.Sc. and B.A. degrees. For international students, tuition is around $5800 per 4 month semester.

Link here