Students

International student need advice

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2017 5:13 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2016
1 posts

International student need advice

Hi! I am an international student. My goal is to become an Engineer but here in Canada university is too expensive for international students, so first I want to attend a college and postpone my eventual academic studies after obtaining the permanent residence.
I like this program at Seneca, "Building Systems Engineering Technician" (http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/BTS.html).
After graduating I will work some years and then attend university for Mechanical/Electrical Engineering. Do you think is a good program? What is your opinion? Thanks everyone
Vincenzo
4 replies
Jan 1, 2015
96 posts
10 upvotes
Guelph, ON
International students are the money makers for universities these days
Aug 16, 2010
409 posts
107 upvotes
lichda wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 1:44 pm
International students are the money makers for universities these days
This. If anyone is doubtful, please go to the corner of Spadina and College. You see where the Mr. Sub/BK/Dental office is? Look up and you will see a massive residential condo style building. That entire building was built as residence for UofT international students. At least this is what I was told was the intended purpose 2 years ago.
Mar 15, 2017
2 posts
Hi Vincenzo,

I wonder how you are right now? I am planning to go to Seneca as well as an international student..
Any thoughts? Can you share your experiences?

I am an Engineering grad as well... electronics field though...

shucks
Nov 19, 2014
729 posts
198 upvotes
vinny97 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 11:13 pm
Hi! I am an international student. My goal is to become an Engineer but here in Canada university is too expensive for international students, so first I want to attend a college and postpone my eventual academic studies after obtaining the permanent residence.
I like this program at Seneca, "Building Systems Engineering Technician" (http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/BTS.html).
After graduating I will work some years and then attend university for Mechanical/Electrical Engineering. Do you think is a good program? What is your opinion? Thanks everyone
Vincenzo
Vinny,

If your end goal is to transfer, then you should look at the Engineering programs at the universities you want to attend. Look at which classes they require for transfer from which universities. Most of this information will be available on their website. If you are unsure, call them. Also, Seneca look up transfer programs at Seneca and talk to an advisor about your goals to transfer.

Engineering programs will have specific prerequisites they require for you to transfer (whether you have a 2-year diploma from a college or not). And these specific prerequisite classes are more important to them then the diploma.

I should also mention that if your goal is to transfer into an engineering program, then you better commit to 2 years of serious academic work. A lot of people get kicked out of their first year of engineering at university and end up at colleges trying to get back in, a decent amount of students are also looking to transfer. It's competitive with lots of people failing to transfer. In many instances, it takes more than 2 years. Unlike business or arts, engineering is probably one of the hardest programs to transfer into.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."