Computers & Electronics

Internet modem collecting user data and sending them to China?

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2016 1:50 pm
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
588 posts
201 upvotes

Internet modem collecting user data and sending them to China?

The bottom paragraphs are straight from another thread on RFD.

is there any reason why I shouldn't have to worry about this?

I asked CIK if they can offer their current promo when using my own modem. They refused, saying the promo is offered with KW5262 only, even if I already have another modem from their Approved modems list with specs matching my plan. It still can be used, but a standard service rate will apply.

Given this, I wonder if using the modem on CIK network here may allow another country like China to basically collect all info on millions of local customers here, including their credit card numbers used while on the web, passwords, logins to various bank sites, and all other crap. Despite being encrypted, it can still be collected and then sent for decryption to that country as a large Canada clients database.

Did anyone examine the modem firmware, can it be replaced with Linux like with routers? What do you think guys - spying possible? Otherwise why would CIK discourage folks to use own modem, especially on plans with free KW5262 rental? I read NA buyers of Aliexpress.com started posting in numbers on the web that Ali blocks their transactions demanding copies of their passports, DL and credit cards uploaded to them, even if there was no payment issues. Can it be more of the same "spy deal" pushed by their gov upon large CN companies dealing with foreign clients? I wonder what they're going to use for such a huge number of genuine foreign identity samples collected in various countries?

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/fe ... Chinese-IT
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
566 upvotes
Near Toronto
If your service provider wanted to spy on you, they don't need your modem. All the info goes through them before going out to the internet.

Also, you can't change the firmware on a modem like you can on a router. You can't install Linux on a modem.

Why would they force you to use their modem? Much better trouble shouting if something goes wrong. They know what modem and what firmware number you are using.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
588 posts
201 upvotes
The spy isn't the ISP. It is link to the modem manufacturer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31096 posts
5357 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I doubt the manufacturer is spying on you.

Imagine the amount of resources required to take on such a task. If there are millions of users as you claim, they would need huge storage servers to store the data collected and time to sift through the garbage.

As for your credit information. It is worthless to a large manufacturer. They have more money than you do.

If you're still concerned, switch ISP
Aug 10, 2004
135 posts
6 upvotes
If you worry about that. Do not buy any internet things made in China.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2009
588 posts
201 upvotes
Gee wrote:
May 27th, 2016 3:38 pm
I doubt the manufacturer is spying on you.

Imagine the amount of resources required to take on such a task. If there are millions of users as you claim, they would need huge storage servers to store the data collected and time to sift through the garbage.

As for your credit information. It is worthless to a large manufacturer. They have more money than you do.

If you're still concerned, switch ISP

I don't think it is the manufacturer.
I think manufacturers are getting paid by a third party to have a certain firmware on the modem.
So it is only on the people using certain modem, which I think is Kasda modem, because no one is really selling it in North America,
so no government test was done on it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
31096 posts
5357 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
thetimebytime wrote:
May 27th, 2016 3:22 pm
The spy isn't the ISP. It is link to the modem manufacturer.
thetimebytime wrote:
May 27th, 2016 3:49 pm
I don't think it is the manufacturer.
I think manufacturers are getting paid by a third party to have a certain firmware on the modem.
So it is only on the people using certain modem, which I think is Kasda modem, because no one is really selling it in North America,
so no government test was done on it.
Now you're contradicting yourself. First you claim it is the manufacturer and now you claim it is a third party.

Either way, consider the logistics required.

If you're really that concerned, then switch ISPs, pay a few dollars more if it will let you sleep better at night.
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1306 upvotes
bolomi wrote:
May 27th, 2016 3:44 pm
If you worry about that. Do not buy any internet things made in China.
LoL ...you might as well live in a cave while you're at it, 99.9% of ISP's infrastructure is all made in China, including cellphone service providers hardware. Rogers, Shaw all use Huawei hardware they are the leaders in these fields !
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17991 posts
2545 upvotes
Langley
After you finish making your hat, use the rest of the tinfoIL to wrap up the modem to prevent it from transmitting all your private info.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8861 posts
1661 upvotes
Winnipeg
the chinese firmwares will have dns redirects to their country hence why they are primarily sold in china. You kinda have to expect that if you bought a product not natively released for world wide consumption.