• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 6:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23891 posts
9454 upvotes

The internet has ruined recipes

Every moron nowadays has a blog with a 15 page novel with a poorly written recipe on it.
I'd be fine with that if the recipe itself was solid because I could just skip the story. But no.... the recipes itself are just... what.

It's vday and I'm not a baker, so I need a recipe for a dessert. I'm thinking flourless chocolate cake. Sure it's overdone and cliche at this point, but I'm lazy.
What do I do? Check my commercial cook books for a recipe. Nothing.
Ugh. Internet time...

https://www.lanascooking.com/flourless-chocolate-cake/
"Cut a circle of wax paper" ... "Bake at 375F"
Mmm. Delicious wax flavored cake.

Oh and this nugget:
All text and photographs on Never Enough Thyme are copyright protected. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you'd like to post this recipe on your site, please create your own original photographs and either re-write the recipe in your own words or link to this post.

Adapted from King Arthur Flour web site.

Congratulations on rewriting the recipe to use wax paper instead of parchment paper. You did it! You made a recipe!
Oh and nice link back to the original recipe.

How do I delete someone else's web site? :rolleyes:
72 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
12424 posts
2648 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 9:12 pm

Congratulations on rewriting the recipe to use wax paper instead of parchment paper. You did it! You made a recipe!
You might even burn paper in your oven too!
Jul 31, 2008
328 posts
157 upvotes
Markham
OP, didn't you pretty much just do the very thing you are complaining about?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23891 posts
9454 upvotes
mdl.tor wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:12 pm
OP, didn't you pretty much just do the very thing you are complaining about?
Only a half page and not 15.
Plus I'm not making money out of this.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1675 posts
380 upvotes
OR... are we too dependent on internet for recipes? Honestly nowadays I barely cook anything out of the ordinary without looking up a recipe first, even if it's something I've made a few times. My mom used to just eyeball the amount of sugar and milk needed and baked away.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I like looking up recipes online (allrecipes.com, etc) since I won't make anything that doesn't have a very high rating and usually you can get great tips from the comments.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
kmarcie wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:46 am
OR... are we too dependent on internet for recipes? Honestly nowadays I barely cook anything out of the ordinary without looking up a recipe first, even if it's something I've made a few times. My mom used to just eyeball the amount of sugar and milk needed and baked away.
I cook without recipes all the time, but baking is fairly scientific - so I do measure more carefully for most baked goods.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3285 posts
520 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Recipe filter. Gets rid of all the crap and puts the recipe up top. You can even print with it.

Firefox

Chrome.
Last edited by willdacanucker on Feb 12th, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:49 am
I like looking up recipes online (allrecipes.com, etc) since I won't make anything that doesn't have a very high rating and usually you can get great tips from the comments.
I agree with this. Without the internet, where are you getting recipes (assuming you don't have a family member who's amazing at cooking/baking)? In my experience, a lot of recipes from 'celebrity chef' and similar cookbooks are trash, or always require you to have a small amount of some special ingredient that no one actually has in their kitchen. And you paid $50 to find that out.

I'd much rather use a recipe that normal people have posted their opinions on.
May 28, 2012
10268 posts
2419 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've used waxed paper for lining my cake pans for years. No problem with the wax transferring to the cake layers.

My issue with sites like allrecipes is that some users will change a recipe beyond recognition (either in method or by substituting ingredients)...then they complain about how it turns out and give it a poor rating. I agree about the internet ruining recipes...look at foodgawker and a lot of the recipes are for vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, paleo, etc. Most of those recipes just contain dates, coconut and oatmeal...and look like cow pucks. Whatever happened to "normal" food?

It's funny, I have an extensive cookbook collection and browse for new recipes all the time but the most used source is my box of old handwritten recipes that I've been using for years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8658 posts
3065 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 10:49 am
this.
there are millions of recipes out there. stick with well reputable sites that have a high rating for their recipes, read some of the comments from people who have tried the recipe and added their own modifications, and it will "usually" lead to successful results.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:50 pm
this.
there are millions of recipes out there. stick with well reputable sites that have a high rating for their recipes, read some of the comments from people who have tried the recipe and added their own modifications, and it will "usually" lead to successful results.
Exactly, you can usually get a pretty good idea after reading 10-15 reviews (like if everyone says use a bit less sugar, etc), but it has never steered me wrong.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
1930 posts
616 upvotes
Edmonton
I've found some of the recipes are okay, although I definitely agree that most of them have so much garbage to scroll through before you even get to the ingredients. I don't need to read someone's life story.

I use it more for timing unfamiliar things than the actual recipe, as I've gotten to the point where unusual things stand out.

The bigger, recipe-focused sites are more reliable even if the comments are a mix of helpful 'add this to make this recipe even better' and 'I substituted X and it was awful.'
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6804 posts
3969 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Mars2012 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 12:39 pm

My issue with sites like allrecipes is that some users will change a recipe beyond recognition (either in method or by substituting ingredients)...then they complain about how it turns out and give it a poor rating.
I just ignore those users though. It is quite funny when they basically change everything about the recipe, then give the recipe a lousy rating. Recipe called for chocolate chips, almonds and honey (for example), and I used carob, steel cut oats and stevia powder. lolol
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12583 posts
1951 upvotes
City of Vancouver
This is funny, because I was doing a search on how to bake purple potatoes. One site said 375F and roast until cooked. It would be nice to get an estimate of cook time.
De gustibus non est disputandum