None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4218 posts
3130 upvotes
sfrancis wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 9:46 pm
Rod: thanks for sharing your March purchase. For MDA.TO, it seems earnings are pretty flat since 2014, dividend are flat, and they even had a cut not long ago. RBC annual earning estimate for 2017/2018 comes lower compared to Fast Graph, and basically shows flat. I guess the main attraction is low PE comparing with historical level ?
MDA did not cut dividends - every time the dividend curve looks erratic, always check the source, which is their website.. RBC is only 1 company covering them, FAST contains the market consensus by 8 analysts covering the company:

In my opinion, their lower P/E is unjustified given the historic valuation of this business, the potential synergies after acquiring SS/L and the potential acquisition of Digital Globe.

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1102 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
rodbarc wrote:
Mar 5th, 2017 10:13 pm
JNJ is a great long term hold, but that doesn't mean that it should be purchased at any conditions. It's too expensive now. Valuation will come down eventually, and even if it trades higher when it's fairly valued, I'll be more comfortable buying it then, when it provides a better margin of safety. The example below illustrates how purchasing at a high valuation can drag return. Sure, in the long term it will be profitable, but buying high carries unnecessary risks and it drags return overtime. There are better opportunities in the Health Care sector.

Rod
What do you consider to be a better buy in the health care sector at the moment?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4218 posts
3130 upvotes
nikels21 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:35 pm
What do you consider to be a better buy in the health care sector at the moment?
From my list, in Health Care sector, ABBV (Biotech sub-industry) is fairly valued:

CAH (health care distributors) is also fairly valued:

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
Feb 26, 2017
232 posts
58 upvotes
Hi Rod, Thanks for the feedback on IPL and OHI!

Yesterday, I sold most of my shares in RY and doubled my position in TD on the 5% dip (I didn't time it perfectly but bought while it was lower). This is after I've already bought and sold, but how do RY and TD look from a value point of view?
Mar 4, 2007
345 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
Why would you sell RY as a dividend growth investor? Specially to buy another bank.
Feb 26, 2017
232 posts
58 upvotes
I'm questioning the move from RY to TD a bit myself (For banks I also own BNS and now about half a position in RY). This might be a case of too many trades...

Basically I like TD more than RY due to their US exposure and higher dividend growth. I was thinking of adding more before it dropped and I'm planning on keeping what I bought long-term.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1515 posts
75 upvotes
Kanata
Thanks Rod. Good suggestion on checking company website for actual earning and dividend.

Will do some more research on this one.
rodbarc wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:09 pm
MDA did not cut dividends - every time the dividend curve looks erratic, always check the source, which is their website.. RBC is only 1 company covering them, FAST contains the market consensus by 8 analysts covering the company:

In my opinion, their lower P/E is unjustified given the historic valuation of this business, the potential synergies after acquiring SS/L and the potential acquisition of Digital Globe.

Rod
Nov 4, 2012
132 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby
Can I use the receipt as deductible when I subscribe to fastgraph.com?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4218 posts
3130 upvotes
craigslist123 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 6:28 pm
Can I use the receipt as deductible when I subscribe to fastgraph.com?
No.

"You cannot claim on line 221 any of the following amounts:

subscription fees paid for financial newspapers, magazines, or newsletters;"

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... u-eng.html

Rod
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3656 posts
433 upvotes
Montreal
rodbarc wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:02 pm
I wouldn't worry about it. There's no market consensus for FY19, only 2 analysts covering it for long term, and frankly that's too hard to estimate, too many unknowns until there. AQN had good results recently, and the current fiscal year and the next one are looking promising. According to one of the analysts, "Algonquin has undergone a period of significant growth over the last few years, mainly fueled by acquisitions in its renewable power and utilities divisions. Going forward, we see strong growth continuing, albeit at a more sustainable pace. The additions of Odell Wind and Park Water enhance an already impressive slate of projects coming into service, all of which are cost-of-service (utilities) or
long-term contracted (renewable generation) assets. The acquisition of Empire District adds additional scale, diversity and a platform for further growth. Algonquin has also safe harboured PTC eligibility on up to $1.5 billion of pending renewable projects in the U.S."

Rod
Where did you see the number of analysts covering the company for 2019? I couldn't see it in the Analyst Scorecard section. Thanks again.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

kyogyk, rodbarc