Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2005
2322 posts
50 upvotes

Internet and router question

Hey guys,

I have the Rogers Ultimate internet package and using a WRT54GL running original firmware. What I want to know is, am I getting the most out of connection over WIFI with this G router? I live in a detached house with two stream junkies so I wanna make sure WIFI is as fast as possible. Oh there's a PS3 also.

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
You're internet is not fast enough to saturate the Wireless Router. So no you wont get any faster speeds if you were to upgrade the router. only thing you may notice is maybe some lower pings and maybe quicker response since a new good router will probably be able to handle the load better.

in you're case I would install DD-WRT on the router first before buying a new one. However if you were to buy a new one I would suggest this one, http://ncix.com/products/?sku=45265&vpn ... cture=ASUS
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
81 upvotes
When I owned a '54GL a few months ago, I recall checking smallnetbuilder and finding the maximum simultaneous throughput of the router to be 36Mbps. If that's the case, then it's certainly possible that your 50/2 service could be choking the router, however, I seriously doubt that you're running flat out all the time, and even if you were, server loads and IP routing delays would drive down your steady-state throughput.

You don't say what you're streaming, but Netflix isn't HD and hence won't saturate your router or connection unless you reach ~7 and ~10 simultaneous movie streams respectively. Full-HD video runs at ~20 Mbps, so it's conceivable that a simultaneous pair of these streams could saturate your router, however, I'm not aware of any publicly available services.

You've already got a cracking router (although I ran Tomato, after giving-up on dd-wrt), and IMHO, the only reasons to upgrade would be to get GigE ports (cheaper to buy a switch), or if you've started adding N-wifi devices. In the latter case, the suggested RT-N16 is one of the best available at the price, or if you want/need dual-band, take a look at the WRT610N/E3000 models. If money is no object, the E4200 has ~3x the throughput performance of the '610N/E3000 and a few other enhancements.
May 31, 2011
73 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
The problem about G is, it's very sensitive to distance and barriers. 36Mbps is nominal spec. and it deteriorates significantly with interference.
After switching to Dlink DIR-655, a wireless N, the network speed inconsistency disappeared. ASUS ones should also do the job.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2005
2322 posts
50 upvotes
The household internet activities include: streaming GOMtv.net, HD YouTube, icefilms, Starcraft 2, and a **** load of dramas from the girls.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
81 upvotes
FlynnStone wrote: The problem about G is, it's very sensitive to distance and barriers. 36Mbps is nominal spec. and it deteriorates significantly with interference.
After switching to Dlink DIR-655, a wireless N, the network speed inconsistency disappeared. ASUS ones should also do the job.
Actually, the 36 Mbps number is the total simultaneous throughput (both directions) between the WAN and LAN ports i.e. nothing to do w/ the 54 Mbps nominal throughput of the G-wireless standard. Thus if one's connection really is pulling 50 Mbps, then the router can't handle it under any circumstances.
JiNuWiNe wrote: The household internet activities include: streaming GOMtv.net, HD YouTube, icefilms, Starcraft 2, and a **** load of dramas from the girls.

Unless you're experiencing problems (freezing, pixellation etc. attributed to frame rate), I maintain your current router is fine, but would improve a lot if flashed with TomatoUSB v1.28

However, if you need GigE ports on your internal network, a switch will be less expensive, but if you need N-wifi, upgrading the router is your only option.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)