Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal

Investing on the go

I was thinking of buying an Ipod touch with Wi-Fi connectivity. I want to be able to make transactions (buy/sell mutual funds/stocks on TD EasyWeb/WebBroker) online when I don't have access to a desktop pc. Is that possible with an Ipod touch? Does the browser on this device (Safari) allow me to make these transactions? (I never had any Ipod or Iphone devices in the past)
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
1490 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
Is this your home WiFi that you are using? Don't think public WiFi hotspots are very secure...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
JS2K6 wrote: Is this your home WiFi that you are using? Don't think public WiFi hotspots are very secure...
I will be using at work so it will be at a public protected WiFi access. Is that a big security risk?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
JS2K6 wrote: I wouldn't be comfortable doing any banking/financial stuff using a public WiFi hotspot.

http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consumer ... ex-eng.asp
Isn't the browser that is used to trade online make the transactions secure by encrypting the data?
The WiFi access is the one provided at work so there is a protected access that required password.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1913 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bgallagher wrote: Isn't the browser that is used to trade online make the transactions secure by encrypting the data?
Yes. Technically it is the connection between the browser and the TD server that uses SSL to secure the session. This means if people intercept the data, it will just look random.

By securing the wifi router, this adds another level of security, because then only people with access to that network could potentially see the random intercepted data.

Personally, I have no issue trading over this setup.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
boyoflondon wrote: Why not get the mobile app?
not sure about the mobile app, I am getting the ipod touch, not the iphone. The mobile app seems restrictive, the browser is more convenient for me. I am used to the browser.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2011
1151 posts
340 upvotes
One thing you may want to consider is screen size since you're using the browser vs app. An ipad or other tablet may be a better option.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
KMKM wrote: One thing you may want to consider is screen size since you're using the browser vs app. An ipad or other tablet may be a better option.
No no, I will bring this device at work and trade online. I am not carrying an huge ipad with me wherever I go. :facepalm:
Banned
Feb 17, 2007
3190 posts
203 upvotes
Trading on the go you meant. If not, I usually place orders the night before and set an alter to tell me that my order got executed.
No need to look at it closely to get that 1penny saving when buying, or 1 penny higher when selling unless you are talking about penny stocks.

Just use the TD App, they have the mobile trading platform on App store.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
ACC-Major wrote: Trading on the go you meant. If not, I usually place orders the night before and set an alter to tell me that my order got executed.
No need to look at it closely to get that 1penny saving when buying, or 1 penny higher when selling unless you are talking about penny stocks.

Just use the TD App, they have the mobile trading platform on App store.
Right now, I am more TD mutual funds than stocks. So can I buy mutual funds on EasyWeb on an ipod with WiFi connectivity?
Nov 28, 2010
171 posts
39 upvotes
Hi bgallagher. My name is Chris and I work for TD. Hope you don't mind us jumping in. With the TD Mobile App, you can view your TD Mutual Fund balances and holdings only. However, if you go to the full version of EasyWeb in your mobile browser, you can buy and sell TD Mutual Funds. Hope that helps and please give us a call if you have further questions.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3252 posts
2873 upvotes
Montreal
TD_Canada wrote: Hi bgallagher. My name is Chris and I work for TD. Hope you don't mind us jumping in. With the TD Mobile App, you can view your TD Mutual Fund balances and holdings only. However, if you go to the full version of EasyWeb in your mobile browser, you can buy and sell TD Mutual Funds. Hope that helps and please give us a call if you have further questions.
That's what I was thinking, the TD Mobile App only lets you view account info. for the Mutual funds account.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)