• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2018 10:15 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 27, 2007
1978 posts
66 upvotes

Interview attire for business casual?

I think the interview calls for business causal.

But, I don't like what I currently have.

Eventually, I'd like to get a suit but I don't think I need it in this case.

Can someone recommend something and where? Not in the GTA although you can recommend/suggest a chain like Moore's, Tip Top Tailors, Winners, The Bay etc. etc.

If you have a GTA suggestion that you must make - then, I will take it under advisement but I'll have to go there some other time. I need these for Wednesday.

I went into a nearby/local Bay but there is no sales person anywhere. I guess that is the norm now. It might even be part of the reason why Sears went under. Their customer service went to practically zilch.

They had some wool suits that was heavily discounted but some didn't have pants - how difficult would it be to find slacks (?) to go with them? I don't need a suit for $800 or super expensive but the suit will probably be for future occasions (unless, I find a good deal in a day or two).

For now, I was thinking a dress shirt and some slacks - but, which colour? I thought maybe white or light blue shirt and grey or navy blue slacks (i.e. dress pants)? I read that you shouldn't wear a tie if you are not wearing a jacket so I was going to skip that this time. I would like to find a blazer but I think I might need a day or more to find one.

Any suggestions? Also, when/if I buy a suit (I want one so I will have it in the future and I might not need to post in fashion forums or ask sales people in stores like Moore's - what to do... :-))....j/k.... I think everyone needs a suit, eventually. Isn't it better to save up for a wool suit even if it's not $1000 - rather than get one of those fake wool or polyester/rayon type suits?

Thoughts? Plz help.... I also don't know my size....I'm not sure how to get the right fit - do you trust those guys in suit stores for accurate fitting/measurements? It's somewhere in between 42R/T and 46R. I have no idea, either, if you have to take a 'corresponding' size of pant or can just look at the suit style/brand and go with whatever size fits. I think there is usually a corresponding size that goes with the suit but I have found it often doesn't fit (me). I was trying them on a while ago when Sears was having their 'going-out-of-business' sale. Never bought anything, though.

(Also: I don't know what a 'perfect fit' is. I have read of/about it but I guess it is something that fits without any wrinkles or a case in which it fits so well, you don't need any alterations?)

The other reason to not go with suit pants right now is I don't think it could be hemmed/altered in time for Wednesday. But, like I said, I want one, eventually, anyway, so I might as well look while I am looking for something for now.

Anyway, for 'business casual' - can I pick a typical dress shirt out, slacks and I already have black dress shoes (no laces). I think I should eventually buy a pair of laced Oxfords but that's for another time.

Any suit/fashion experts that would like to help? I'd appreciate it! (Thanks in advance!!!!/TIA!)
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4800 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
What job are you interviewing for?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1308 posts
437 upvotes
I bought my suit at Moores, they often have clearance sections that are pretty cheap, my new suit that I love was like $200 all in, originally was like $800 or something.

Anyways, don't overdress for an interview, I never wore a tie (I work in IT in 4 major companies up to date) and just wear a dress shirt, some pants and shoes, with the top button opened. If you dress up too much and the place is kind of casual, they may think you don't really fit in right off the bat.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4983 posts
1307 upvotes
Aurora
Personally, when an interview says "business casual", I would still wear a suit. Overdressed is always better than under dressed. That said, "Business Casual" for an interview (on the job business casual can be, admittedly, less dressy) to me means:
  • long sleeve shirt, button cuffs (not french cuffs)
  • jacket (as in sports jacket/coat - not a suit jacket or blazer)
  • trousers (not the same colour as jacket - IMO you can get away with Docker khakis)
  • and tie (optional but I would wear one for a smart look - doesn't have to be too business-y like striped red or blue).
Kind of my idea of business casual (except IMO, first pic jacket is way too tight - I'm not a fan of the current slim cuts. And I'd wear the jacket unbuttoned):
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4800 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
For me, id do dress pants, dress shirt with tie OR jacket, for business casual
Jul 29, 2017
115 posts
76 upvotes
Always overdress rather than under dress.
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
7 posts
7 upvotes
I'd go for a colored shirt so you stand out among the other candidates
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4636 posts
711 upvotes
jo1995 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 9:27 am
I'd go for a colored shirt so you stand out among the other candidates
Yup, wear a bright yellow shirt.
Aug 20, 2018
4 posts
I do interviews for new recruits time to time and definitely dress up. Our interviews are "business casual" but interviewees that wear a suit jacket along with dress shirt and dress pants definitely looks more professional and prepared. I wouldn't say a tie is optional but more towards required. However, not sure what type of position the interview is for so may vary.

-------

Just realized this post is from last week... Hope your interview went well :)
Oct 17, 2015
243 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I am in same boat as OP and so far I have been wearing nice, light coloured, patterned full sleeves shirt with a dress pant. No Tie, no suit (IT jobs)
The two things that matter most in interview when it comes to attire are - how comfortable you look in your clothes and are your clothes appropriate for the job and company.
I have found Bay to have max variety for dress shirts - I wont spend more than $50.
What I want to know is
1. Is a button down shirt and dress slacks combo better than a dress shirt and dress slacks?
2. Which shops do you guys recommend for suits under $500?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)