Investing

Is investing in bonds really necessary in your 20s?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2012 10:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1708 posts
743 upvotes
Calgary
DaleCooper wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 8:38 am
I have read some ridiculous things in my life, but this one tops it.

If at least you provided the reasoning not to short bonds before writing something infantile then I would understand.
The guy is asking about starting a couch potato portfolio. Hence your point about shorting bonds is moot. Nor should anyone take advice from someone that has most likely been banned before and/or spammed the forum.
FunSave22 wrote:Many people who thought they could stomach a 50% loss freaked out during the 2008 crash and sold their stocks, meaning they bought high and sold low.

I don't have a clue if the OP can stomach it or not, but without knowing much about the OP, I'd be hesitant to say they can probably stomach it. Who knows whether they can or not.
I'm not saying it's universal, but it's a lot easier starting out to deal with a big loss than it is when you have a few hundred thousand in your portfolio.
Banned
Jul 14, 2012
132 posts
8 upvotes
TORONTO
wm009 wrote:
Jul 18th, 2012 6:05 pm
Nor should anyone take advice from someone that has most likely been banned before and/or spammed the forum.
Why not?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5246 posts
1070 upvotes
Scarborough
It really depends on your risk and time horizon. I'm 22, and I have 20% of my portfolio in bonds, if it helps.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7973 posts
400 upvotes
I think the baseline was something like the percentage matching your age... but just a guideline. I have zippo in bonds (33yrs old). I'll probably start being a bit more risk adverse when I hit 35 or so.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com