None
[OP]
Aug 18, 2015
56 posts
1 upvote
Westmount, QC

Internet/home phone/cable

Hey guys,

I'm moving into a new place and need Internet, home phone, and cable. What's the cheapest way of doing so? Should I call bell and try to get a bundle package or are there hot deals going on that I could get them individually from various companies? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Bell prices are terrible and very noncompetitive. I sometimes wonder what planet they are on when I see their internet prices. Also, you will be FORCE to sign a contract if you want TV. I mean there is no choice, you MUST do a contract with them. Rogers you can get TV and everything without a contract if you like. Both companies have bad customer service, difference is Rogers seems to be making a serious effort to improve, with big results. Bell improving too but not as much.

Customer complaints against Rogers drop significantly
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e29424009/

"Bell Canada has topped the list of CCTS complaints for several years, although its numbers are also trending downwards. In the midyear report, Bell Canada accounted for more than one-third of total complaints with 1,677, down 16 per cent from 1,989 complaints in last year’s midyear report."

I wouldn't do home phone with either of them though, its a rip-off. Get a VOIP from one of the other options. Or even Teksavvy if want something sort of traditional (still needs internet connection though). I think it's like 9.99 a month with Caller ID.
[OP]
Aug 18, 2015
56 posts
1 upvote
Westmount, QC
SuperDuperFox wrote:
Apr 13th, 2016 8:26 am
Bell prices are terrible and very noncompetitive. I sometimes wonder what planet they are on when I see their internet prices. Also, you will be FORCE to sign a contract if you want TV. I mean there is no choice, you MUST do a contract with them. Rogers you can get TV and everything without a contract if you like. Both companies have bad customer service, difference is Rogers seems to be making a serious effort to improve, with big results. Bell improving too but not as much.

Customer complaints against Rogers drop significantly
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e29424009/

"Bell Canada has topped the list of CCTS complaints for several years, although its numbers are also trending downwards. In the midyear report, Bell Canada accounted for more than one-third of total complaints with 1,677, down 16 per cent from 1,989 complaints in last year’s midyear report."

I wouldn't do home phone with either of them though, its a rip-off. Get a VOIP from one of the other options. Or even Teksavvy if want something sort of traditional (still needs internet connection though). I think it's like 9.99 a month with Caller ID.
You're completely right. I want to stay away from hell Rogers or bell the prices are never any good. For internet I came across simconet/carrytel. How are these companies?
Feb 16, 2016
482 posts
148 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
eric91 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2016 4:14 pm
Hey guys,

I'm moving into a new place and need Internet, home phone, and cable. What's the cheapest way of doing so? Should I call bell and try to get a bundle package or are there hot deals going on that I could get them individually from various companies? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
For the internet, go with Carrytel. They're the cheapest at 35$/month for 25/10 unlimited. YMMV. Some people had problems with them but it has always been rock solid for me.

For cellphone, go with Public Mobile. I'm currently in the process to switch with them. You can customize your plans and you can get billed every 90 days for a discount. They use the Telus/Bell towers, so you get good reception.

Don't use a homephone using a bell landline. Use MagicJack for like 40$/year.

I don't use cable, I just stream everything online and use Netflix.
Aug 5, 2012
211 posts
35 upvotes
Shaw has this promotion now. From a flyer in the mailbox, no idea if the deal is good.