Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2549 posts
1155 upvotes
Edmonton

Interviews

How do you handle behaviour based interview questions?

I'm surprised that employers are still using this. There doesn't seem to have been much progress made in this area. Putting people on the spot with questions like give me an example of when you did this or that and how you handled it or tell me a bout a time when...

If you have had a successful interview (job offer), what do you focus on, work situations or personal? How detailed do you get? I tend to answer in more general terms like what I would do if I was in a situation but find it difficult to think of specific examples which is what I think they are after.
5 replies
Jun 18, 2018
585 posts
285 upvotes
Toronto
I always try to relate it to work, rather than personal, but really whichever I feel is the best example. And you're right, they are looking for examples. What you did is much more powerful than saying what you would do.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
5463 posts
1126 upvotes
Richmond Hill
if you cant recall such a situation, say what you would do.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9586 posts
1268 upvotes
Try to make is work related as much as possible. And then go for personal. Either way, always refer back to how this may impact work-related situations and try to decipher what skill set they are trying to look into and then answer according to that.
Nov 22, 2017
277 posts
151 upvotes
Main reason behavioral interviews are done is to see communication skills. I don't think anyone pays attention to the answers unless you say something outrageous.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
My answers in interview are usually too dramatic when I haven't encounter the potential situation given. When they say difficult customer, I think very very very very difficult and unpleasant. With that imagination, I freeze and think very very hard.