Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 4, 2005
146 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver

Internet fraud information and complaint links

Since a lot of members here deal over the Internet, I thought this would be beneficial to you. I'll be updating this post from time to time, whenever I get additional information. This post is still a work-in-progress, so if you have additional information, please email or PM me.

===== UPDATED: 08/31/05 =====

Canada

Reporting Economic Crime On-Line (RECOL) Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main Internet crime report centre in Canada. It is partnered with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), and the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC). The IFCC is part of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).
www.recol.ca

Phonebusters Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main fraud report centre in Canada, dealing mainly with identity fraud, cheque overpayment fraud, phishing, and other types of fraud (both online and offline). It is operated by the RCMP and the OPP.
www.phonebusters.com

Competition Bureau Online Complaint Form Available
This is the Canadian equivalent of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). It covers only violations of the Competition Act, the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act, the Textile Labelling Act, and the Precious Metals Marking Act.
www.competitionbureau.gc.ca

Canadian Council of Better Business Bureaus (CCBBB) Online Complaint Form Available
This is the Canadian branch of the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It has lots of information on frauds and scams, plus information on how you can contact your local BBB if you're a scam victim.
www.canadiancouncilbbb.ca

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
There are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.rcmp.ca

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)
Similar to the RCMP website above, there are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.opp.ca

USA

Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main Internet crime report centre in the USA. It is part of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).
www.ifccfbi.gov

Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Online Complaint Form Available
The Bureau of Consumer Protection protects consumers against "unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent practices" from businesses. It also has the Bureau of Competition and the Bureau of Economics for antitrust and other violations.
www.ftc.gov

U.S. Postal Inspection Service Online Complaint Form Available
This is the main mail fraud report centre in the USA. It covers only violations committed through the U.S. Mail.
www.usps.com/postalinspectors

Better Business Bureau (BBB) Online Complaint Form Available
There are lots of information on frauds and scams, plus an online complaint form to report fraudulent activities.
www.bbb.org

Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
There are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.fbi.gov

National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C)
Similar to the FBI website above, there are lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.nw3c.org

Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS) of the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
Another website with lots of information about frauds and scams, and how you can protect your identity and credit card information from thieves.
www.cybercrime.gov

International (including cross-border transactions)

econsumer.gov Online Complaint Form Available
www.econsumer.gov

Troll Hunters
www.trollhunters.com
20 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20314 posts
3097 upvotes
Waterloo
nice post
too sad that I've had to use RECOL twice for like $1000 lost in scams @@

anyway, you should add BBB too (it's the same one for US and Canada)
http://www.bbb.org

I have found that BBB work wonders if you get issues with company
companies so far: ICICI, [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink], PayPal (but not too much use b/c PayPal sucks)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
[OP]
Jun 4, 2005
146 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
jerryhung wrote:nice post
too sad that I've had to use RECOL twice for like $1000 lost in scams @@

anyway, you should add BBB too (it's the same one for US and Canada)
http://www.bbb.org

I have found that BBB work wonders if you get issues with company
companies so far: ICICI, [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink], PayPal (but not too much use b/c PayPal sucks)
BBB is already listed. For Canada, it's called the "CCBBB."

Yeah, I know how it feels. I used RECOL before because I (almost) got scammed $6000. But I found out and quickly contacted the USPS Postal Inspectors. They intercepted the package and send it back to me. At the end, I only lost postage and depreciation (these were computer parts, so the price dropped drastically over this time). It tooks 1.5 months to settle, but everything is OK now.

Actually, this is the reason why I made such a post. It's to help get rid of scammers. The more information we know, the better we are at protecting ourselves.

If you have other links, let me know and I'll post it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
5937 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Excellent job! Thanks.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10588 posts
116 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for the great list; Trollhunters is beneficial for us as well, several times they have removed malicious heatware attacks for RFD members.
- Absolute
Nov 11, 2005
66 posts
Its a good thing we can at least stop some fraud on this site. Maybe this thread can list all the IPs of banned fraud users of RFD'er so we call all be safer.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1026 posts
11 upvotes
We can complain about being ripped off from an RFD member?

Is there an official list of scammers? Because i would like to add mine onto it.
Mar 27, 2006
314 posts
5 upvotes
Sarnia
Just wondering if many other people use this site to do online shopping. http://www.***********************/
I gives you a percentage of whatever you buy back through paypal or cheque.
Anyone know if this is a legitimate website :?:
Never trouble trouble, 'till trouble troubles you.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.